1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Which one(s) should I choose, Firefox + Thunderbird or Mozilla Suite?

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Christer, 2005/02/03.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/02/07
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Jim,

I have an SLT folder in Firefox. It is because I have been using the same Profile from much, much, earlier versions of the browser. However, even though the Profile Name folder no longer ends in .SLT, technically, the file is still "salted ", as the first eight characters are "salted ", but the extension is the Profile Name, rather than "SLT ". Mea culpa! I have edited the Reply accordingly.

Ramona

2. 2005/02/07
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff Thread Starter

Hello Jim!

I didn't expect the profile to be static, only the two files mentioned by captjlddavis in post #11. I understood it as those two files are outside the profile(s) and should be backed up separately to keep them synchronized with changes in the profile(s).

That's one of the files mentioned by captjlddavis in the context of Firefox, the other one (registry.dat) was in the context of Mozilla. The part of the quote that I colored red is what I mean by "static ".

I've not done the deed yet, a bit short of time at the moment but I'll let You know if I manage to "tweak" FF and TB to mesh with my backup strategy.

Christer

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/07
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Hi Ramona,

I believe we had a discussion about this several months ago in another thread, about the time I moved my profile and simplified the path.

The eight "salted" characters that you refer to in the profile name are randomly generated as part of a default profile creation. If anyone knows what "salted" means, they're keeping it to themselves, as I haven't been able to find a definition. And, there seem to be two schools of thought about why the eight random characters ... one holds that they are there to provide security against hackers, the other that they are to differentiate multiple profiles.

It's quite easy, however, to create unsalted profiles in other than the default location, as we've discussed elsewhere. As it happens, I use a single profile: E:\Userfiles\Mozilla\Firefox, but I could just as easily add additional profiles called (for example) \Mozilla\Firefox\JSS, \Mozilla\Firefox\JSS3rd, or \Mozilla\Firefox\Jim.

Christer ...

Believe me when I say that it's a lot easier to do than it is to explain! :D

5. 2005/02/07
    Ramona

Mozilla FAQ

7.4. What is the @$%#@$%#.slt directory in my profile directory?

This is called salting. Profile data is stored in a randomly named directory to make it difficult for malicious programs to find profile data (see Bug 56002 - Make path to profile dir unpredictable and 97180).
    --

Actually, the random 'salting' of the profile directory is intended to increase privacy and security, not reduce it. It essentially makes the location of profile files unpredictable, reducing the risk that a security flaw could allow an attacker to access user data. See Bug 56002 - Make path to profile dir unpredictable for
    more details.

Alex Bishop
    Administrator, MozillaZine.org
    --

http://gemal.dk/mozilla/profile.html
    What is the [random string].slt all about?
    As an extra security measure Mozilla adds a random string to the path of the profile. This makes it a bit harder for vira/etc to obtain the path of the profile. For more information see Bug 56002 - Make path to profile dir unpredictable.
    --

Netscape, Mozilla, Thunderbird, and Firebird|Firefox Profiles
    All releases prior to Firefox 0.9 and Thunderbird 0.7

The Profile's directory name (xxxxxxxx.slt) is randomly generated as a further security measure; this process is called "salting ". From Profile Managers perspective the location of a Profile has three elements. The PATH on which it resides, its NAME, and its SALT (xxxxxxxx.slt). The corresponding windows pathname is \PATH\NAME\SALT. When you want to create a Profile using Profile Manager, it will use default PATH and NAME. If SALT does not exist, it will create it. When Mozilla is first installed, this behavior can not be modified! (On subsequent installations it will default to previously recorded Profiles.)

Once Mozilla has been installed, the behavior is quite different: you can select PATH and NAME. If SALT does not exist, Profile Manager will create it. However, if SALT does exist, Profile Manager will create a POINTER to it in Registry.dat. Registry.dat can not be moved from its default location; it's the "anchor point" for finding Profiles.

Irwin Greenwald
    Mozilla Champion
    --

6. 2005/02/07

JSS3rd Geek Member

Thanks, Ramona!

What can I say? Lazy is as lazy does! :)

7. 2005/02/07
    Ramona

Christer,

More good infor for you, sort of after the fact though, if you have installed Firefox:

How to Manage Profiles

Backing up your profile

Backing up your profile folder in Firefox is easy. Just follow these steps (which assumes you know how to manage files on your computer):

1. Optional: Empty the browser cache, to reduce the amount of data to backup. Go to Tools > Options... (Edit > Preferences... on Linux/Mac), select Privacy and click the Clear button next to the Cache item in the list.
    2. Shut down Firefox completely (File > Exit).
    3. Make a copy of your profile folder to, for example, a CD-RW disc or a separate hard disk for backup purposes.

