1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved best linus version to install

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by dispatch trophy, 2012/02/13.

1. 2012/03/07
    dnmacleod

dnmacleod Well-Known Member

Yes, but the main reason for that was that you had a dud image....

You should use any branded DVD-R. I've found TDK to be reliable, but any branded DVD should be fine. Next time, you need to make sure that the iso file is the size you expect it to be :)

dispatch trophy likes this.
  2. 2012/03/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Xubuntu is OK. It's pretty fast and the interface is nice. It looks like this:
    http://www.xfce.org/

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/03/07
    dispatch trophy Contributing Member

dispatch trophy Inactive Thread Starter

I just went back into BIOS and figured out how to knock the IDE (Maxtor hard drive) up to second place in boot order

by selecting it but without pressing Enter, and hitting + (didn't figure it out before!!!)

I am still getting a boot error message when booting up with the Mint CD in the drive, but when I press F1 to "continue" I get to Mint. (I think I may have solved this by setting secondary master and slave to "none ". )

I am going to see if this is related to the master/slave settings.

I cannot find Libre (word processing software) under "other applications" in Mint) so I will have to download it.

I am using Mint now and the links that work when I use Windows do not work with Mint.

Last edited: 2012/03/08
  5. 2012/03/08
    dnmacleod

Thats because its not under "Applications > Other" - its under "Applications > Office > Libre Office Writer." You shouldn't need to download it.

I'm posting this using Mint in a Virtual Machine and I've just checked it :)

Can you be a bit more specific? What links?

6. 2012/03/08

If you're in the opening page, how do you get to "Applications > Office > Libre Office Writer. "?

I was referring to links in this forum. I'm in Mint now and the links seem to be opening.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding my way around the system.

I just found a way into Firefox by accident but it seems to have made a web page out of one of my text files.

When I try to find the Firefox shortcut that is on the desktop in Windows, it does not seem to be there. There is a firefox.exe file that I am not sure about. I have left clicked on it to open with with Firefox but it has a happen of continually opening more pages. I checked the wrong box and it started replicating pages uncontrollably so I had to shut down Mint to stop it.

I am looking for the some sort of clickable link called "applications" The one in the top left does not seem to have any Office in it.

No help menu for Mint when pressing F1.

Last edited: 2012/03/08
  7. 2012/03/08
    dnmacleod

Two images to help you....

Attached Files:

8. 2012/03/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You cannot run Windows programs while using Linux. EXEs won't work.

9. 2012/03/09

My Mint looks a bit different from the photo but there was a software option that had Libre.

When I tried to install Libre however, it told me I had "low disk space, only 6.5 mb."

I don't know which disk Mint is referring to, the CD or C or D drive on the hard disk, both of which have Gigs free.

Then the computer froze and I had to shut off power.

10. 2012/03/09
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

It won't install when running the live cd because the live cd only utilizes a temp dir on the hard disk of a small amount of megabytes, or you don't have enough RAM.

Don't bother trying to install software when running a live cd anyway.

11. 2012/03/09

Yes, I know I a bit short with 512 mb ram

Since Libre Office apparently did not come installed with my Mint, I assume I should download a Libre Office executable when I am in windows and keep on D drive.

Then I can point Mint to the file on D drive??

the Libre Office site has separate download links for Windows and Linux.

Last edited: 2012/03/09
  12. 2012/03/09
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

A cd version of Mint doesn't have the apps/codecs installed as there is not enough space. Download DVD version for everything.

13. 2012/03/09

I just downloaded and installed Libre Office for Windows.

I wonder if I will be able to access this when the Mint CD is running.

14. 2012/03/10
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

No. Windows & Linux LibreOffice are different beasts. Though it runs on both the platforms, the executables are different.

15. 2012/03/10

This means that I cannot download and install Libre Office for Mint at all.
    I cannot download the Linux version when I am running Windows
    and I cannot download and install it when the live Mint CD is running.

But my original problem here was that I could not open Word, when I was running the Mint CD.

This severely reduces the functionality of Mint for me.

It looks like burning a Linux DVD -- in order to get a Word-compatible word processor -- may be the only way to go at this point.

If I try to install Linux on the hard disk it will either wipe the entire hard disk or the entire partition. I could clean out D drive but I would not want to wipe the entire HD at this point.

16. 2012/03/10
    dnmacleod

That's correct. The only way that you'll be able to use Libre Office within Mint is to download the DVD version. The ubuntu Cd has Libre Office built into it though.

Unfortunately, this is the downside of Live Cds - of whatever flavour. You are limited in what you can do with them. However, they do have the advantage that they run completely independently of your existing OS and therefore you can try it out with only minimal risk to your existing system. You CAN, however, read and save documents IF the relevant program is built onto the Cd / DVD in the first place. For example, if you had the DVD version of Mint, you could easily read and save Word documents from and to your hard drive as you wished as Libre Office is on the Mint DVD.

Please remember that the whole point of using the Mint Cd in the first place was to verify whether you could indeed boot from a Cd or not. Now that we know that you can, you should now download the DVD version (if you are able to burn a DVD and boot your Pc with it) or download the Ubuntu Cd to get the extra programs that come with the Ubuntu.

Yes.

No - I wouldn't recommend you do that at this stage.

17. 2012/03/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

As I mentioned earlier, Word is a Windows software program. It won't work in Linux.

What you may not understand is that the files types you are used to in Windows are not universal. Only some file types are universal, such as PDF, JPG, GIF, and other multimedia formats.

EXE stands for Windows Executable file. EXE won't work in Linux. EXE won't work in Apple computers either, though Microsoft does make a special version of Word that does work in Apple computers, it's not an EXE file.

You CANNOT boot from a Linux CD and then run programs that have been installed in Widows, such as Word, or any other Windows software.

Some software is deemed "cross platform ", meaning the software company makes versions for different operating systems. Open Office and Libre Office are such examples. But the specific version MUST be installed in the specific operating system.

Libre Office does come with the latest version of Linux Mint. Read the PDF file here:
    http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

18. 2012/03/14

Can you give the download location of the manual for my computer?

I have a quickstart guide but nothing detailed about BIOS settings.

19. 2012/03/14
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

20. 2012/03/15

The master slave settings are on the CMOS setup page in the system reference manual.

but it only gives the choices not the preferred or default settings.

I keep getting "Hardware monitor has detected an error" when I boot up.

If press F1 boot up continues or F2 to get to the master slave settings.

even if I press f5 to put the settings to default I keep getting this message, and in any case I have to make sure the cd boot is first on the boot page.

So maybe the hardware error is actually this.

If I press F1 I get to the master slave settings page but there is no indication of what the error might be.

21. 2012/03/15
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Master & slave are for IDE drives. The settings in the bios MUST match the jumper settings on the drives. If have 1 hard drive, it's probably set to master.

Check the drives' cables inside the computer. The hard drive is probably on 1 channel (cable) and the cdrom drives on the other channel (cable).

If a hard drive and cdrom are on same cable, then the hard drive jumper should be master & the cdrom jumper slave.