1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Auslogics defragmented drive D]

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by nolacs22, 2014/01/24.

1. 2014/01/28
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yes you would. Save Avast to your desktop then uninstall MSE then reboot and install Avast. Avira is one that is rated pretty good also.

2. 2014/01/28
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

That's *news* to me.

I guess I'll stay with Avast for now. A combination of Avast, Malware Bytes, and Spyware Blaster have paid dividends for me, but I think the best thing I ever did was to install Web Of Trust and Secunia 2.0 (dropped 3.0 for missing updates it should have caught). I run AdwCleaner on occasions too.

To round it out, I also use File Hippo Update Checker, Patch My PC, Ninite, and Qualys Browser Check to keep my programs up to date.

For the record, I used to use AVG antivirus for a number of years, but it became so bloated and intrusive, I gave up on it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/01/29
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It is not true that MS does not recommend MSE anymore. Got a MS link that says that?

Please read what they say. They say MSE is a basic solution and that "baseline does not equal bad ".

Also note that most folks who recommend MSE also urge users to use additional security for manual supplemental scanning to verify all is still good. But note that also applies to all security programs. MBAM/MBAM Pro is often suggested.

Regardless - in this case, James is not using ANY real time solution.

Also, it is critical to remember the USER is ALWAYS the WEAKEST link in security - not the security program. So for sure, if you, as the user, participate in illegal file sharing, are click happy on unsolicited attachments, downloads, and links, or you fail to keep your computer updated, then you definitely need something more than a basic solution.

That said, even the best security is virtually useless if the user opens the door and lets the badguy in.

5. 2014/01/29
    nolacs22

nolacs22 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This has been resolved, I was the thread starter, I thought admin wanted me to make sure my threads were being marked as resolved. This is the 4th time I have come back to this thread to say it has been resolved. Thanks!