1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved 3 mins to shut down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kiasuteo, 2011/08/12.

1. 2011/08/12
    kiasuteo

kiasuteo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just upgraded my system to :
    Z68MA-D2H-B3
    I7-2600 3.4GHZ
    8GB DDR3
    WIN 7 ULTIMATE

and I still can't get it to shutdown faster , I tried the method by Evan Omo but it doesn't worked .

2. 2011/08/12
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What does it show when you go into the Task Manager and Applications? Which programs are in there running. Sure sounds like you have lots of stuff running and it is taking time to shut them down.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/08/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Eh? How many times a day do you shutdown? Who cares about shutdown speed? As long as it is < 5m :)

Arie,
  5. 2011/08/12
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi kiasuteo. Like Arie has stated as long your shutdown time is less than 5 minutes then I wouldn't be too concerned. 3 minutes for your shutdown time sounds pretty normal.

If you want to try and get the fastest shutdown time possible then in addition to applying those tweaks above you can also try closing all of your background programs that are running in the system tray. The less amount programs and applications that you have running in real time, the fewer things Windows will have to close when it shuts down.

6. 2011/08/12
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Or just pull the plug. That's guaranteed fastest way to shutdown.;)

But seriously, does it takes 3 minutes for your Win 7 computer to shutdown ? As already suggested, check how many programs/apps are running & shut them down manually.

7. 2011/08/12
    kiasuteo

hahaha.......I like your idea rsinfo , I did try the "clean" start up by going to "msconfig" n untick everything from start up but still the same . fyi , I don't shut down the pc , only reboot once awhile

8. 2011/08/12
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

For the record, my pc takes about 10-20 seconds to shutdown. That's way faster than 3 minutes for you & I am running it on an ancient hardware as compared to you.

9. 2011/08/15
    kiasuteo

Is there really nothing can be done except to reformat ?
    *sigh*

10. 2011/08/15
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Three minutes isn't that big of a deal as long as Windows 7 isn't hanging on shutdown. I've dealt with some computers that have taken a few minutes to shutdown and as far as I'm concerned it seems pretty normal. What happens when you try Safe Mode, does the shutdown time take three minutes if you shut the computer down from Safe Mode?

Try enabling verbose status messaging in Windows so you can see what step is taking Windows 7 the longest to complete when it shuts down, How to Enable / Disable Verbose Startup, Shutdown, Logon, Logoff Status Messages in Windows.

Last edited: 2011/08/15
  11. 2011/08/16
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Well, MrBill asked the question you never answered:

So do this:

• Download DDS and save it to your desktop.
    • Double click the dds icon to run the tool
    • ignore the comments you'll see in the D.D.S. command window
    • When the D.D.S. window closes, 2 new Notepad windows will open with:
      1. DDS.txt
      2. Attach.txt
    • From the Attach.txt window copy & paste the section between
      and
    • From the DDS.txt window copy & paste the section between
      and

12. 2011/08/16
    kiasuteo

Though I replied with "did try the "clean" start up by going to "msconfig" n untick everything from start up but still the same" . Anyway , below is from DDS....hope there is something to work it out . Thanks :D

13. 2011/08/16
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

You are getting hard disk controller errors. And on top of that one of your volumes [G:] is dirty.

Run chkdsk /r on all your drives for start.

14. 2011/08/16
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

15. 2011/08/18
    kiasuteo

After I type in those words & hit ENTER , nothing happen (tried a few times) so I went to cmd but can only check after restart but after restart least than 2 second , it show drive C clean . As for drive D , normal chkdsk & the result show faults & was rectify ( drive C & D are 1 HDD partition ) .
    Somehow for drive E (another hdd no partition) , even in SAFE MODE it can't be reformatted ! It stated "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. than try formatting again. "

Have not tried this yet as I thought since drive C and D are checked & if I reformat drive E , it should be okay but..............

16. 2011/08/18
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

In command prompt type :

chkdsk c: /r <enter>
    fsutil dirty set c: <enter>

You have to reboot & let chkdsk run.

Malware is NOT removed or checked by chkdsk. chkdsk only corrects logical file systems error. You should post in Malware forum.

17. 2011/08/18
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

I wish mine would shut down in three minutes - it usually takes at least 5. Start-up is a bit better on my desktop (about 1:30) but my wifes netbook hangs up and takes anywhere from 15 to 20 MINUTES! It gets to where the MS clock comes up in the task bar in about 45 seconds, then I just get the mouse arrow blinking until whatever the idiot box is trying to do finally works. Then the TClock display and the other icons come to life. During that hang-up, some resident programs will run, but nothing on the netwoek or outside.

I've tried a bunch of suggestions on here, but there's been no improvement, do I declared the item resolved. I'm waiting for son-in-law to visit and take a look.

18. 2011/08/18
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Please start a new thread for your problem fdamp.

19. 2011/08/22
    kiasuteo

Thank to everyone for the help but in a moment of anger , I reformatted the drive & everything was okay as the shutdown time is around 10 seconds BUT after I done all the IMPORTANT WINDOWS UPDATES , the shutdown time became 6 mins !!!!! :mad: Is there a way to remove all those updates ? :confused:

20. 2011/08/22
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

The shutdown time would increase only on first shutdown as Windows has to configure the updates. Next time should be fine.

21. 2011/08/25
    kiasuteo

After many days of reformatting & installing back 1 program at a time & restart to check the shutdown time , I finally found the program that is causing the long shut down time ; TRACK ERASER PRO ! What I don't understand is that it was okay with win xp on my netbook & laptop . So I will put this as SOLVED .