1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Black screen with a white dash.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dogwoofwoof, 2012/04/07.

1. 2012/04/07
    dogwoofwoof

dogwoofwoof Inactive Thread Starter

Ok, System restore finished but i'm now behind the white dash, Just the Hp logo at the first few seconds when i turn it on. Any ideas why?

2. 2012/04/07
    dogwoofwoof

Oh and it freezes there, also is there a possibility for an antivirus to delete a virus, because i strongly think it is a virus.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/04/07
    dogwoofwoof

Okay system restore did not work

Tried startup repair it says: If you have recently attached a device to your computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you contiue to see this message contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

I do not have anything plugged in, what else should i try?

5. 2012/04/07
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Try USB based OTLPE.

6. 2012/04/08
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

7. 2012/04/10
    dogwoofwoof

Okay, sorry for the delay. I downloaded the program but when i right click it, the option for 7Zip does not show up. I have W7 any ideas guys?

8. 2012/04/10
    broni

You installed what program?

9. 2012/04/14
    dogwoofwoof

Okay, so here is the summary.

I did system restore, hard disk test, avg rescue CD, and i downloaded the OTLPE, but it does not give me an option on the desktop to put it on the flashdrive.
    By the way, the avg rescue CD booted up, and that was the same CD used to make bootable OTLPE. The OTLPE loads up, but then stops when reached to 100%.

10. 2012/04/14
    broni

See if you can boot another working computer with that USB stick.

11. 2012/04/14
    dogwoofwoof

That's the problem, I can't get it onto the USB. There is no option for extract to in 7 zip. Tried it with Winrar, worked but then got stuck on the loading part.

12. 2012/04/14
    broni

I don't think you're following instructions.

13. 2012/04/17
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Sorry to but in as well.

I've seen the blank screen with the flashing cursor quite a few times. I can't remember it ever being fatal. To me, it says the computer can't find (or is stuck finding) a drive to boot to. Thus, why they suggest disconnecting any external "drives ".

Your hard disk drive might have a bad connection. Your CD/DVD drive might have a bad connection. No matter whether it is a desktop computer or laptop, you should be able to disconnect the (physical) drives and re-connect them. That would be my first step, to rule out a hardware problem.

It might well/probably has a card reader installed, the card reader system will make a drive/s. The card reader might have a bad connection or is malfunctioning.

After checking and reseating whatever drive connections as possible, you can reset the BIOS to defaults. That means going into "startup configuration" when the first HP screen shows at startup (probably by pressing F1 or F2 from those options, you said "F1, F2, F9 or F10 "). Set the BIOS to "defaults ".

You need to work at the BIOS level, before Windows loads. You can go to the HP website and start reading their manuals about the the startup system of the computer.

Me, I think that it is not finding the C: boot drive, it might be trying to boot from another drive.

If there is any consensus, I will move this thread to the Hardware forum.

Matt
    PS: Don't ask for any quick reply from me. It is bedtime here.
    We have responders from all around the globe.