1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Accessing a shared folder hangs windows explorer

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by OLDSALTY, 2004/05/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/05/28
    OLDSALTY Lifetime Subscription

OLDSALTY Inactive Thread Starter

My Computer hangs.

edit note: I merged another thread on the same topic to this one so if things look a little jumbled, that's why. Newt

When I try to access one of the shared resources on the other PC (Wifes). My Computer hangs and when I try to close it or end the process the entire PC hangs and I have to reboot. This just started to happen about a month ago. but I didn't worry about because I was too busy with yard work. Now I need to access the files and have to fix the problem. This only happens when I get down to the shared resource.

Housekeeping:
    Windows XP home all pc's
    Cat 5 cables
    D-Link wireless router with a 4 port switch

Last edited: 2004/05/28
  2. 2004/06/02

There are shared folders on two machines. Accessing the shares on the one machine works as normal. However, trying to access shares the other way around makes windows explorer hang.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/06/02
    Newt

Newt Inactive

I imagine you have described your operating systems and other details elsewhere but I don't remember any of them so if you would please post the info here.

- OS on each PC
    - Are you logged on to the PC with username/password?
    - - if so, are they the same or different
    - - - if different and on NT4/2K/XP, is your guest account enabled?

Newt,
  5. 2004/06/02

6. 2004/06/03
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Dang - sorry but I somehow missed your first post on this problem.

Lets see - both running XP-home so you will be using simple file sharing and the guest account should work but maybe not be behaving properly in this case.

This is one of the times I really wish I had a XP-home system to test with so I could be sure I was telling you how home does things since some of the networking/security/sharing stuff is very different in Home when compared to Pro. If anything I tell you to do does not work, that is likely the problem.

Do a little testing if you would. And note that even with auto-logon set up, if you hold down the Shift key while windows is loading, you will block the auto-logon that one time and have to specify a user. Lets say that PC-A is yours and PC-B is hers.

Log on to PC-B, right-click the My Computer icon, left-click Manage and locate the section for Local Users and Groups. You want the users section and when there, to add a new account that exactly matches the one you use on PC-A.

Next open the Guest account and disable it.

Once the new account is created and Guest disabled go to the Groups section and add that account to the Administrator group.

Note that XP really behaves better if the user accounts have passwords so I'd suggest using them. Just make sure the passwords for the accounts are identical on both PCs and it is case sensitive so gotta be identical.

Now to PC-A and do the same so that you have both accounts on both PCs and both accounts added to the Administrator group.

Next, log on to both PCs using the exact same account and see if your connection problems have cleared up. If so, try with your normal Ron and Loni logons and see if it still works.

Newt,
  7. 2004/06/04
    24jedi Lifetime Subscription

24jedi Well-Known Member

Brick...I grew up in Freehold Boro. Move to Virgina in 82.

Anyway,

1. What are the OS's of each computer.
    2. Assuming you are not using a SERVER for DNS/WINS, are you using statically assigned IP's
    3. Have you un-check file sharing on either computer.
    4. Exactly how are you trying to access "what" type of shares...ie..from netowrk neighborhood or windows explorer, printer or files ???

8. 2004/06/05

1. What are the OS's of each computer.
    The both have XP Home.
    2. Assuming you are not using a SERVER for DNS/WINS, are you using statically assigned IP's
    Yes, they are assigned by the router.
    3. Have you un-check file sharing on either computer.
    No
    4. Exactly how are you trying to access "what" type of shares...ie..from network neighborhood or windows explorer, printer or files???
    I open Windows explorer, click on Network Places, click on Entire Network, click on Microsoft Windows Network, click on Mshome, click on the other computer (Loni), then I click on a shared resource on that computer, this is where everything goes to h..l in a hand-basket.

Check this http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?p=161764

Last edited: 2004/06/05
  9. 2004/06/05

OK now that I have done that I have the results. When b is logged on as me(Ron) I can access the shares from a with either user(Ron or Loni). But when I logon b with Loni I get the same problem with either user. B can access files on a regardless of who is logged on where.

10. 2004/06/05
    Newt

Newt Inactive

edit note: I merged another thread on the same topic to this one after making this post so if things look a little jumbled, that's why. Newt

Whoof. Something in the security settings on one machine or the other. Gonna have to think about this one for a while (unless somebody else knows and can post a fix).

Whatever it is, interesting problem.

Newt,
  11. 2004/06/06

I started to get this error on reboot. No luck searching WKB. The pop up window only has and and OK button top left says Message and there is and exclamation mark in white to the left. Here is what it says.

There has been a network error. The update is not available.

12. 2004/06/07

24jedi Well-Known Member

The network you have is peer-to-peer. The problems are typical for this type of network.

1. If your account names are Ron and Loni, Make sure both PC's have identical accounts. Identical meaning= same name, password, acount type (user,admin...), privledges.

2. Shares resources. The security settings for these should be "Validated Users "...but start with everyone first. Also, make sure that both Ron and Loni can access the shares.

3. Personally, I would disable the Guest Account, especially if you are using a broadband router for home use.

13. 2004/06/07

Last edited: 2004/06/08
  14. 2004/06/08

24jedi Well-Known Member

My mistake. Validated users is an XP-Pro thing (as well as nt4/2k). Looking at an XP-home book, it says that by putting the documents in the Shared Documents folder, they become accessible to all users on the home network. The shared documents folder is in the my computer folder.

Reading further, Limited users are unable to see all files outside of the shared documnets folder....only administrators. Again, as a test, create some file and place it in the shared documents folder. Try to access this folder from PC-A, while Loni is logged into PC-B.

Have you made the usernames/passwords the same on both PC's ?

btw... a good book to have for reference is isbn 0-7897-2851-6, Using Windows XP Home. Go to Amazon, plug in the isbn number in the search box. When you get a page displaying this book, look at the new & used link. I have saved a ton of money buying books from this link.

15. 2004/06/08

16. 2004/06/08

24jedi Well-Known Member

I'm stumped.

I am going to load a test box with XP-home. Most of the stuff I am familiar with is 2k/XP-pro on the corporate side.

This is a good lab question :)

17. 2004/06/08

I have noticed if I click on a resource and then go work in the yard for a while. When I return I am connected to the resource. As long as I don't try to close the window I requested the resource in I don't hang the PC, just the process. I don't know how long it takes to connect. Prior to connecting the process in "not running ". When I com back it is up and running again. Weird, very weird!

18. 2004/06/08

24jedi Well-Known Member

What exactly are the resources you are trying to connect to?

19. 2004/06/08

20. 2004/06/08

I have an idea. Maybe if I uninstall the network and reinstall it that will solve the problem. The only thing is I don't know how to remove the network.

21. 2004/06/09

24jedi Well-Known Member

Before you do that, let's try something else.

Create a new user named TED on both machines.
    Make TED a Limited user, not Administrator.

1. Log in as TED on Both machines and access shares.
    what happens...

2. Log in as TED on PC-A, when RON is logged in on PC-B
    what happens...

3. Log in as TED on PC-A, when LONI is Logged on PC-B
    what happens...

If you have problems with number (3), change TED's user rights to administrator ans repeat process. Does this make a difference ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.