1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

AOpen MK33 - AMD Motherboard

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Wulfdog, 2005/02/24.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/02/24
    Wulfdog

Wulfdog Inactive Thread Starter

When it comes to mother boards...I haven't got a clue.

I am working on this computer that has an AOpen MK33 AMD motherboard. When I power the PC on....the only thing that happens in the cpu fan runs. No beeps or nothing. Nothing is displayed on the monitor...just the selftest image. I have unplugged everything....taken the mb out...put it back in and only connected the power supply to the mb....nothing.

When I got the pc to work on, I was able to format the hd and load windows back on, etc. I had hooked up a cd rom to load apps (the 1 in it doesn't seem to work) and after I unplugged it and tried to turn the pc on....it does absolutly nothing.

Power is getting to the mb since the cpu fan runs.

What do u think my options are? I am guessing the mb is shot or something. No clue.

Suggestions?

Nick

2. 2005/02/25
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Hi Nick,

My first suggestion would be to reset the CMOS. Instructions should be in the motherboard manual
    http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/mk33.htm
    or
    disconnect all power to the motherboard and remove the battery for a period (1/2 hour or longer).

(NB: You do know about grounding yourself while working inside the case?)

Still no luck, just use one stick of RAM and try it in different slots.
    Reseat the video card or borrow another to try.

Check if any drive lights flash.

Keyboard light flash? It's worth trying a different keyboard (PS2 if you are using USB).

Are the main fans running (power supply fan)? Are they spinning freely.

Let us know how you go.

Matt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/28
    Wulfdog

Mattman...

No luck at all. Tried to reset the cmos, took the battery out, tried a different video card....nothing.

So...pressing the power button on the case to start the computer up works...since the cooling fan on the processor runs.

I think that I am going to find another mb replacement and try that.

Does anyone have a mb like this one or similar that I can try and buy? Need one that will fit the case and make use of the power supply. This computer is used by the local fire dept. Maybe donate it? :) LOL

Thanks.

Nick

5. 2005/02/28
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Nick, you were able to try another video card. It may possibly be caused by one of the other components involved with POST, eg., RAM, the PSU, the CPU. If you know of another PC of the same vintage maybe try swapping those, otherwise, you may go to the trouble of getting another motherboard just to have the same problem.

If you can find a multimeter, test the voltages of the power supply to the motherboard.

If you can't find a similar machine and want to change the m/b, take the RAM sticks out and try starting it. If there are no POST beeps, then the m/b is most likely the culprit. Check the motherboard for capacitors that are swollen or leaking, a sure sign.

Matt

6. 2005/02/28
    Wulfdog

I have already taken the ram out and tried it...but no go.

I do have another comptuer (not the same mb) that doesn't boot up. That power supply and the power supply in this the pc I am having troubles with matchs it. I will swap the power supply...see if that other pc boots and if it works, probablly get a different...cheap mb.

I don't have a meter to test it. I will check if any there is any visual signs in the mb.

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.