1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

XP Power Settings No Longer Work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobengel, 2006/11/11.

1. 2006/11/19
    Bo Dale James

Bo Dale James Inactive

Same problem

I have the same problem.
    I have a Nvidia geoforce 5200
    When I start XP in safe mode my monitor power settings will work.
    I have the latest Nvidia drivers.
    I was using a 17' viewsonic.
    I now have an lcd...same prob.
    The video card was expensive, so I'm hesitant to replace it.
    I have a feeling Nvidia is the issue. You guys have
    spent a good deal of time on this.

2. 2006/11/19
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

There is no question that a driver issue could lie at the root of the issue. Fortunately, the drivers are revised constantly, so your issue is likely only temporary.

In addition, find the Monitor driver and install it. This contains color profiles and plug-n-play information for XP.

Please do the script in response #17 and test.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/11/19
    bobengel

bobengel Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for your post. I also think it's Nvidia. The monitor control worked before but I can't remember what I did at the time the problem started. It may have been a driver for the video card (mine was expensive, too) that I updated or some other device.

5. 2006/11/19
    bobengel

Bill: I installed a newer version of the monitor driver and ran the cmd program but the monitor problem prevails. Interestingly, the MS certified version of the driver update software failed to actually update the driver after running the installation program. I reverted to the non-certified version and the driver updated accordingly (ver. 1.4.0.36 dated 11/6/2006)

6. 2006/11/19
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Interesting, and thank you for keeping in touch.
    While a small sample, it appears at least on this Forum that the common denominator is NVIDIA.

But oddly that might not be the issue at all, rather it is a false lead.

Could you unplug your wireless mouse (if you are using one) during some idle time (sufficient that a sleep cycle should kick in for the monitor).

Does the monitor now sleep?
    (As you passed my two ACPI tests earlier).

Also, could you post a HijackThis log so I can see running processes?
    Download: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Please place it in a new folder and unzip it. (The new folder so that if we use the utility at some point, it will save Undo files).
    Run the program and click Scan. The Scan button will turn into a log file option. Select that. Copy and paste the logfile back to the Forum.

Then go unplug that mouse.

We will beat this one I promise.

7. 2006/11/19
    bobengel

Well, you kept your promise. I disconnected the wireless mouse that's also part of my wireless keyboard and the monitor went to sleep at the prescribed time!! I don't really use the wireless mouse itself (I use a trackball and have the mouse handy for those who are not used to trackballs) so I will now disable just the mouse by removing the batteries but leave the keyboard plugged in and see what happens. Stand-by for the next exciting post!

8. 2006/11/19
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Pretty good guess about the mouse, no?

You can use Device Manager to disable (not uninstall) the mouse.
    Start, Run, devmgmt.msc
    Expand the Mouse section
    Right click, Disable
    (The mouse might be "hidden" in the HID or Human Interface Device Section of Device Manager)

There are workarounds. Please tell me if you have any third-party screensavers active.

9. 2006/11/20
    bobengel

Well, not quite correct. I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 1.0A ans wireless mouse combination and I had to remove the USB connection for both the keyboard and mouse in order to fix this problem. Just disabling the mouse doesn't do it. Now my dilemma is that I really want to use this keyboard because if it's curved design. It seems strange that Microsoft would design a product that interferes with one of XP's functions. I will peruse the MS Knowledge base to see if there are any patches and, if not, send MS a bug report. I don't have any screensavers in use.

10. 2006/11/20
    Bo Dale James

Bo Dale James Inactive

Amazing! I too have the MS wireless comfort keyboard 1.0A.
    I didn't like the wireless mouse..too slow. I use a logitech trackman.
    I often wondered if the infrared signal for the keyboard could come into play.
    I am currently troubleshooting issues where Call of Duty freezes up during multiplayer.
    So, all my start up has been disabled and viola my screensaver popped up while I was reading some printed email from Activision....weird...our systems are very much alike..COD uses keyboard for movement and other commands.
    I wonder..hmmm. I too like this keyboard because you can move it around and it has nice hot key fuctions.
    I have 2 or 3 fairly new keyboards just kicking around I may have to switch back....awwww

Last edited: 2006/11/20
  11. 2006/11/21
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

A suggestion. (I warned you we would beat this someday).

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc (This bring up Device Manager)
    Expand the USB controller section at the bottom of the list.
    Right click on each USB controller (not Hub entry)
    Under Advanced, uncheck the little box at the bottom to report on any USB errors.

Close. Reboot and test.

12. 2006/11/21
    bobengel

No need to look any further. Microsoft responded to my inquiry and gave me a list of startup programs that can interfere with the Power Settings when using the MS Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. Sure enough, I had one of these running and when I disabled it, the monitor shut off in 1 minute as I had it set. Here are the programs they said can interfere:

1. Ehtray.exe.
    2. DVDLauncher.exe
    3. Power DVD
    4. PCM service.
    5. Dell Media software.

I had a startup program file named PDVDserver.exe which, when I disabled it, fixed the problem. This program is identified as "PowerDVD RC Service by Cyberlink Corp" which I can certainly do without anyway.

The last item, Dell Media software is certainly a widely distributed program (I don't have it) so many people may experience the Power Settings problem if they are also using the wireless keyboard and mouse. It seems that MS should develop a patch to prevent other programs from interfering which I suggested to the technician who answered my inquiry.

Bill, I appreciate all of your assistance as you helped me pin down the origination of the problem when you mentioned the wireless keyboard and mouse as a possibility. I would not have expected that there were known issues with other programs interfering in this manner. It's not mentioned in the MS Knowledge base which I carefully searched.

13. 2006/11/21
    Bo Dale James

Bo Dale James Inactive

Yep!!

Same file for me also pdvdserver.exe in startup.
    My screensaver works and my monitor had just powered down,
    as I took a quick break from the tedium known as christmas lights.
    Thanks again to both of you!

14. 2006/11/21
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

What great news.

Thanks to bobengel and Bo Dale for being a persistent and thorough detectives on this issue.

I am sure this will help many.

My best Thanksgiving wishes to you both.

Bill Castner

15. 2006/11/27
    olamoree

olamoree Inactive

Kudos for Bill Castner!

I am extremely grateful to see that we have Mr. Bill Castner responding to our problems.... his knowledge, thoroughness, logic and persistence is remarkable, even fantastic! His is the kind of mind that we should all aspire to and try to develop.... thank you! We gather at your feet awaiting your next attack on a problem that may have even stumped M$! Keep it up! I am now a regular reader of WBBS because of his presence.

Ali

16. 2006/11/27
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

That is very kind of you to say.

Best wishes for the Holidays.