1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved 1 or 2 blinks on taskbar usually when starting Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by psaulm119, 2018/07/31.

1. 2018/07/31
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

I have noticed very often, after starting Windows or even simply logging in to my user account, I will see the entire taskbar flash once or twice---all or some of the icons will go blank for a quick second or two, then be restored.

This is not the blinking of a program that has loaded but does not have focus; there is no message or any program individually that is causing this--it can happen before I've started a particular program if I'm not mistaken.

I did a search, but all the links that I looked at thought it was one of these instances that I've ruled out.

It appears to me that Windows might be checking for updates, but after seeing this happen this morning, I checked and in the Settings Update section, it still had the last update check being the previous day.

Does this happen with anyone else? Does anyone know what might be causing this? Given that this is only a couple of seconds this is not a major irritation--its just that I tried searching today and didn't think the search results were going to help me, so I got curious.

2. 2018/08/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you checked all connections in case there is a loose/dirty circuit?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/08/01
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If it is just the taskbar (and maybe desktop icons) and not the entire screen, it is likely Windows "refreshing" the icons. If it does not keep doing this during your entire computing session, it likely is nothing to worry about. It does that on my systems too.

That is, if I sit down to a 3 or 4 hour session, I might see the taskbar icons "blink" once or twice. It can be a little distracting, but is not harmful.

Bill,
    jholland1964 likes this.
  5. 2018/08/01
    jholland1964

jholland1964 Well-Known Member

I agree with Bill. I do also have this happen occasionally. I've never worried about it. I truly believe it is the icons refreshing.

6. 2018/08/10
    felicityblue

felicityblue Well-Known Member

It did happen to me a few times too. I made a silly decision to press the power button long so that it shuts down, but it felt very wrong.

7. 2018/08/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member