1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved BSOD problems "randomly"

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ppg113, 2009/09/20.

1. 2009/10/14
    ppg113

ppg113 Inactive Thread Starter

Im not looking for a huge performance machine (well not atm anyway), just something to resolve my crashes. Just got done slowly.. backing up as much data off of a very bad hard drive in xubunto 9.4 running actively (with in my ram not installed). Was doing constant large file transfers for almost 48hrs total. Didnt crash. Had both dimms installed. One thing that wasnt connected was my additional power connector to my v.card. AND the internet adapter.

edit* waiting for the black friday deals to prob order a new mobo/ram/cpu most likely and maybe sell off my other stuff.

Last edited: 2009/10/14
  2. 2009/10/15
    ppg113

its the weirdest thing. I downloaded fine for about a day with out crashing, so after i shutdown for the night and resumed pc operation the next day I plug back in the secondary optical drive which was removed to connect a defective hdd so i could pull data. ANYWAY, logged in, started downloading, about 30mins or so later bsod.

==================================================
    Dump File : Mini101509-01.dmp
    Crash Time : 10/15/2009 9:32:15 AM
    Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Bug Check Code : 0x0000000a
    Parameter 1 : 00000000`0000002a
    Parameter 2 : 00000000`0000000c
    Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
    Parameter 4 : fffff800`02269370
    Caused By Driver : nwifi.sys
    Caused By Address : nwifi.sys+4a55
    File Description :
    Product Name :
    Company :
    File Version :
    Processor : x64

so removed optical drive and have been downloading all day today w/o a problem. Dont really know if thats the real issue but i will continue to see if this helps. Possible irq problem with 2ndary drive and usb wi-fi adapter? Is that even possible?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/10/15
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'DAy "ppg113 ",

Be so kind and humour me.
    Please update the status quo on the installation you now have please.
    Include all installed software and attached hardware, type make and model, etc.

Particular info on the Seagate HDD, Model, firmware and manufacture date.

Also please tell me what Utility programs you have access to - like # "Micro2000" or "Checkit" ? for preference # ! to test memory with multiple runs over 1 to 2 hours testing to shake any intermittent faults.

Don't bother to re-install or un-install anything at this point of time.

Once I have the information I requested, I will go through a specific boot instruction sequence to isolate the cause of the BSOD.

I just completed a similar task on one of my customers PC's with what we discovered was an intermittent memory problem in one of the 4 modules installed which was slowly destroying the installation of XP Pro SP3, i.e. refused to recognize folders and files, stopped installations of software with false positives of error messages like "password protected installation file" etc. Most looked like possible parasites (viruses) infections but the system was clean. - The system is now running without the BSOD.

Vista Home Premium Yuk - is rather restrictive in security and other optional settings. Vista Ultimate is our minimum standard for Vista - Business is OK, Vista Ultimate is better or Windows 7 Ultimate (a V8 runs better than a V6 or 4 cylinder motor, I think)

pcbugfixer ;)

Last edited: 2009/10/15
  5. 2009/10/15
    ppg113

nvm still crashing

Dump File : Mini101509-02.dmp
    Crash Time : 10/15/2009 4:33:16 PM
    Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Bug Check Code : 0x0000000a
    Parameter 1 : fffffa88`0705cd10
    Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000002
    Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
    Parameter 4 : fffff800`02733268
    Caused By Driver : WN111x.sys
    Caused By Address : WN111x.sys+2d2dd10
    File Description :
    Product Name :
    Company :
    File Version :
    Processor : x64

removed 1 dimm, and both optical drives are now removed along with the ide cable.

Total rig as of now is 1 2g dimm (Kingston brand), 1 Western Digital 1tb HDD (sata), 1 graphics card Evga 9600GT supplimentery power supply NOT connected, 1 mouse PS/2, 1 keyboard (USB), 1 wi-fi adapter (USB) (Wn121t), Speaker (2), 2 140mm case fans.

seagate barracuda 7200.1 250Gbytes

firmware 3.aac

date code 08175

thats whats on the hdd itself.

its not my main hdd IE it doesnt hold my os, just my media and its not the really messed up hdd i was referring to earlier either.

i have stressing utilities. Prime95 (64bit edition), intelburntest, and some other one, something along the lines of occ r something, its on my media drive.

Umm monitoring utilities I have speedfan, cpuz, gpuz, realtemp. And a load of things from Hiren's Boot CD.

pcbugfixer ;)[/QUOTE]

6. 2009/10/15
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day "ppg113 "

Please read this fully and print yourself a hard copy !!

Now I need to confirm some basic information:
    1. your time Zone - Mine is +10 AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Standard Time) currently at 13:08 hours (1:08 pm) Friday 16 Oct 2009 this is to co-ordinate time available to troubleshoot the issue.

