1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista You cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Fang, 2007/01/27.

1. 2007/02/02
    Purple Haze Lifetime Subscription

Purple Haze Well-Known Member

2. 2007/02/02
    Meli

Meli Inactive

This issue was covered in the newest edition of Windows Secrets (what I formerly received as the Langa List) enewsletter. It is as was described in TonyT's post - in order to do a clean install with an upgrade disc, you have to load the OS without putting in the product license, not looking for updates, then installing the upgrade over what you've already installed, this time putting in the license and getting any updates available.

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201#story1

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/02/02
    johnregan

johnregan Inactive

Brian Livingstone, in his WindowsSecrets newsletter, explains how to do a clean install from a Vista upgrade disc.

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201/

Hope this helps.

John Regan
    Los Angeles

5. 2007/02/02
    RShady

RShady Inactive

6. 2007/02/03
    bobmc32

bobmc32 Well-Known Member

Hey folks - I intend on sticking with XP for the foreseeable future so I know hardly anything about the intricacies of Vista varieties of install from an upgrade so consider that fact and also I am just the messenger here so just use the info or ignore but don't beat up on me. The first article in http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/070201 goes into a workaround for installing Vista from an upgrade. This info might even have been covered in previous posts in this thread but I didn't think so.
    Oops, I see that that info has now been previously posted. A bit late here but well intentioned.

7. 2007/02/03
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member

I used an upgrade disk to do a clean install, but it was onto a prepared partition so I wasn't offered a format. I was warned when I tapped in the Product Key that I would have to start from inside XP Home, but I deleted the key, selected Next, and the screen appeared with the choice of partitions to choose from.

Oddly enough I have now registered on line, validated the install, but I have still not been asked for the key again

Roger:confused:

8. 2007/02/04
    thedoorway

thedoorway Inactive

Maybe you can do a clean install with an upgrade

The guys at Cloudeight seem to think you can do a clean install with and upgrade and list the steps for doing so, with pictures. So how about those of you who know the ins and outs taking a look to see if this is valid. I don't know enough about it to know or not.

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/answers/clean-install-vista.htm

Just trying to be helpful.

9. 2007/02/04
    Fang

Fang Inactive Thread Starter

That is a good clear explaination of this issue, So if you DONT want to dual boot with an upgrade then this is the procedure to follow.
    Thanks to all for the input. :)

10. 2007/02/04
    bassbug

bassbug Inactive

Clean install with Vista Upgrade

It is possible to do so. Go to this URL and Bryon Livingston will tell you how. If the URL doesn't work right, go to windowssecrets.com
    bb

11. 2007/02/04
    Snooker

Snooker Inactive

It's pretty sad that MS hasn't said anything yet towards this issue towards this upgrade stuff

12. 2007/02/05
    tanstafl

tanstafl Inactive

You might want to check the latest edition of the WindowsSecrets newsletter. Brian Livingston's article lists the procedure for using a Vista upgrade disk to install on an unformatted or newly formatted hard drive. He'll have additional material in the next edition. Go to http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201 for the free version.

The normal caveats apply - uSoft may want to close the hole at some point. :(

13. 2007/02/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Yea, I have been talking with Brian about this.

It is still sad: you can not do a clean install like you could do with Windows XP.

You would start the XP upgrade install, and during the setup it would just ask you to insert a disk of your qualifying product.

With Vista you have to jump through hoops, and it is still not 100% sure it works (did you see anybody mention anything about the fact that you install Vista on top of an installation of Vista which has not been activated? What happens when the 30-day grace period ends? That's something that still remains to be answered.)

14. 2007/02/05

15. 2007/02/05

I forgot to add Arie, that Vista activated OK on line after following the Windows Secrets method.

Roger:)

16. 2007/02/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Sure, I already know that ;)

17. 2007/02/09
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Actually you can buy the OEM version from New Egg cheaper than an upgrade version and you get a free SATA to IDE power adapter to qualify for new hardware. :D :D

18. 2007/02/13
    genefitz

genefitz Inactive

Maybe I can shed some light here..

NO! you can't fresh install with an upgrade key.

Here is where you get past that. It will take some time though.

Install without a key, fresh install your version. After installation, put the disk back in and upgrade to your version, using the key given on your package.

It will take about a hour or so, but you will end up with a fresh install, upgraded to the same version, it won't use anymore hard drive space, and you don't have to deal with the "upgrade madness"

Hope this helps yall out :)

19. 2007/02/13

Hi Genefitz,

See posts #23 and #24, all sorted now.
    Roger