Move an existing profile or restore a backed up profile

It's possible to move the location of a profile folder. This could be useful if you have a backed up profile folder somewhere on your hard drive and want to tell Firefox to use that as your profile. This section explains how to do this.

1. Shut down Firefox completely (File > Exit).
    2. Move the profile folder to the desired location. For example, on Windows, move the profile from C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default to D:\Stuff\MyProfile. If you are reading these instructions because you want to restore a previously backed up profile, this step isn't necessary. Just note the current location of the profile you want to restore.
    3. Open up profiles.ini in a text editor. The file is located in the application data folder for Firefox:
    * On Windows XP/2000, the path is %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\
    * On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
    * On Linux, the path is ~/.mozilla/firefox/
    * On Mac OS X, the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/
    4. In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just moved. Change the Path= line to the new location.
    5. Change IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0.
    6. Save profiles.ini and restart Firefox.

© 2002-2005 David Tenser.
    --

Ramona

8. 2005/02/08
    Christer

Thanks, Ramona!

I've not done the deed yet and it will probably be another week or so before I'll get the time to do it. I don't want to just install it and let it hang there ...... :p ...... better to wait until I can mess it up properly!

I use Replicator to backup my user data and that would apply to the moved profile as well.

As I understand the directions to move the profile, it can be done with a single profile. There hasn't got to be a default profile in the default location.

Christer

9. 2005/02/10
    Christer

At the moment, I have a computer that I'm supposed to fix for our flying club but for now, I will use it as a test rig. It doesn't have a NIC yet but will have in a week or so.

I installed Firefox and Thunderbird to test my "theories" and my days of learning by destroying aren't over.

As Westside said:

Well, I did make a mess of it trying to move the default folders. Maybe I did it too quickly and messed up by renaming. I didn't understand the significance of ...\xxxxxxxx.default until I created an additional profile which ended up in ...\xxxxxxxx.MyName.

Anyway, I put my Ghost Boot Disks in use, got back to square one and reinstalled FF and TB. This time, I didn't start any of them but went to Windows Explorer to see what was there.

I found an empty folder in C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Application Data\Mozilla and drew the conclusion that the default profiles are created the first time the programs are run (or if the profile folders should go missing, a default gets created).

I ran <firefox.exe -profilemanager> from <RUN> and as expected, there was no default profile. I created the profile "MyName" and told FF to use D:\Mozilla\Firefox. When finished, there was no <Start Firefox> button so I had to close the window by the red-X and rerun <firefox.exe -profilemanager>. Now the <Start Firefox> button appeared and after having highlighted <MyName> and checked <Don't ask>, I started FF.

After shutting down again, in Windows Explorer, the following had happened;

- in C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Application Data\Mozilla one file had been created, registry.dat,

- a subfolder had been created in C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox containing two files, pluginreg.dat and profiles.ini,

- no profiles folder anywhere on C: but in D:\Mozilla\Firefox all the subfolders and files pertaining to the MyName profile were to be found (nothing for a default profile).

Encouraged by this success ...... :eek: ...... I repeated the procedure for Thunderbird using the destination folder D:\Mozilla\Thunderbird.

After starting/shutting down TB, in Windows Explorer, the following had happened;

- a folder had been created outside the Mozilla folder (a glitch which is annoying to the perfectionist ...... ;) ...... see more below) in C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Application Data\Thunderbird containing two files, profiles.ini and registry.dat,

- no profiles folder anywhere on C: but in D:\Mozilla\Thunderbird all the subfolders and files pertaining to the MyName profile were to be found (nothing for a default profile),

- I chose to use "global folders" and not "specific folders" for my account which led to two subfolders in the Mail folder, "Local folders" and "pop.bredband.net" containing mail folders. I don't know how it would have been if I had chosen "specific folders ".

It seems like there may be five files on C: to keep synchronized with the folders on D:. The two "profile.ini" files are changed only when a profile is added or removed and the other three are not pertaining to the folders on D:. My conclusion is that it may not be necessary to backup those files unless changes to profiles are made.
    The glitch I mentioned above means that I have to create two jobs in Replicator to cover those files instead of one job if they all had been in a subfolder in the Mozilla folder.

I have not yet been on-line with this installation and the "final test" will have to wait until after the weekend when a working NIC has been installed.

Christer

Last edited: 2005/02/10
  10. 2005/02/10

JSS3rd Geek Member

Hi Christer ...

Learning by doing ... I'm proud of you, as most users seem to be afraid to experiment with alternate profile locations.

Like you, I was also bugged by the fact that C:\...\Application Data\Mozilla\ doesn't contain the folder for Thunderbird, as well as for Firefox. It's just not neat!
    I don't know why the two registry.dat files are created, as they don't seem to serve any particular purpose. You can move or delete them and there's no apparent harm done. The only ones actually required are the two profiles.ini files and the pluginreg.dat file for FF. In fact, you can delete the latter file, and it will be recreated the next time you open FF.