2. We need to re-establish a standard Hardware configuration AND a better logic than what you have so far explained, i.e. the Seagate is not my OS HDD - so what is ?

Look at my Specifications as an example.

You need to understand that the information you supply is the Standard configuration, we are not interested at this time with the external or other peripheral equipment, we don't even want to connect it at this time. nor can we work with the mixed miss configured testing current setup - get this back to basic please !!!!

What we need is a standard Hardware setup,
    The Mother board = P5KPL-VM
    This is the link for the driver downloads -
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=i5ktecSJbqQKaa0x&content=download
    make sure you have the latest drivers and firmware on a USB or CD disk

3. Now pretend we are starting from scratch. Power down the PC (Turn it OFF)
    Reconnect (re-seat) all cables and memory modules and cards. Do this by removing all external cables first, now disconnect the main power cable from the power supply to the motherboard - and now re-seat and reconnect all cables.

While connecting the IDE cables (if you are using any IDE channels and devices) ensure that any jumpers on the hard disk drives (HDD) are set to "Master" and are (this is important the way I work) connected at the end of the IDE 80 pin cable (do not use the old 40 pin cable)

If you have a CD or DVD drive connected to an IDE channel, ensure that the jumper is set to "Slave" and is connected to the middle connector on the IDE cable if you are using the same cable that connected the HDD.

SATA Drives are different, and do not require jumpers to configure, however the 1st SATA is the HDD on which the OS (Operating System) is installed (check your motherboard for which is which SATA 1 may be shown as SATA 0 connector on the board)

Then connect any other SATA HDD to the next SATA connector and at the end, connect any SATA CD or DVD drives logically HDD's are on SATA connector 1 and 2, and CD or DVD are on 3 and 4. - trust the logic is clear.

Remember to re-connect the power supply cable to the Motherboard at this time, i.e. after you have re-seated and re-connected all other devices and internal cables.

4. In summary at the start, we only have the normal hardware devices connected, in the correct sequence and connections with correct jumper settings and cable position connection, obviously the memory modules in the 2 slots provided - Important is the fact that both memory modules must be in preference the same type and size, then and the keyboard, and Mouse connected.

Obviously we need the Keyboard and Mouse connected, but outside of the main components, NOTHING else !

Now here is a little trick in making the external connections, Also do this to Humour me - Thanks.

A. - Ensure that all devices like the Monitor (LCD Screen) are powered OFF on their power switch, as are all other devices like external speakers, printers etc which we will connect when the time comes that we need to connect them - but not all at the start !!

B. Now connect the cables in the following sequence: (remember all are OFF, i.e.have no active power connected)
    B1. The main power supply cable to the power supply connector on the PC
    B2. Now turn the power board on so that the connector cable is active (this is not switching the PC on!) we just need the power to the Power supply on the PC active)
    B3. Now connect the Video cable from the monitor to the Video Card connector or if you don’t have one, connect it to the VGA connector on the Motherboard - Remember the Monitor is not powered on i.e. there are no active lights on the Monitor!!
    B4. Now connect the Keyboard and Mouse.
    B5. Now connect the RJ45 network cable or USB (I need to know which) to your Modem for access to the Internet and your ISP. Remember this also was switched OFF !!
    B6. Now connect the Speakers - again remember the power on them is also OFF at this time!!

OK so far so good.

Now read and make sure you clearly understand the BIOS / CMOS setup for your Motherboard- this will become an integral part of the correct setup!!

Now make sure
    - we do have an active power connection for the PC - the mains power is ON
    - turn on the external modem and wait for it to make a connection to the ISP - you should know which auto login sequence it uses and what light show when it has successfully connected !! - this may take up to 4 or 5 minutes - and all light will become steady when a successful connection has been made.
    - turn on the Monitor power
    ** !! Do not turn on the speaker power at this time, nor connect any other external (peripheral) USB or other devices, nor turn them on obviously.

The next sequence is important
    - Now turn ON the PC and immediately go into Setup for the Motherboard.
    - Once there, compare the recommended setting for the baord with what you actually have - and change it where needed !
    - Check the HDD and other peripheral configuration and ensure that the SATA 1 HDD on which we have the OS installed is in fact the 1st boot device, then followed by any other SATA HDD, then IDE HDD(s)
    - Check the CD and DVD sequence to ensure that you know which is 1st in line as this will be the drive we use for any BOOT CD boot ups we may need to perform to run off line tests options.
    - check the firmware version / revision and record the number !!!!
    - when you have checked the Setup for the Motherboard, save and re-boot allowing the system to load the OS.

Once there, Check your Installation to ensure that Windows Explorer shows all devices currently connected like HDD's, CD's DVD's etc, and ensure that you have an Internet connection.
    Now perform a Microsoft Update of the operating system, do this by rebooting when requested and continue to do so until no update remain!

