1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Are you a member of any social network?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Arie, 2010/10/30.

?

Are you a member of any social network?

Poll closed 2010/11/30.
  1. Bebo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Facebook

76 vote(s)
    50.3%
  3. Friendster

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  4. Hi5

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Hyves

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. LinkedIn

18 vote(s)
    11.9%
  7. MySpace

15 vote(s)
    9.9%
  8. Orkut

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  9. StudiVZ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Tuenti

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Twitter

17 vote(s)
    11.3%
  12. - -

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Other

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  14. No

64 vote(s)
    42.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 2010/10/30
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

Many people are members of multiple social networks, are you?

Arie,
    susanai likes this.
  2. 2010/10/30
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

No way, Jose!:)

I'm editing this to say that I completely agree with leushino. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited: 2010/10/30

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/10/30
    leushino

leushino Well-Known Member

I've no interest in social networks (i.e. Facebook). I think they have their place but for the most part, I find them narcissistic. Why anyone would care what I had for breakfast or how I'm feeling throughout the day is beyond me. But it seems we have this need to tell everything to everyone. For intimate communication I use either the telephone or e-mail. Additionally... I have a life outside the internet and relatively limited time to spend (i.e. waste) online. Life is so much more interesting than simply communicating with cyber persons. Just my two cents.

Bdog, Twinkie, Bmoore1129 and 4 others like this.
  5. 2010/10/30
    jorjab Lifetime Subscription

jorjab Well-Known Member

Although I am a member of 3 sites - Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter, I rarely post. Mainly am a member so that I can follow others more easily. Often find valuable info from posts by people I know. In addition, sites have helped me to find and contact people from my past.

susanai likes this.
  6. 2010/10/30
    boonski

boonski Inactive

No Thanks. I have better things to do. I won't instant message either. Simply send me an Email message or call me on the phone and I'm happy.

Bmoore1129 likes this.
  7. 2010/10/30
    robertjvan

robertjvan Inactive

The only one I belong to is delphiforms.

Beach Boy and derfsch like this.
  8. 2010/10/30
    easytimes

easytimes Inactive

My social network is the group of people I see, every day, as I walk my two Cardigan Welsh Corgis. The dogs attracted them to speak to me, and I have the chance to tell them what great company my dogs are. Actually, I think I have come to prefer the company of my dogs to people. They are far more articulate, understanding, and accommodating.

9. 2010/10/30
    jorjab Lifetime Subscription

jorjab Well-Known Member

Social networking does have its place just as TV, emails, texting, and other ways of communicating do. Sometimes, emails can be overwhelming in terms of the amount we all receive daily. A general spot, where one can go to at leisure, is sometimes easier.

It should not be used for telling everyone about the minute happenings in a life, minute by minute, but it does have a place. It also should not be used to communicate with family and friends that ones sees every day.

For my family, it helps us keep in touch with our daughter. She travels all over Europe and parts of the US for work. She posts her photos on a social web site, such that we and her friends can easily enjoy her travels. This is the easiest alternative for our family members to see her travels and for her to communicate what she sees. We don't use these sites for personal communication, but for general interest to all those with whom which we want to communicate. For example, large amounts of photos cannot be emailed, choosing a common social site solves this problem.

Social networking allows you to communicate, at least initially, with long lost friends across the world. Members of our family have found former friends all over the the states and the world through this communication.

Yes, spending lots and lots of time on these sites, or any web sites or the internet in general, is wasteful. However, if used judiciously, such sites can enlarge your world. Social networking can then be just another useful tool in this wide world of ours.

I did not mean to get on a soapbox about this, but everyone so far seems to be condemning these sites and I don't think they are all that bad.

Jorjab

Admin. likes this.
  10. 2010/10/30
    Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Just have a Facebook account because my kids have one and post photos of them and grandkids. I send them a email if I have something to say.

Russ,
  11. 2010/10/30
    korn

korn Inactive

unfortunately

I joined facebook when someone sent me some pics (I thot I had to join to see the pics). But this was a long time ago and I haven't been back since nor have I answered any of the requests to join my page. I haven't even gone back to see what is written on my 'wall'. I've heard it is nie on to impossible to quit it. But this is the only one I've joined. I don't im people either unless it is the only way to do business with them (and for that I use Trillian which I start up at the moment, do my business, and then terminate the program.

12. 2010/10/30
    Lonestar166 Contributing Member

Lonestar166 Well-Known Member

I agree totally. I have tried Facebook and Twitter. Both are very time consuming, and serve zero purpose in my life. I see it filling a void for others, but personally, I like my life just the way it is.

13. 2010/10/30
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

I use MySpace and Facebook to keep tabs on the family. It turned out to be handy the multiple times I was hospitalized.

jorjab and susanai like this.
  14. 2010/10/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

The only social network site that I am a member of is Facebook. I find that using Facebook is more convienent to keep track of friends and family members instead of trying to remember dozens of phone numbers and e-mail adresses of all my friends and family.

I also use it to catch up on news and join groups that interest me but I try to not spend hours using Facebook if I can avoid it.

jorjab and susanai like this.
  15. 2010/10/31
    susanai

susanai Inactive

Then why bother with a computer?

jorjab likes this.
  16. 2010/10/31
    susanai

susanai Inactive

I found old photos of my dead father after 40 years on Facebook. THAT blew me away.

jorjab likes this.
  17. 2010/10/31
    susanai

susanai Inactive

My family is scattered throughout Australia's eastern seaboard and FB is an easy and good way to stay in touch.

Christer and jorjab like this.
  18. 2010/10/31
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Love spending a few cozy minutes with daughter on Facebook Chat, in real time, just before she wraps up her day. No telephone long distance bill and more personal than email.

Originally Grandson begged me to open account so I could play Frontierville and feed him items needed and as neighbor unlock items. What can I say...can't refuse him to much.

Any other use for Facebook I have not found of value in my life beyond the occasional giggles some of the posts give me. Don't know the people (neighbors) but I always appreciate a good sense of humor.

jorjab likes this.
  19. 2010/10/31
    Clive RH

Clive RH Inactive

Hi,
    I'm with Boonksi on this.
    As for the query from susanai 'why bother with a computer?' Answer: It has many more really useful functions than replacing what one can easily do by 'phone or regular e-mail. However, let those who enjoy the environment of social networking continue to do it - it's their precious time they're consuming.
    Paradoxically, isn't what we're doing here a form of social networking? Ouch! I must look out for that darn petard!

jorjab likes this.
  20. 2010/10/31
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

I'm a member of Facebook & LinkedIn. I have family and friends all over the globe, and there's no better way to keep in contact.

All of my "friends" on these networks are people who I have met in "real" live.

If people I don't know ask to be my "friend" I won't "befriend" them.

Also, non of my friends post every little thing they do in their lives. I'm sure there are people like that (mainly on Twitter?), but I have no interest in that kind of thing. I know people 'wasting' their time with games (farms? maffia wars?) on facebook, but I don't participate in those things.

But my friends & family can follow what I do, pictures I post and such... I have no family of my own in this country (besides my wife's family of course).

jorjab likes this.
  21. 2010/10/31
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

hmmm well lets see Gaming, Office work, Video editing/creation, Audio editing, visiting sites like this, etc etc ......

there's whole lot of things to do on an computer that don't require the hours of mindless drivel found on all social networking sites personally i think the World and the Internet would be a better place without it :eek:

Bmoore1129 likes this.