1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

add/remove program - rundll appwiz.cpl error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by toddler1138, 2005/11/14.

1. 2005/11/14
    toddler1138

toddler1138 Inactive Thread Starter

clicking the add/remove programs i get the following error.

"shell32.dll, control_runDLL "C:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl" add ro remove programs "

based on another thread i tried

regsvr32 mshtml.dll - worked fine
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i - worked fine
    regsvr32 shell32.dll -i - got "dllintsall in shell32.dll failed, return code was 0xc0000005. "

neither sfc /purgechache or sfc/ scannow seemed to do anything other than the scannow opened a box for about 1/2 a second and closed before i could read anything.

i'm not sure how to access the event viewer so nothing there yet

this nonsence started when norton unexplicably failed, leaving my computer open to infection. i've contained one virus but it (or another) damaged norton so i need to either uninstall/reinstal norton or just update the "live update" function. i can't try either until this little snafu is fixed, i guess; no program ( ie, outlook, norton updates or the like) will run so an online virus scan will not work either.

any help would be huge,
    thanks in advance,
    todd

2. 2005/11/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

toddler1138 - Welcome to the Board :)

A couple of possible solutions here ....

http://forums.myispfinder.org/showthread.php?t=4737

To access Event Viewer right click My Computer icon > Manage > Event Viewer - two relevant sections System and Application - look in System first.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/11/24
    toddler1138

toddler1138 Inactive Thread Starter

hello again,

sorry about the long time getting back- bronchitis and sick kid mean no time for computer.

anyway i followed the directions in the link and its a basic no go.

- when i tried to expand appwiz from the cd a cmd box opened for a split second and closed again before the cd drive spun-up.

- when i tried to run "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,control_fillcache_runDll" i got a runDLL error of " missing entry:control_fillcache_rundll. "

-i tried to look at the event log but when i right click on "my computer" and choose "manage" nothing happens.

let me know if you have any other ideas.

thanks again,
    toddler

has anyone tried PCMightyMax to find/fix problems. i found the link through this forum but i'm always hesitant to run any program found on the web. seems like they always come with their own little spyware problems.

5. 2005/11/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Would you please try to run System File Checker again ....

Start > Run type in sfc /scannow noting the space before the forward slash and have your XP CD handy.

From the quote above the space is in the wrong place and I want to be sure that you typed it in correctly.