1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

All kinds of problems

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by gege55, 2010/06/28.

1. 2010/06/28
    gege55

gege55 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post, which I am using my webtv unit, since my poor old desktop can't go online. I got this 'Genuine Intel" desktop years ago from a place of business who upgraded to all new computers. I put 95/98 on it, then Win ME, up until now I have never tried to get online. Now I have time, and everything I try to per Help Wizard there is either a file missing,or not found..etc.

I have a dial up ISP. When I tried to go online it said, "unable to support current Country setting, change to USA in the tray helper application" I checked all Country settings and it was set to USA, then I was told my Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem was installed wrong, to reinstall or find another modem. In 'help' I proceeded to uninstall & reinstall this modem. Some where along the line, this modem cannot be found, anwhere. I tried to install another internal modem that it recommended and was told my inf. file not found.

So I had a "PC EXPERT" take my pc to get it running,and he said he deleted alot of programs I did not need. It was worse.

After that I don't even know what I did, I was following all those "help" pages. And its a mess.
    Now I don't have a modem, I dont have drives. And I'm about ready to throw it in the dumpster.

Is this machine done or can I restore it. I'd like to start with a blank canvas, but afraid to do anything. I have all the 95/95/ME cds.

One more thing, I bought a new laptop, apparently the only one there, that does not have a dial up port. So I am unable to go online with this pc either. Isn't there a cord or something I can get to go online with my laptop, it has win 7 home premium. I don't want DSL or broadband.

2. 2010/06/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi gege55, Welcome to Windowsbbs. If you try Start > Settings > Control Panel > double click Add/Remove Progams > click Windows Setup, have a look and see what Windows Programs are ticked as installed and if you high light it, click Details to see if the necessary part ie. Internet Connections and what components are installed.
    The "Expert" may have inadvertantly uninstalled a necessary component to enable internet.
    It's a while since I used Windows 98, but I have a HD with '98 on it, so give me some time and I'll get back to you with more info. Cheers Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/06/28
    retiredlearner

5. 2010/06/29
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

If yo don't have an internal modem, you'd need to buy an external modem. Look at "USB Modem" at your favorite retailer.

Arie,
  6. 2010/06/29
    retiredlearner

Thanks for looking in Arie, I forgot to address that part of his Post. Neil.:eek:

7. 2010/06/30
    scgoh123

scgoh123 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is helpful for you....... but you may need it.
    Is your modem attached properly? Because I have the same problem, as exactly as you. I sent the CPU to the "expert" #1, but he ended up deleting my sound cards. But Expert #2 attached the modem in, and finally it worked!

8. 2010/07/10
    Ed999

Ed999 Inactive

9. 2010/07/16
    gege55

gege55 Inactive Thread Starter

so many problems

I am soooooo sorry, shame on me for thinking, I'd have a few days off to deal with my own personal computer problem. I haven't been off the clock since I "sincerely" posted last month. Though, I have since, sold my new toshiba lap top, and only today, was I able to go to a Best Buy, where they have NO external dial up modems, and have no 'plan' or 'reason' to order more, said; I have to go thru the internet and find one....so sorry!

So now, all I have is my ol 95/98/ME desktop, and my webtv. And I still have no an idea of whats going on with, or what to do with the desktop.

I really thank everyone who responeded, but I still won't have the time till, hopefully next week, Wed- Thurs. (and thats a maybe) to read up on your answers. But, I promise, I will go through and read everyones advice, and follow thru.

Again thank you, thank you, thank you.... for all responses. I will definitely post after I've read and tried all that was recommended.

PS & FYI: I'm in the very top, of the formal dining hospitality industry, and it peaked much sooner and faster this season than the past years. Thank you for understanding. JP