1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Browser page rendering

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by sandilew, 2014/05/20.

1. 2014/05/20
    sandilew Lifetime Subscription

sandilew Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

For the last several months, I've noticed that the type on many of my web pages, instead of being black, is grayish, making it almost impossible for me to read, without zooming in till the words are huge. Also, depending on the browser I use, the scroll bar is not always easy to see or find.

I notice this especially when using Chrome browser, so I've had to stop using it, even though I really liked it. But I couldn't even find the scroll bar most of the time. The scroll bar in IE is also grey in color.

Is there any way I can change this to make all of the words on any given page, stand out so that it can be easily read? And no, I'm not half blind. Actually, I'm wearing a new pair of glasses and can see better now than I have for quite a while, so it's not my eyes, but something to do with how I see the web pages on my computer. I have not checked into this on any other computer, so I don't know with any certainty it's just on my computer, or if all sites are rendering this way.

As an example, right now, I am using Firefox browser, to my left, under my profile, all the information given there is in grey type, making it appear faded in some way, and not really easy for me to read. Is this just on my computer, therefore something to do with my personal settings? If so, I need to know how to fix it.

Thank you for any help you may provide.
    Sandie

Last edited: 2014/05/20
  2. 2014/05/20
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The stuff on the left is how I see it as you describe it also.

Do you have Clear type on or off? Search box and type in Adjust Clear Type.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/05/20

Hello Mr. Bill,

Yes, I thought of that too, and that was the first thing I did, was to make sure true type was on, and adjusted to suit me well. So it must be something else.

Although the type to the left is grey, it is clear enough for me to read it as is. On some web pages, it is so badly faded out, I can not read it at all.

5. 2014/05/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Sandie, No, you're not seeing things any different to my view. Maybe Arie will be able to explain this for us. Neil.
    This may be adjustable under UserCP?

Last edited: 2014/05/20
  6. 2014/05/20
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Are you experiencing faded out fonts on Windows Explorer too, or is it just your browsers?

I could be dead wrong, but I think you may have a hardware problem.

7. 2014/05/21

No James,

In Windows Explorer, I am not seeing faded or grey type, only on my browsers, and all of them are rendering the same way. So it is quite possible they are designed to do this, but it sure makes reading some of the type difficult for me. And if it's difficult for me, I'm sure it's difficult for others as well. I just need to know that it's not something I can fix, because if I can, I will, to make it easier for me to see and read this light gray type.

8. 2014/05/21
    retiredlearner

You're referring to the lettering under Profile on the left of this page? Neil.

9. 2014/05/21

Yes Niel,

And I find lettering just like that on may websites now, and on some it is so light I cannot read it. The way I make it easier for me to read is to highlight the text, so that it stands out clearer for me to read. What I don't understand, if this is being done intentionally, is why? It is, on some sites, nearly impossible to read. And as I mentioned in earlier posts, even the scroll bar is such a pale grey in color, that often I can't even find it in my Chrome and IE browser. At least in my Firefox browser, the scroll bar is what I am used to seeing, and obvious. Thank goodness for Firefox right now.

10. 2014/05/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Go to your User CP here and try a different theme.

Upper left > User CP > Settings and Options > Edit Options > bottom pf page: Forum Skin.

(I use Blue)

11. 2014/05/21

TonyT,

Your suggestion worked great for this web site, and I am using WindowsBBS Classic, and the profile information is now in black type and easier to read. But using this setting for this site, will not correct the problem on other sites. That does imply though, that there may be a setting that needs to be changed in each browser. But I have no idea what it would be. But at least here, I now have no "grey" wording. LOL

Thank you,
    Sandie

12. 2014/05/21
    retiredlearner

Hi Sandie, My 1st Reply was where I suggested it may be adjusted under UserCP as Tony indicated.
    Can you give us a link to a web site where you still have the problem. Neil.

13. 2014/05/22

Hello Retiredlearner,

Oddly enough, I was just now reading my e-mails, using Gmail website, and received an e-mail where a large amount of the type in the message was in light grey type, instead of black, and I had to highlight that section to read what it said clearly. So I am having this problem certain e-mails as well.

To me that indicates that there is a setting within my computer that I need to change, I just don't know exactly what setting that would be. I've already looked into my "display" settings and tried to correct the problem there, but obviously I've not managed to "fix" it everywhere.

Another website that presents this problem for me is http://www.americangreetings.com/

I used AG all the time, as a paid member, but a lot of the type on their site is in light grey when I look at it. But I also notice it on Hulu.com and YouTube.com, just about every website I might go to, I experience this to some degree. Some a lot more type is in grey than others, but it's there almost everywhere, at least for me it is.

I am more and more thinking it must be a setting I need to change in my display settings, and I will just have to keep playing around and hope that eventually I'll find the right setting to make it work.

I appreciate that so many have tried to help though, and I thank you all.

Sandie

14. 2014/05/22

OK, I have just reset my monitor display to auto settings, and under "display" settings, I've changed the auto size of my text to 125%, and it seems to have helped quite a bit.

It is quite possible, that somehow my monitor settings might have been changed, although I don't know when or how or who, since I've never touched the settings on the front of my monitor until 5 minutes ago. But when checking into display settings. I noticed one setting for "calibrate color." I had never looked into this, but it showed how to change your settings on your monitor, and when I pushed the button, on the front of my monitor, for auto-setting, my monitor became clearer and sharper immediately. So I am assuming that somehow that must have been changed at some time. If by me, it was certainly an accident, and not done intentionally. I then went and increased my text size, and from what I can tell, this is going to work for me, just fine. I will now mark this as resolved, since I can't see any other way of solving this dilemma other than what I've done, which seems to be working just fine now. :)

Have a wonderful day and to everyone, thank you so much for trying to help me.

Sandie

15. 2014/05/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

16. 2014/05/23

Hello TonyT,

Thank you very much. Then, it is not my failing eyesight, and it's not my monitor settings, but websites, many of them, are actually using light grey type on their pages. I can't tell you how helpful it is to know this. That it's not just my imagination.

For the life of me, I can't understand why they are doing this. It makes it so much harder to read the type, especially for older eyes, or anyone with sight problems. I have to highlight the text to read what it says clearly, and that just should not be. But I am ever so thankful to know it was not just me seeing that.

Thank you again, so very much, for verifying this for me.

Sandie