1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Alternative Browser

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by miniB, 2003/06/04.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/06/04
    miniB

miniB Inactive Thread Starter

Hi

I would value any opinions on a more stable browser than IE6 ( if there is one .... )

I have just read about Avant browser but as I do not know anyone who has used it ( bar the online reviews ) I am a bit :confused:

I have only ever used Internet Explorer therefore it is very difficult to make the change. I just get a little tired with IE has to close :( It will go OK for days but on the occasion it decides there is something wrong & closes it annoys me :(

Hopefully there is an alternative for Windows XP (HE) that is friendly ;)

2. 2003/06/04
    reboot

reboot Inactive

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/06/04
    El Marinero

El Marinero Inactive

Hallo,

I work for some time now with the Smart Explorer and I think he's very good.
    I can switch to MS or the Smart Explorer!

http://www.smarteque.com/dut/

Here you can download .
    Succes,
    :)

5. 2003/06/04
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

I'm with reboot on this one - I have tried most other browsers but always come back to IE. BTW, neither Smart Explorer nor Avant are standalone browsers - both are simply "dressing" for IE and, therefore, will be no more stable than IE.

6. 2003/06/05
    LinuxGuy

LinuxGuy Inactive

mozilla is a much better browser, IE cant even handle a server PUSH. i dont expect you to know what that is...but it ****** me off.

7. 2003/06/05
    miniB

Thanks to all :)

I just knew I only had to ask here and find out precisely what I need to know ;)

I am always cautious about changing things until I find out the facts first. I am not looking for any frills or speed just thought their may be a browser that provided stability. I really appreciate the ' wisdom ' I have gleaned from all your replies.

One thing I don't need is extra resources being used ! I know others like the quick search etc that the ' dressing ' type browsers provide. I would most likely not use this as I know which search engines I like to use myself.

I will stay with IE for now .... until someday a genuis writes a program that I cannot crash ;)

Just a wee big confused about mozilla - I find referrences to it in my PC + browser test sites show this as something to do with me & I have IE 6 ??????
    Much appreciated :)

Last edited: 2003/06/05
  8. 2003/06/05
    Alice

Alice Banned

9. 2003/06/05
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

Why should it? What advantage is there to a server-push over a client-pull?

10. 2003/06/05
    sailinginbvi

sailinginbvi Inactive

11. 2003/06/06
    Queuedecoton

Queuedecoton Well-Known Member

I am in the process of leaving AOL because of its increasing instability (constant freezes requiring complete closing down of Internet connection), and have been wondering this same thing. But talking to people and reading up on the subject, it seems to me that IE is the most reliable browser around.

No computer function is totally stable - there are too many things that can go wrong (see Murphy's Law) in such a complex setup. But IE seems to reduce them to at least an acceptable minimum. So that's where I am now.

I have just one cavil - I think IE's home page is totally annoying - far too crowded and fussy.:(

12. 2003/06/06
    miniB

Hi

I have just read Arie's article on the future of IE - It certainly made very interesting & useful reading. Including his sad comment at the end. I am not sure if everyone has read it. I am also unsure if I can post the link as it is from the newsletter.

It again raises the question ~ should we all be looking for new browsers :confused: If IE's development is in BIG doubt then it may be we have to find a stable browser for XP ~ Oh Dear :(

I have looked at the Opera link - I did like the fact that it uses less resources.

My search is still ongoing - it was nearly over yesterday when IE decided to crash :eek: I still have IEsp1 as the general opinion seems to be it is the most stable but I am still :confused:

13. 2003/06/06
    Queuedecoton

alternative browsers

I did read Arie's article, and yes, it is depressing, but so is contemplating the end of the world. As long as I don't have major problems with IE I think I'll stick with it. Meanwhile, if somethng really better comes along I'll have time to check it out.

14. 2003/06/06
    miracleman

miracleman Well-Known Member

What they said...

15. 2003/06/07
    cybernut

cybernut Inactive

I'd like to second the recommendation for the Opera browser. After years of using Netscape as my default browser (I avoided IE because I couldn't deal with all the security glitches and endless updates), I finally have switched to Opera 7.11. I find it fast, very flexible, and MUCH less bloated than IE or Netscape (though Silly Dog's Netscape versions help). I love all the features and relatively easy customization.

The one negative I see in Opera is that from time to time it will encounter a site it can't handle. Often, that's because the HTML coding on the site is faulty, but still, IE can handle faulty sites that Opera can't. But reading the Opera forums, I soon found I could easily add lines like "Open in IE ", "Open in Netscape 7 ", and/or "Open in Firebird" to my right-click menu. This way, if I come upon a site Opera can't handle, all I have to do is right click and the same site will open in whatever browser I wish.

Cybernut

16. 2003/06/08
    Queuedecoton

alternative browseers

Interesting and imaginative solution, Cybernut. If IE doesn't pan out for me, I might try that.

17. 2003/06/12
    Hotspur

Hotspur Inactive

Just to pick up on miniB; - yes, it is sad that IE has reached its zenith on the available OS’s, but as the article says, the way forward is for a new OS (and I expect a beefed up successor to IE will accompany it). Just such a new OS is on its way, we all have just two or three years until Longhorn is ready (unless you want to volunteer for beta testing).

H.

18. 2003/06/12
    miniB

miniB will opt OUT of any Beta testing !!!

I have enough problems with the tested things :eek:

Wonder when the STABLE verison of an OS will arrive ? :) Maybe if I did beta test then they would know about all possible crashes before they launched the ' Tested ' version :eek:

19. 2003/06/12
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Why do you think that Longhorn is taking so long to release?
    It's going to be stable. The 3683 Alpha is more stable than 98 on many systems, and 4008 is even better.

20. 2003/06/12
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

It is already out in the form of Win98 SE/IE6

The words " MANY SYSTEMS " is fine. But what about the many systems that it many not be. ?

Whether and OS is stable or not depends a hello of a lot on things other than just the OS itself.

Hence apparently my Win98 SE not having any instability in at least six ( 6 ) months. AFTER I found that I ( the user ) was the problem. Wrong Video drivers. Not wrong for the card but wrong for the system as a whole.

The USERS has as much to do with a system being good or bad just as much as the OS itself.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2003/06/12
  21. 2003/06/12
    Alice

Alice Banned

For those who aren't planning to switch their OS any time soon I would suggest looking around for another browser now, such as Mozilla or Opera, and start using it, if only to get used to something other than IE. That way, the switch to a new browser won't be so difficult, once your version of IE is no longer supported.

I't not a bad idea to have a "back up" browser anyway, in case something happens to IE. You wouldn't want to wait until IE fails or you can't download anything with it.

Mozilla 1.0.1 is already my main browser so I won't miss IE5.5sp2. I plan to stop using IE altogether when it runs out of security patches the end of this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.