1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Access a W XP Virtual machine

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DDow, 2017/12/27.

1. 2017/12/27
    DDow

DDow Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Morning All,
    I am running a dual boot system with W10 Home and W7 Pro, on separate Hard Drives as it happens. Within W7 Pro I have the Virtual machine running via Windows XP mode within which I run Quicken V6. (I like it, anyway).
    I would love to have access to that programme from within W10 via the Virtual Machine or a new VM but cannot work out how I might do that.
    I have considered installing Virtualbox or something similar but I do not have an XP OS Disk, only the product code, hence as I can find nowhere to download XP OS from, I am a bit stuck.
    I would prefer to install XP into a VM in W10 and then load Quicken into that, as I think it will run better, but access from W10 through W7 Pro would be a reasonable alternative,
    Thanks for reading,
    David D

DDow,
  2. 2017/12/27
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Have you considered installing the same VM software on Win10? Odds are you can reuse the XP VM.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/12/27
    DDow

Thank you Steve,
    Will Windows XP Mode work in W10, I thought that it wouldn' do that.
    XP is running in Windows XP Mode in W7 Pro, unless I have misunderstood the intricacies of the situation. I do not have access to an XP OS disc,
    Thanks again
    David D

DDow,
  5. 2017/12/27
    Steve R Jones

6. 2017/12/28
    DDow

Thanks again Steve. I think XP Mode is a "programme" within W7 Pro that allows Old programmes to run in a Virtual XP OS.

Windows XP Mode in Win 10

It appears that this is not compatible with W10, and Hyper-V is not compatable with W10 Home.

Enable Hyper-V on Windows 10

I apologise for throwing links at you, but maybe they can explain my perceived problem better than I can. (Intermediate member may be a little generous).
    So it seems to me that loading something like Virtualbox into W10 and then downloading an XP OS from the Web, and using my old product code might be fairly simple, but where to get XP safely !
    Any suggestions are welcomed and again thanks for your time,
    Regards
    David D

DDow,
  7. 2017/12/28
    Steve R Jones

Food for thought: Find someone that will pay you to haul off their working XP machine that is collecting dust and getting in their way.. The getting paid part is optional...

If your current pc is a Dell, you can probably find hundreds of Dell issued Win XP cd's for free.

8. 2017/12/28
    DDow

I have an old notebook that is running XP, can I copy the OS to a Memory stick (and if so how?) and try to load that into Virtualbox and use my product code with that.
    I am beginning to realise the lack of depth of my IT knowledge, but at least it is not as shallow as it used to be !
    Never owned a Dell.
    Thanks Steve

DDow,