1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows XP doesn't Recognize any External Devices

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Evan Omo, 2006/10/02.

1. 2006/10/10
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Highly doubtful as PeteC and the others pointed out. If it happened at the same time as the reinstall, the problem will most probably be in the drivers. The drivers were installed incorrectly.

Have a look at gazzman76's problem:
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=58362
    Very similar, even a similar version of the chipset drivers. Your problem though, could be that OEM drivers are involved, whereas gazzman76 has drivers available from the manufacturer's website.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Check the cost of a USB add-in card, you should be able to transfer it over to your Vista system for additional USB support/connections. (For drivers, see if they offer Windows 64x drivers, they should be compatible with Vista.)

Matt

2. 2006/10/11
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    In my ealier posts I have said that my USB devices didn't work after doing a repair install on my OS. It actually turns out that my USB devices stopped working about 2 days before I did a repair install. The only reason I did the reapair install was because I thought that USB drivers were corrupted and that a repair install would fix the drivers. :(

Also in my ealier posts I described my sound system not working either. When I went to play a Windows Media file such as a song, Windows Media Player says that my soundcard isn't functioning properly. My sound card is an Intel [R] 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller. I googled the Sound card and I came up empty so I was wondering if I could get a link to download the Audio Driver for my sound card. :D I want to get my sound fixed first then I will probably go and by a PCI slot card for my USB devices.

I just want to make sure that it isn't a driver problem before I start opening up my computer and messing with it. :cool:

So if I download and install the correct driver for my Audio device and the Audio works then I know for a fact that it was a problem with the drivers. But if it doesn't work then it probably has something to do with the hardware connections on my computer. ;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

5. 2006/10/12
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Here is the Intel chipset FAQ page:
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/

Most will relate to other versions of Windows, but check if those like "Windows cannot find the file...." relate to the file(s) that cannot be found on your system. (Known Issues and Solutions)

Matt

Last edited: 2006/10/12
  6. 2006/10/12
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

If you are going to go the "software" way first, you may as well try to identify your motherboard. Download and run Everest in my signature. It should tell you the motherboard's make and model under Motherboard -> Motherboard -> Motherboard ID and Name.

Matt

7. 2006/10/12
    Evan Omo

Hello Mattman.
    I already downloaded and installed Everest on my system, thats how I was able to identify my chipset drivers for my motherboard. Everest says that my motherboard is unkown. :p So I opened up my computer to see it their was a lable on the motherboard itself but their wasn't. There isn't any tags, model numbers, or ID's of any kind on it. :( There is no way for me to identify my motherbaord.

For my sound issue, I downloaded and installed the sound driver but I still didn't get any sound from the speakers. :mad: The source of the sound not coming from the speakers is most likely my sound card. I connected my sound system to another computer and it worked like a charm. :)

I also think that my motherbaord may the cause of all these problems. Because my motherboard is embedded into all the ports on my computer, my motherbaord may not be connected properly to the USB or the sound ports or the motherboard is finally wearing out. I also know for a fact that all of my drivers for the USB devices have been installed correctly and my OS is working like a charm. No errors, nothing out of the ordinary (except for no sound and the USB devices don't work). :cool:

If we can't find a solution for this issue, its not the end of the world. ;) Instaed of buying a USB add-in card or just getting a new sound card, I am going to upgrade my entire system in a few months because my hardware is quite old and its very out of date. :)

Last edited: 2006/10/12
  8. 2006/10/13
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

It sounds(?) like the motherboard is OEM. The other possibility I would worry about is that it may have bad capacitors. The capacitors are cylindrical and stand up off the motherboard. Check if they are swollen or leaking.

You may want to check with your neighbour (the person you bought the system from) if there is a a set of drivers that should go with it.

Look on those driver download pages that I linked to. On the right-hand side there is a link... "Identify your chipset ". You will need to look at the BIOS string that appears at startup (or read the model numbers from the northbridge and southbridge chips on the motherboard and identify them (or ID them as OEM) with information using that link).

