1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows7 PC Froze and Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mr. Chip, 2012/04/04.

1. 2012/04/04
    Mr. Chip Lifetime Subscription

Mr. Chip Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

Twice today my W7 PC froze - the mouse and the keyboard did not work. At first I thought it was the wireless mouse batteries. I swapped them out. Then late tonight it happened and I had to hold the power key down for a hard reboot. The PC will boot in Safe Mode. But it will not boot up in normal mode - after I enter my password it starts to load then hangs.

I thought about going to a system restore point. Besides one made tonight after the first hard crash, the last one is from March 26. Since that time there was one MS Update, an update to a couple of Adobe products and QuickBooks.

I ran MalwareBytes and came clean. Then I started to run Fprot as the first step in posting something to Malware. The Fprot was running at 10% speed in safe mode. I think it will take many hours to complete the scan.

Does this sound like a Malware issue? Should I try system restore point or bite the bullet and run Fprot under safe mode?

I need to get some sleep - its almost 4 am. I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!!!

2. 2012/04/04
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/04/05

Hi Evan,

Sorry for the slow reply. I tried System Restore but the problem still remains. As I type this I am using the computer in normal mode. I suspect sometime soon it will lock up. I have started the process of checking my system for Malware, but so far I think I am clean.

I found the following thread to be very interesting:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-7/99623-random-crashes.html

In it there was a comment that NVIDIA graphics with AMD processors can cause problems. I wonder if this has something to do with my graphics card? My MOBO has built in graphics from NVIDIA too - but I am plugged into a card.

5. 2012/04/05

Event Log Posted for More Info

Hello,

Attached is my Event Log from the past 2 days (errors only) to show you the different problems and how often they occur.

Chip

Attached Files:

6. 2012/04/05
    Evan Omo

What dedicated video card to you have installed? Which AMD processor do you have?

7. 2012/04/05

Hi Evan,

I added my system info so you can see all the details from my Profile to the left. To answer your question, the card is an ASUS (pretty sure) with NVIDIA® GeForce® 315 with 512 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM. The CPU is an AMD Athlon II X4 635

8. 2012/04/05
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

9. 2012/04/05

Hi Arie,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. Yesterday, suspecting like you that I was infected with something, I started the following thread in the Malware section, following your instructions:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/malware-virus-removal/102316-windows-7-pc-keeps-locking-up.html

While running the first four or five diagnostics (including a full scan with Fprot that did not uncover anything), I noticed to my untrained eyes that it seems that I am clean. Of course, I will wait to work with someone on the other thread to verify.

While waiting to hear from someone about my malware post, I did more digging and found a thread that suggested it may be something different than malware. That is why I started this thread. Should I ignore/suspend/close this topic until the one I opened under malware is resolved?

Thanks,
    Chip

10. 2012/04/05
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Just ignore this thread for now till we get the "all clear" from the Malware forum.

11. 2012/04/05

Broni confirmed my PC is Malware Free

Hello,

Broni reviewed the results of the various malware tests and declared my PC malware free. I am back to square one as to what is causing this.

Starting this morning, I removed the Logitech wireless mouse and replaced it with the Acer USB mouse. So far today I only had one freeze up - it was when I was trying to shut down Malwarebytes from one of Broni tests. Can this be due to the wireless mouse?

My NVIDIA drivers are way out of date and I am not sure about the Logitech wireless mouse drivers.

12. 2012/04/05
    Evan Omo

I would update your NVIDIA drivers and the Logitech wireless mouse drivers and see if that solves the problem.

Last edited: 2012/04/05
  13. 2012/04/06

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the suggestions. The only problem is that the computer now refuses to boot up at all - even in Safe Mode. Not sure what is going on. I wonder if it is a Power Supply issue or a bad board. Windows Startup Repair has been unable to fix it after several attempts. Any suggestions?

14. 2012/04/06
    Evan Omo

Uh oh. Thats not good. When the computer attempts to boot up press F8 on startup and select Last Known Good Configuration. See if that option gets the computer to boot up.

What exactly happens though when you attempt to boot up the computer?

15. 2012/04/06

Will try that - I just tried booting in Safe Mode and the computer defaulted to the Start Up Repair - which did nothing so it shut down.

16. 2012/04/07

Updated Status - I am Told its Windows

Hello,

I have some more news. This PC was purchased from Frys and is still under warranty. I took it into the store and they ran a "thorough" hardware diagnostics suite. They say all hardware is OK and that something got messed up in Windows - possibly after a failed patch.

So we now know that I do not have any malware and that the hw is fine. Now my next question is what are my options for fixing the OS? I hope there is some utility like scanfc(?) that can repair Windows 7. Windows was unable to repair the problem at start-up.

BTW - I also pulled my hard drive from the case, put it in an enclosure, and copied all of my files to another computer.

17. 2012/04/07

Need Windows Installation CD

Hello,

This is related to another open thread. I have an Acer Aspire desktop running W7 64 bit. The computer started locking up a few days ago, requiring hard reboots. Now the computer will not boot at all (normally, Safe Mode, Startup Repair all do not work).

Windows is asking that I insert my installation CD. I, like millions of others, bought W7 bundled with an OEM PC and the OEM did not include a CD. What options do I have? I very much want to repair windows and not have to reformat and start from scratch.

18. 2012/04/07
    Evan Omo

Ok, good to know its not a hardware problem. Do you have a Windows 7 DVD?

If you have a Windows 7 DVD, boot from the Windows 7 DVD and click on Repair your computer. Now the System Recovery Options window will open where you will see a list of repair options that you can choose from. Click on System Restore and restore your computer from a few days earlier to when the computer worked.

If System Restore doesn't get the computer to boot up properly, boot from the Windows 7 DVD again, click on Repair your computer and this time in the System Recovery Options window, click on Command Prompt.

When the Command Prompt window opens type the following commands and press enter after entering each one:

BootRec.exe /fixmbr
    BootRec.exe /fixboot
    BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd

Let us know how you get on from there.

19. 2012/04/07
    Evan Omo

You didn't have to start a new thread for this. You could have just posted this in the same thread.

Since you don't have a Windows 7 DVD, if you have another Windows 7 computer try creating a Windows 7 System Repair Disk, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

If you don't have access to another Windows 7 computer to create your System Repair Disk then your only option is to either ask a friend or relative for a Windows 7 DVD/Windows 7 System Repair Disk or buy a Windows 7 System Repair Disk, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...17145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004RDCEQO

20. 2012/04/07

Hi Evan,

Thanks for hanging in there. I do not have a W7 DVD - it came pre-installed on my Acer computer. I started another thread to find out if there is some way for me to get it w/o paying for another license. Have you ever heard of NeoSmart? They sell a product that may help me. Here is a link to it:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

21. 2012/04/07

Hi Evan,

Will you be online for the next 60 minutes or so? As it turns out, I do have a nearly identical PC that is running W7 64bit.

I already tried following the advice on this link:

http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/windows-wont-load-system-repair-disc-fix-pc/

I booted from the DVD, it detected three errors which it said it would fix, but after the "repair" it is insisting on the Installation CD. I want to try and make the DVD you suggested.