1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Bit Defender Issues

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by James Martin, 2017/02/26.

1. 2017/02/26
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

I've been a long time Avast user, but of late, their free antivirus software is displaying large daily popups encouraging me to either upgrade to the paid version, or install Google Chrome.

Frustrated, I removed Avast from all of my machines, and installed Sophos free, but the program seems to use a lot of memory, so I tried installing Bit Defender (BD) on the laptop, but BD will not install unless I remove Malwarebytes *and* Spyware Blaster. o_O

Anyone here use BD along with Malwarebytes and Spyware Blaster too? If so, how the heck did you accomplish this feat?

2. 2017/02/27
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you tried Windows Defender? It plays well with Malwarebytes. And with those two, you don't need Spyware Blaster. I've been using this setup on all my systems for years (going back to MSE - the earlier version of Windows Defender on W7) with no problems.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/02/27
    James Martin

Not yet, Bill, but I have thought about it. The only thing that held me back was some negative press from sites that rate antivirus products.

5. 2017/02/27
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

If you are using Malwarebytes Premium, then everything is ok. You don't need any other antivirus.

6. 2017/02/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree with Bill. Who better to look after their OS than the manufacturer? I've been a happy user of MSE and Defender having tried other AV programs over the years (including Paid versions) and got sick and tired of the resources to run them and the "SPLASH SCREENS" about buy buy buy our Premium version.

7. 2017/02/27
    James Martin

No premium, just the free version. Malwarebytes is an antivirus too?

Thanks, Neil, I might just give it a go, although I'll be using Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 instead of Defender?

8. 2017/02/28
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Malwarebytes 3.0 is all in one.

9. 2017/02/28
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

I have been using Malwarebytes free to scan for malware for years. I just recently purchased the Premium version and like it very well so far. I use it in conjunction with Windows Defender on my two desktops and laptops. I too had questions about it's antivirus functions, if any, and found the below quoted information at the Malwarebytes website:

So it looks as though Malwarebyte 3.0 is not an antivirus replacement.

10. 2017/02/28
    Bill

If it says Microsoft on it, there will be negative press. That does not make it bad product. Windows Defender (WD) is not in competition with the other commercial products so Microsoft does not develop WD with the goal of scoring well on those test sites. It develops WD to thwart the current threats in circulation today. And it does that very well.
    :( I keep seeing comments like this and it is disturbing such misinformation continues.

"Malware" is a catchall term for all sorts of malicious software to include viruses, worms, spyware, and more. To say Malwarebytes does not protect against viruses is just wrong.

That said, regardless our primary scanner, we should all have a secondary scanner just to verify our primary did not let something slip by.

Bill,
  11. 2017/02/28
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

Bill,
    I didn't say that Malwarebytes didn't scan for viruses - just that it wasn't a replacement for an antivirus. And that conclusion from one of the Malwarebytes staffers:

12. 2017/02/28
    Bill

@virginia - sorry, didn't mean to make it appear I was commenting about what you said. I was commenting on what Maurice was saying.

The point about MB3.x is that it is marketed as a one product solution for all our anti-malware needs, including as an anti-virus solution. So this is something Maurice should be noting too.

That said, I note forum moderators are not official spokespeople for the products. As noted on this page, the new MB3.x stops malware and malware includes viruses.

MIT - Types of Malware
    Symantec: Malware is a single term for virus, spy ware, worm, etc.
    How-To Geek: A virus is a type of malware

13. 2017/02/28
    James Martin

Interesting thread.

I just installed Security Essentials on the laptop to go along with Spyware Blaster and free Malwarebytes. Thanks for the info, all!

My only gripe is that Firefox deemed Web of Trust as spyware and disabled the addon for the time being.

14. 2017/02/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Re-instate it. I got that also. I have used WOT for a number of years and it is a great guide to prevent you going into sites you may not want to. It's the same problem you may strike now and again where your AV program may block new software you are installing.