Evan, I don't mind helping you trying to ID the mobo. People thrust systems at me and ask "Can you fix this?" :) :confused: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :p ...oh yeah, LET'S GO! You seem to have the same thirst as me for "Why won't it work?" Identifying the mobo is probably the first step.

If you can find a BIOS string (the BIOS identification), put it...or parts of it, into a Google search. You should find the motherboard's manufacturer and see if drivers are offered for download by visiting their website. No downloads, the drivers are proprietary. Virtually, it is a "throw away" system because you will need to spend $ to upgrade it (or repair it).

:D Start planning now and build yourself a good Vista system that will last for many years.

Matt

9. 2006/10/13
    Evan Omo

Thanks for your reply mattman. I will definetly check those capacitors on my motherboard to see if any of them are leaking. As far as my BIOS goes its from American Megatrends Version 1.11. My computer manufacturer is Micro Star Incorporated. My motherbaord is most likely an OEM motherboard. I also know for a fact that my motherboard only supports graphics cards that use an ACP x8 slot. Most of the newer graphics cards use a PCI Express x16 slot. :) One last bit of information, my computer model is MS-6534.

I have been having problems with my computer ever since I got it from my neighbor. My neighbor built the computer from scratch and from spare parts that he had. The computer itelf is quite old so I have been planning to upgrade my computer for about 6 months now and I will hopefully try to spend the least amount of money as possible to buy parts for a very good system. ;)

Like I said before I can't wait until Windows Vista comes out in January of 2007. I greatly appreciate all of your help and advice Mattman. :D

Last edited: 2006/10/13
  10. 2006/10/13
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Here is the webpage for that model:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=40
    If it is an original MSI motherboard it should(?) have the model number printed on the board like it shows in the photo (between the CPU and the RAM slots).
    The links on the left will take you to FAQs (see General FAQs)
    If there is an Intel splash screen you need to press the ESC key and try pressing the Pause (/Break) key to pause the screen.
    There is a link to drivers that has a recent version of the Intel INF drivers. I would suggest going to Add/Remove Programs, look for any Intel drivers or utilities and uninstall those first before running the new installer.
    I found that motherboard is made for at least one OEM manufacturer, Medion.
    www.medion.com. They identify the model by a label on the back of the tower.

Anyway, as you get time see if you find out more information. When you find that "BIOS version" put it into a search here:
    http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/

Hope you have some success.

Matt

11. 2006/10/13
    Evan Omo

Hey Mattman guess what? I fixed my problem with the USB devices and my sound system. :D It turns out there was an option in the BIOS to enable USB devices and enable my sound system. Both of those options were under the category intregrated peripherals. Both of those options were disabled and I enabled them, restarted my computer and then everything worked like it was supposed to. I am so happy. :)

I greatly appreciate all of your help and advice on this issue and thank you PeteC for your help as well. You guys are lifesavers and you saved my computer. Thank you so much you guys for helping me fix this problem. :) ;) :D :cool:

12. 2006/10/14
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Good stuff!
    See, you should have listened to Pete and Rockster in the first place :D
    We took the long road, but you got there in the end (I still don't see how they would get disabled :confused: ). Anyway, maybe you have found out some information about your system and the way it works.

Luck with it (and your plans):)
    Matt

Last edited: 2006/10/14
  13. 2006/10/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Great news - persistence pays off and no doubt you are a lot wiser now than you were before :) So glad you found the source of the problem - sometimes the BIOS has a mind of it's own :D

Good luck with the new build - enjoy :)

14. 2006/10/14
    Evan Omo

Thank you so much you guys. I definetly know more about my computer and how it works than I did before. :) I also found it strange that one setting in the BIOS could cause all this trouble on my OS. :rolleyes: :confused: Oh well at least I now know if my computer is acting up you should look in the BIOS for any settings that might be disabled. :)

My computer is much faster and its working better than it ever has been before. Thanks again for your help you guys. I greatly appreciate it. :) ;) :D :cool:

Last edited: 2006/10/14