If you have got this far, post the result of having done so successfully before we go to the next step.

pcbugfixer ;)

Last edited: 2009/10/15
  7. 2009/10/16
    ppg113

GMT -8

Just to fully explain my set up as far as my hard drives. I use 2 hard drives at all times. 1 (the western digital 1tb) holds my OS, games, apps ect. 2. My media drive, The seagate 250GB holds all my media (music, pics, downloads ect).

Both HDDs are sata connected.

The 3rd hard drive came in only due to is being corrupted and so i had to remove its data onto another drive (main os drive atm) ATM it is no longer connected. (it was an IDE drive)

I have downloaded and installed every driver for my mobo OTHER then 1. Ethernet port driver BECAUSE i have it disabled in my bios due to it never being used. and 2. intel VGA driver due to it 1 never being used and 2 the install says it does not apply to my system.

FYI i build systems, and do light computer repair as a side job, so you dont have to go step by step, i know your helping but come on ;).

I have 2 optical drives. 1 is one of those super combo drives that read/write everything (cd/dvd) this is the master and the only drive i use. The 2nd is a LG(maker) dvd-rom drive. used like 4 times.

Im a little OSD so i have resetted the sata cables a few times before just so that they are in sequence in the bios (EI main drive is 1 2nd is 2 ect) THis is however not how it is on the mobo. 1st slot is number 1 but the 3rd slot is number 2. in the bios anyway.

Both dimms are filled with KINGSTON 4g kit (2x2gb). Part number (as given by cpuz) is 2g-UDIMM on both modules and week/year is 17/08.

So no speakers/ adapter. kk. >.>

Only cuz i think i love you ;). ANYWAY...

EDIT***
    have done everything just as it says, even though it seems pointless but youve been humored none the less.

Changes from mobo bios defualts as follows...
    Drive A: (floppy) disabled.
    Seriel and Parallel ports Disabled.

3rd boot device Disabled
    2nd boot changed to cdrom
    1st boot changed to HDD
    END changes

Updates have been installed. Even ones i deem usless such as e7 update and e8 install

Last edited: 2009/10/16
  8. 2009/10/16
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'DAy "ppg113 "

Next:

1. Clear all Temp folders and Internet rubbish, temp history etc.
    A good Utility is the CCleaner which also has a Registry Cleaner which we will use later - when i ask you to run it and not before please. Download the CCleaner from here - http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ - and install it please.

2. Run [ chkdsk (drive letter): /f /r ] on all HDD do the C: drive last as it must perform this task at boot time - so when prompted type Y for YES and press enter.
    The task will only run on all other drives in an CMD window except for the active C: drive. Keep an eye on the task while it is performing on each of the drives and note any arrors that may come up and if required action any request

3. Now clear up the setup for me please. List what is connected to the Motherboard and how please. Do this to create a "Base List" we can use for the task now and is also handy for future references.

4. Also give me a list of any installed Utilities for HDD testing etc or the ones available on a CD or DVD that allow the utility to run from a bootable CD or DVD to ensure that the OS and HDD it is on are not mounted as the primary OS disk and the Boot disk runs the OS from it, like a BartCD type Boot Disk.

There is method in this madness, one of which is being, "Very Methodical" and a clear algorithm of instructions just like a good binary code. Do not fail in implementing any of the instructions please.

Please answer my PM

pcbugfixer ;)

9. 2009/10/16
    ppg113

Already had ccleaner ;)

I run chkdsk about 4 times a week :p

okay, i have 2 optical drives both IDE and set as master and slave as needed, then i have 2 hdd's both sata and the main os drive (holds my os and games and apps) is set as sata 1, and sata 2 is my media drive that holds all my media, pics, music, movies ect. I have a usb/speaker output/mic input/ e.sata connector/ and power/reset panal on top (comes with case). I have a 1300w power supply located at the bottom of my case. Above that I have a EVGA geforce 9600GT graphics card plugged into my pci-e x16 slot and its supplimentory power supply connected. I then have 4GB of ram installed. This is a 2x2GB kit made by KINGSTON which is pc2-6400 (800mhz) running @ 800mhz. Then I have a water cooled (antec chiller) Q9300 CPU @ 2.5ghz (333x7.5). My case is a NZXT tempest. This case has 6 case fans. 2 140mm fans on top, 1 120mm in back (on radiator), 2 120mm in the front (located in front of hdd's), and 1 120mm on the side. And holding it all together is my mobo, Asus P5kpl-vm.

edit*

ALSO, have 2 speakers plugged in back, 1 ps/2 mouse (logitek), 1 keyboard (saitek eclipse II), and the netgear adapter (wn121t). All plugged in back. Forgetting anything? Monitor perhapes, Samsung syncmaster t2220MD.

had the wd and seagate utilies and ran them w/o a hitch no problems detected.

erkaay :\

riiiiiiight.

