1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

WMI has issues outside of safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SpiderLocMTGO, 2008/02/07.

1. 2008/02/23
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Ok while awaiting your results from my last post I was thinking (yeah I even smelled the smoke).

We must fix the SATA drivers. But if that don't fix WMI then......

If it comes to your considering a clean install, before we do that I will advise that we do a backup and Set a restore point and install the XP SP3 Release candidte 2.

This is a last resort tho! Before a new install!

Mike

2. 2008/02/23
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Also you did not answer the below

Mike

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/02/23
    SpiderLocMTGO

SpiderLocMTGO Inactive Thread Starter

The disk is not in disk management, but now the SATA controller is in the device manager, but that may just be because I tried to install that driver from the auto-detector.

5. 2008/02/23
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

I just now saw your post, I was posting at same time.

Forget the Repair install for the SATA. Thinking again, that would only be required if we were booting from the SATA. We should be able to install the SATA drivers from windows since it is not the boot drive.

Yes try the ones it auto detected. Give me what info you can on these drivers name of files etc.

But I would be rounding up your XP CD as there are times when it could be the only way to fix.

I thought you had it, what did you do earlier when I asked you to insert the xp sp2 cd for doing the sfc etc?

Mike

6. 2008/02/23
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

OK do you have any red x's or yellow exclaimation points ! in device mgr or a catagory "Unknown devices ".

If so rt click an select unistall on all of them, then reboot.

Mike

7. 2008/02/23
    SpiderLocMTGO

The SATA controller had a yellow "!" so I uninstalled it. On reboot I now have a "Found New Hardware Wizard: Mass Storage Controller "

In the device manager it is under Other Devices: Mass Storage Controller

8. 2008/02/23
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

OK so check device mgr again did any of the red x and ! come back on reboot?

Now check Drive management for any kind of new partition or drive. Even an unformated etc.

Mike

9. 2008/02/23
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Oops! I just noticed you said under other devices!

Go there rt click an chose reinstall driver, use the sata driver that were autodetected browse to them and install.

Once installed reboot and see if the Other devices is gone and the controller is now in the proper catagory.

Mike

10. 2008/02/23
    SpiderLocMTGO

I selected to point the wizard to the folder where the downloaded drivers were, they scanned and installed, and on reboot the SATA drive is back to its former self. The WMI is still acting up though, which isn't too surprising since it was acting up before the SATA drive went offline with the first attempt to repair install.

11. 2008/02/23
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

ALLRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do a system restore point now. Name it "Installed SATA drivers "!

Also D/L ERUNT install let it do a Registry backup and add to startup.
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Now I think it is time to try the XP SP3 to fix the WMI. But not untill you get your XP CD as we may need it.

Once you have it in hand get back.

BTW: you have done a good job hanging in there. This is a hard one as evidenced by the fact that no one else has had any imput at all to offer us.

Mike

12. 2008/02/23
    SpiderLocMTGO

I have my XP CD handy, just not my mobo one. So whatever we need to do with the XP CD we can go ahead and do now :)

13. 2008/02/23
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

OK to get SP3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4c-8423-4386-ad98-36b124a720aa&displaylang=en

This is a 336 Meg file.

Before you run it we need to clean the slate to allow it to run without henderance.

So more downloads

enditall Ver 1 http://www.the-old-sea-dog.net/enditall.html
    KillProcess http://orangelampsoftware.com/products.shtml

1st Unload any programs in the System Tray lower rt by the Time that have a close or exit, even the virus scanner

Install enditall and run it end all.

Run Killprocess
    when it loads click the Killlist in the upper rt corner and chose CleanXp.lst
    then click File Execute Killist
    let it kill all that it will ignore what it won't kill

Then repeat with Killlist in upper Rt corner and chose Cleanwin2k.lst

Run ATF-Cleaner

Now run the SP3 update.

Mike

14. 2008/02/23
    SpiderLocMTGO

Okay, SP3 is installed. The SATA drive is still recognized and WMI is still unreachable.

15. 2008/02/23
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Hi Spider ..... Hi Mike,

Try the following please.

Do a search of the C:\Windows directory (and all subdirectories) for the file CIMWIN32.DLL
    There should be a copy in the ServicePackFiles\i386 folder that closely matches the one found in the system32\wbem folder. If so, please delete the copy in the wbem folder and replace it with a copy from the i386 folder.
    Now register it.
    Start>Run and type regsvr32 CIMWIN32.DLL then hit enter. If you get a successful message, open a command window and execute the following commands.

cd c:\windows\system32\wbem
    mofcomp C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\CIMWIN32.MOF
    mofcomp C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\CIMWIN32.MFL
    mofcomp C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\SECRCW32.MOF
    mofcomp C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\SECRCW32.MFL

Restart the computer and check the status of WMI in the WMI Control Properties and let us know.

If still experiencing problems, open C:\Windows\system32\wbem\logs, click View on the menu then select Details. Now look at the Modified dates on the logs and open any with current date(s). Locate the errors for the current date and post any here, along with the name of the logfile from where it came.

16. 2008/02/24
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Dave Spider

Thanks for stepping in Dave but this process was covered earlier and in detail in post #65 Katy's link which Spider steped thu the entire page.

But now Spidy we have introduced a new variable by installing "SP3 ".

Running the WMI repair procedures under SP3 could be different.

It would be a good idea to do all again this page's procedures. The MOF is covered in the "for next" loop.

If you do rerun the steps from Kathy do like this.

Turn off Firewall

go into services and stop and disable PnkBstrA (you can turn it back on later)

Then use the EnditAll and KillProcess that you used prior to installing SP3. Including exiting all in system tray, Virus scanner etc.

Then do Kathy's entire page step by step.

Mike

Last edited: 2008/02/24
  17. 2008/02/24
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Mike, I did see the recommendation to step through Katy's page, and I did see where Spider reported to have done so, however, I did not find anything specific to the above being done, and I only recommended doing it because the same MOF files appear to still be referenced now as were from the start. Note that I also recommended replacing the accompanying dll, in case it might be corrupted. Of course, as always, take it or leave it ....... :cool:

18. 2008/02/24
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Dave

This quote from Katy covers both MOF and MFL files.

But Spider should do your procedure first as it is simpler, but if needed then do Kathy again.

Mike

19. 2008/02/24
    SpiderLocMTGO

Yeah I did all the steps from the page listed before, and I just tried replacing the DLL and re-registering, to no avail.

The log in the Logs folder says:

(Sun Feb 24 13:12:32 2008.235421) : GetUserDefaultLCID failed, restorting to system verion

Over and over again several minutes apart each for about fifteen pages. I'm not sure what exactly "restorting" means, though :D

20. 2008/02/24
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

You said you replaced/registered the dll. Did you complete the rest of the instructions in my post above?

What is shown in the WMI Contol Properties dialog?
    What is the name of the log you found those entries in?
    Please highlight and copy several lines from today in the log, then paste it into a reply here.

21. 2008/02/24
    SpiderLocMTGO

Yes, I restarted and checked the properties dialog. The properties dialog is still the same:

Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.

Win32_Processor: WMI: Provider load failure
    Win32_WMISetting: Successful
    Security Information: Successful
    Win32_OperatingSystem: WMI: Provider load failure

I can't open any of the other tabs except in safe mode.

The line I pasted is the only line in the log, except about 3 minutes apart for each timestamp over and over again. It is in "wbemcore.log ".

Right now I am re-doing the security permissions part of that page, just going top to bottom.