1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

A must have Jewel, a real keeper!

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by mflynn, 2003/07/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/07/17
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

Thank you Mike

BB

2. 2003/07/17
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Hah! Well said.
    ME will only recognize ONE primary partition per system.
    If you add a second drive that's previously been fdisked with a primary partition, it won't show up. It's simply invisible to ME.
    You won't see it, and can't do anything with it, until it's been re-fdisked, meaning you lose any data on it.
    It ***** when trying to get data off any other drive that's been primary in any other system. It can't be done in ME, although it can be done in DOS with a bootdisk, if you can handle the absence of long filename support.
    Partition Magic will work in ME, however, if it requires a restart in DOS mode to do it's thing, it still won't allow a second primary partition in the system.
    XP and 2K can handle primary's, secondary's, virtual, whatever drives/partitions, and NOT squawk about anything.
    If you know how, you can even reletter your primary partition(s), without ******** up the multiboot system.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/07/22
    Thibaud

Thibaud Inactive

Hi all,

Just to let you know that there's a new RegSeeker version available ! (v1.10)
    While it fixes some bugs, there's some new features like :

- Improved Registry Cleaner (with optional drive scan for old exe entries in the registry)
    - New history cleaning : StreamMRU/Streams keys (window placement/size parameters)
    - Easier way to add an entry in the exclusion list (right-click on an item in the listbox)
    - RegSeeker size/position are now saved
    - Bug "type de donnees incorrect" finally fixed
    - More foreign languages

Of course, it's still free. You can get it at http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Enjoy !

5. 2003/07/22
    Thibaud

Thibaud Inactive

Oh, and please, be careful while deleting your registry entries. Be sure to make a backup of it before any deletion ! (at least a full backup is recommended)

Thibaud

6. 2003/07/22
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Agree Mike,
    I recently stumbled across RegSeeker. Thankyou to jvPowerTools 1.4 going shareware. This programme is excellent!

It complements others I use such as EasyCleaner 2.0 Beta 1, RegScrubXP and the free PowerTools 1.3.

When RegSeeker found nearly a couple of hundred invalid entries the others missed, or in the case of jvPowerTools 1.3 (marked in red as do not delete) I was a little worried about deleting them. Did so and no problems on XP/W2K machines!

Further tests may show I can do away with one or both of the others?

Needs an installer/uninstaller and a delete button on the UI, but have already emailed the developers on that. As a beta I can't fault it!

7. 2003/07/22

BillyBob Inactive

I say no to the above.

I think standalone is better by far.

It stays much less Windows version specific I think. As every version of Windows has a tendency to put things in different places and make programing the software much tougher.

And the less buttons on the UI the better. Tehds to make one think a little more.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2003/07/22
  8. 2003/07/22
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Point taken BillyBob,
    But remember it's easy for you and me to manually put a programme some where nice and neat like most other programmes in the Program folder.
    But less savvy users will be throwing these sort of programmes all over the place and directly in folders such as Windows/WINNT. Not good practice at all.
    Alway got to look after the lower common denominator.

One more button on the UI won't clutter it to much either.

Paul

9. 2003/07/30

BillyBob Inactive

Thibaud

Thank you for a great piece of software. Deffinetly worth the price.

I have been putting myself and Regseeker through some tough jobs the last few days.

I have been MOVING things from the Master HD to a Slave HD so both 98SE and XP Pro could use programs from a common slave HD. So far all is going as planned.

My Documents are changed over. Favorites are over. Eudora is over.

I moved Quicken ( which I backed up the Data to a CD FIRST ) from D: to H:

Ran RegSeeker. It found almost 100 entries in the reg of XP. So on the SE drive I unistalled Quicken. It still found about 40 entries in the reg.

So I guess my point is.

BE VERY carefull when using RegSeeker and make sure you remember whether you are moving or REMOVING things.

Also I am finding Windows XP Pro not so tough to deal with as I thought Just sittin here doin nuttin was getting boring.

BillyBob

10. 2003/12/04
    Lonny Jones

Lonny Jones Inactive Alumni

11. 2003/12/05
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Hi All: Question? I ran the new RegSeeker and it found 199 entries that I could have deleted.

A lot of them, maybe the majority were extensions not used and open with not used.

Along with bad ActiveX controls and file not found entries. Is it reasonalbly safe to remove all of them? What is the point of removing unused extensions and open with entries, as you may use them at some point in the future?

Martin

12. 2003/12/05
    reboot

reboot Inactive

The point is to remove as much **** as possible.
    Above about 15 posts, I said that XP will rewrite any needed extentions into the registry automatically, if needed, so only the ones you actually use will be there, all the extraneous stuff gone.
    Again, I stress that I have no idea how Windows 9x will handle this. Proceed with caution.

13. 2003/12/05
    Lonny Jones

Lonny Jones Inactive Alumni

Martin

I use win ME,, with regseeker I exclude all of the so called unused file extensions,, because I'm unsure what would happen.
    probably the same as what reboot says with XP.
    also it tagged a brand new extension.as unused when I had just install a program that put it there..and had been used.

Regseeker is a great tool. but theres no third party registry tool out there thats 100 % safe to use..
    also I exclude any mention of setup and VAR
    If all I had was a windows version without system restore I'd think twice before using any of them..
    So basically if your in doubt don't use it,or at-least research what it finds before fixing/deleting..
    IT does make backups unless a person unchecks that option.
    "bad ActiveX controls and file not found entries "
    I let it delete all those with good results..

Lonny

14. 2003/12/06

martinr121 Inactive

I'm just going to run it, select all, delete, see what happens. If you never hear from me again, you are free to draw your conclusions. Otherwise I'll report back.

Martin

15. 2003/12/06

BillyBob Inactive

Windows 98 with its REG backups ( the RB00x.CAB files ) that it makes using Scanregistry at boot up is just as good,

But it only works with the Registry and not the other files the way ME or XP System Restore does.

But I believe RegSeeker only works on the Registry also.

I have used RegSeeker on 98SE and messed up. Scanreg /restore fixed up my mess up.

BillyBob

16. 2003/12/07

martinr121 Inactive

Did it! Ran Reg Seeker and deleted all 199 entries it found.

So far, only one apparent problem, my packet writing software (Pinnicale's Instant Write) had to be re-installed to get it to work.

Otherwise, I guess I cleaned out a lot of junk.

Martin

17. 2003/12/08

martinr121 Inactive

More developments: Outlook Express problem with opening email with web elements. The web elements would not download/display when email was opened.

Did not want to use backup from RegSeeker and restore all that stuff.

Ran "sfc /scannow" with XP CD in drive. Fixed the problem.

Apparently some of the junk I cleaned out was not junk after all.

Will post any other problems from RegSeeker that develop on this machine. But so far nothing serious.

Martin

Last edited: 2003/12/08
  18. 2003/12/08
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I suspect your problem with OE isn't related to using Regseeker. Running sfc won't restore any registry entries and removing the registry entries won't have any effect on any system files.

19. 2003/12/08

martinr121 Inactive

Maybe so, but all I can tell you is that OE didn't work, ran sfc, OE worked. I don't know what went wrong with it, and I really don't know what fixed it. Maybe just shut down and re-start fixed it for all I know about it.

I know it worked before RegSeeker, did not afterwards, but I had done some stuff in between, so I can't finger RegSeeker. See if anybody else posts similar problems as my last two.

Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.