10. 2009/10/16
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day "ppg113 ",

Just a quick question. what CCleaner version ? should be at version 2.24.1010. and did you alter any settings in the Oprtions ?

Please only run the chkdsk utility when trouble shooting - it is not a good idea to run any utilities un-necessarily !

Also, what Internet connection speed do you have, ? your ISP connection plan on cable or ADSL ?

Do you use any Torrent software, and refresh my memory on the Internet Security Suite you have installed - which Firewall, etc ? Obviously ensure that only one of each is running!

pcbugfixer ;)

11. 2009/10/16
    ppg113

2.21.940 2.24 must have been just released as i d/led this one not even 2 months ago offa their site.

only destructive utilities such as ccleaner and that such, when your just running a scan for bad sectors its not any worse then running defrag every friday.

-_- again i use an adapter to connect to unprotected routers. Wn121t. speeds vary as much as 100mbs to 2mbs d/l.

i use utorrent, run malwarebytes and kaspersky along with vista's **** windows defender.

12. 2009/10/16
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day "ppg113 ",

Update the CCleaner please and answer the remainder of the question please, did you make any changes to the Options in the CCleaner ?

uTorrent is at version 1.8.4 - is this what you have ?

Can you get hold of a Mic so we can talk over the YIM ?

Upload got interrupted by other Server maintenance - will continue shortly.

pcbugfixer ;)

13. 2009/10/16
    ppg113

cc updated, no options changed

utorrent is 1.8.4

no

14. 2009/10/17
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day "ppg113 ",

-> means goto next step or option.

1. - Open CCleaner, -> Options -> Advanced
    Change boxes so that the 1st 3 are Un-Ticked and the last 3 are Ticked

Click on -> Cleaner Icon in left margin -> Un-Tick "Cookies" "History" and "Recently Typed URL's "

-> Now run Cleaner with Button on bottom right side of CCleaner Window. Select to do the Cleaning job and if you want to tick the box to stop future viewing of warning pop up window.

-> Click on "Registry" Left Margin -> make no changes to items and simply click on "Scan for Issues" -> When 100% completed and the "Fix selected issues..." button turns from grey to black text, click on the button -> Option then comes up "Do you want to backup changes to the Registry" -> select YES -> Now select the location where we save the backup to default My Documents will do (we save ours on a different HDD and have a custom folder called CCBkUp to which we save the backup) -> once selected, -> click on Save -> the "Fix all Selected Issues" buttom is now in black text -> click on it -> the confirmation popup now comes up and you click on "OK" and it now cleans the Registry.-> when done, all buttons except for "close" are inactive -> click on "close" -> click on X (close) the CCleaner and -> re-boot the system!

2. - After re-boot use the default Windows Defragmenter (unless you have a better one) to optimize the HDD file system -> default options will do. (We use Perfect Disk latest version 10 built 124)

3. - Other question:
    1. Do you have a Defragmentation program other than the default Windows defrag Utility?
    2. Do you have any other Registry cleaners with a "Registry Defrag" option? - like UniBlue Registry Booster 2009 or the like ?

4. Upload still waiting in line - hope it will be done in approx 55 minutes when I will send further instructions to burn a Boot CD with test utilities.
    There will also be pdf files for you to read before you use the boot cd for testing.

5. What is your current time and Date please?

pcbugfixer ;)

Last edited: 2009/10/17
  15. 2009/10/18
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day "ppg113 ",

How is the progress of the tasks going ?

Also, did you read your PM's ?

Uploads are completed.

pcbugfixer ;)

16. 2009/10/18
    ppg113

The new ram i ordered arrived the day before yesterday and so far i have been going 40 hours w/o a crash. Ive been downloading for 30 of those hours, but im not convinced its really solved until i can get a download that "stresses" my adapter as my current downloads are rather slow. I also now that every time i say "oh i think its solved" i end up crashing <1hr later X_X. I would like to have atleast 72hrs uptime before i declare this problem resolved though.

17. 2009/10/19
    ppg113

well its been 71hrs and 30mins since ive installed the new ram and have not crashed once. Im prepaired to say that this issue has been resolved. I thank everyone for their effort and help in trying to resolve the issue.

18. 2009/10/20
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Congratulations. It looks like kudos should once again go to PeteC who suggested this in post #2 some 4 weeks ago.

:cool:

19. 2009/10/20
    ppg113

it was indeed very odd that faulty ram would only crash windows when connected online, but with 60hrs of downloading and event viewer errors gone all things pointed to faulty ram. Again I thank everyone for their time and suggestions.