1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Bluetooth peripherals no longer waking computer after Windows 8.1 upgrade

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by nrz, 2014/03/28.

1. 2014/03/28
    nrz

nrz Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forums here. I've posted this question on the Microsoft Community and Tech Support Guy forums, but no one has been able to help me. I thought I'd branch out and see if someone here might have a solution. My problem:

I have a late 2012 iMac that was working mostly fine running Windows 8, but I wanted to do the free upgrade to 8.1 now that Apple has released drivers for it. First, I updated OS X (just to be safe) and then I downloaded and installed the new Boot Camp software/drivers for my computer directly from Apple and per the instructions on the Apple website. Then I booted into Windows 8, went into the app store, and upgraded to Windows 8.1. After the upgrade was done, my installation was mostly the same (it had to reload Office 2013 and it lost some of my folder view settings, but mostly everything seems okay).

However, after the upgrade, I am no longer able to wake the computer from sleep by clicking on the keyboard or trackpad as I was able to do before. They are the default Apple Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. Windows is the only OS I use on the computer and I always put it to sleep, so this is a major hassle for me. I've gone into Device Manager and both devices are set to wake the computer from sleep, but that's obviously having no effect.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

nrz,
  2. 2014/03/29
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

First, I am not a Mac user so I am just gathering more information.

So how do you wake the computer if the keyboard and mouse don't respond? Have you tried resinstalling the KB and mouse drivers?

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/03/29
    nrz

Hi, Bill. Thanks for responding. Just to clarify, even though it's a Mac, I'm pretty much only ever booting into Windows. To answer your questions, yes, I tried reinstalling the drivers, but unfortunately that did not help. For now, I have to wake it with a wireless mouse (USB dongle, not Bluetooth) that I have borrowed from work.

nrz,
  5. 2014/03/29
    Bill

Are you sure the wireless mouse does not use Bluetooth too?

Bill,
  6. 2014/03/29
    nrz

Yes, it's an old Logitech 2.4GHz wireless mouse. It was before they had switched over to using Bluetooth.

nrz,
  7. 2014/03/29
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Check if bluetooth devices have "Allow the computer to switch off this device to save power" set to on. If its on, uncheck it & try again.

8. 2014/03/30
    nrz

rsinfo:

In Device Manager, under Bluetooth, I have my "Apple Broadcom Built-in Bluetooth" receiver. Under Power Management it has "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" unchecked and "Allow this device to wake the computer" grayed out (unchecked). The keyboard and trackpad each have their own listing under the Bluetooth section as well, but neither have a Power Management tab.

I'm not sure what the settings were before upgrading to Windows 8.1, but I was definitely able to wake the computer with my Bluetooth peripherals before the upgrade.

nrz,
  9. 2014/03/31
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Illogical but might work - check the power management settings & reboot.

If it doesn't work, uncheck it again & reboot. Worth a try even if it doesn't make any difference.

10. 2014/03/31
    nrz

I gave it a try, but no luck, unfortunately.

nrz,
  11. 2014/03/31
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Hmm, had a feeling it might not work.

Out of ideas right now. If something pops up, would get back.

12. 2014/03/31
    nrz

Appreciate it.

nrz,
  13. 2014/04/01
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Can you unistall the latest bluetooth driver that 8.1 may have installed ?

14. 2014/04/01
    nrz

I think I did try rolling back the driver and that didn't work, but your suggestion gives me another idea. If I can extract just the Bluetooth drivers from the Boot Camp setup, maybe I can get those (or the old version for Windows 8) to work. Perhaps there's some bug in the full Boot Camp software that's preventing those from being loaded as part of the Boot Camp set. I'll test out your suggestion and my idea this evening when I'm back at home. Thanks!

nrz,
  15. 2014/04/01
    nrz

Hmmm, I uninstalled the driver, but Windows immediately reinstalled a driver for it (an older version). It didn't work, so I went to reinstall the newer version and it said it wouldn't install because it already had the most current version installed. : /

nrz,
  16. 2014/04/01
    nrz

Well, after uninstalling the driver and not having any luck reinstalling a newer version of it, I decided to run the full BootCamp installer again (for the third time). For whatever reason, it seems to have taken this time and is working now. I'm going to wait a couple of days to make sure it stays that way, but if all is well I'll come back to close out the thread.

Bill and rsinfo, I really appreciate your responses. They led me down the path to eventually (hopefully) resolving this.

nrz,
  17. 2014/04/02
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Glad to be of whatever little help I could :)

18. 2014/04/02
    Bill

I hope it sticks. Make sure you do a full shutdown - exit Windows, power off, AND unplug from the wall (or flip master power switch on the back of your PSU, if it has one) for a few (10 or so) seconds. This ensures the ATX required +5Vsb standby, and all residual voltages that may be holding "settings" are totally removed.

Then plug in and boot. If it holds then, you are most likely good to go.

19. 2014/04/02
    nrz

I did do a restart, but not a full shutdown with turning the system off. I'll do that tonight -- thanks!

nrz,
  20. 2014/04/02
    nrz

Bill:

When I got home, I was going to try shutting it down for 10 seconds per your suggestion, but the Bluetooth peripherals wouldn't bring it out of sleep again. I woke it with the borrowed wireless mouse and went ahead and shut it down and turned the power off for 10 seconds. I turned it back on, gave it a few minutes to load up, then put it into sleep. This time, the peripherals woke it, so go figure. I'm still going to give this a few more days before closing out the thread.

nrz,
  21. 2014/04/03
    Bill

After 24 years, 24 days, 15 hours and 55 minutes (approximately! ;)) in the military, I am a professional at "hurry up and wait ". :D

Keep us posted!