Here's a little exercise for you, if you're interested ...
    With Tbird closed, delete everything from the C:\...\Application Data\Thunderbird\ folder in Windows Explorer, but keep the Thunderbird folder open near the top of your screen. Now, open Thunderbird. The first thing you'll get is the Import Wizard, but the thing to note is that the profiles.ini and registry.dat files have been created, as well as a Profiles folder, with a xxxxxxxx.default profile folder inside. If you open profiles.ini in Notepad (or whatever text editor you use), you'll see that the path points to the new xxxxxxxx.default profile folder.

Back your way out (Cancel, Cancel, Exit), close the Thunderbird window, and delete all the folders/files in C:\...\Application Data\Thunderbird\.

Open Thunderbird's profile manager (for convenience, I keep shortcut icons to the two profile managers in the Internet section of my Start menu). Note that, as soon as you do, profiles.ini and registry.dat files are created, but no Profiles folder. If you open profiles.ini, no path is present.

Recreate your profile. The only file required is profiles.ini.​
    You can perform the same exercise with Firefox, but that would be like beating a dead horse. :)

The whole point of this is to show you that you don't have to backup anything in C:\...\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox or ...\Application Data\Thunderbird, as long as the actual profile folders are located elsewhere. The profiles.ini files, which serve only to point to your profile folders, can easily be recreated with the profile managers. The profile folders should, of course, be backed up.

Last edited: 2005/02/10
  11. 2005/02/10
    Christer

Hi Jim!

I guess that Your exercise proves that the interesting files are the profile.ini's and that the other three files are of no interest in this respect.

I'm fairly confident that I can get FF and TB installed the way I want, to fit in my backup strategy.

If You've "heard" about my strategy already ...... :eek: ...... then stop reading now but anyway:

During the installation of a system, I create several Ghost Images along the way and the steps are;

- Windows XP > Image #1
    - Office XP and Adobe Acrobat > Image #2
    - Adobe Photoshop > Image #3
    - other "for keeps" programs > Image #4
    - Norton Internet Security and Norton System Works > Image #5
    - keyboard and mouse drivers > Image #6
    - a variety of programs which come in new versions on a regular basis > Image #7

This allows me to roll back to any state and to take it from there. FF and TB will get installed after Image #6 and be included in Image #7.

Having moved all user data off the system partition to D: (the data partition), all I need to do, regarding FF and TB, if I roll back to Image #6 is to reinstall, start/shut down, put the backed up profile.ini-files back where they belong and delete the profile folders in C:\Documents and Settings\...

Judging by the Firefox 2.0 Roadmap, this will happen a few times this year ...... :cool: ...... !

Christer

12. 2005/02/10

JSS3rd Geek Member

Christer ...

You can make it even easier than that. You don't have to install them (I keep zipped archives of TT/Tbird just for that purpose) and you don't have to back up the profiles.ini files.

To show you how simple it is, I just moved the FF folder on my laptop from its usual location at D:\Internet\Firefox (my installed programs are on D:\ and data on E:\) to a temporary location, deleted the Mozilla folder and its Firefox subfolder, from C:\...Application Data\, and deleted all references to Firefox from the registry.

Then, and this is why it's so easy, I simply moved the Firefox folder back to D:\Internet\ (same as unzipping to that location). Before opening Firefox, I ran its profile manager, re-establishing my normal profile. Voilà! I'm back in business.

Even without installation, the registry entries are restored, three or four by running the profile manager, the rest simply by opening FF and designating it as the default browser. Thunderbird would be handled exactly the same way.

In short, all you need to backup are your profiles and zipped FF/Tbird programs.

13. 2005/02/10
    Christer

I actually wondered why there is no zipped alternative to the installer for Firefox and Thunderbird? The alternative is there for Mozilla Suite, available at mozilla.org!

I have had a look in the registry and the entries for mozilla stuff are not numerous, a few installation and program location paths, a few other entries plus the default browser/mail client setting.

Christer

14. 2005/02/10

JSS3rd Geek Member

There are ... you just have to know where to look for them. :)Understand that these aren't official releases, but what are known as "nightlies ".

Remember, too, that if you have an installation you're happy with, you can just zip the program folder and keep it as your backup.

15. 2005/02/10
    Ramona

Christer,

Zip files for Thunderbird, and Firefox, which are official Releases, are available here:

Thunderbird 1.0
    Firefox 1.0

Ramona

16. 2005/02/10
    Christer

Thanks for that!

That won't be necessary ...... :cool: ...... should I want to reinstall the current version, after restoring Image #6, I can extract that folder separately from Image #7 and put it in the right place.

In post #30, I talked about reinstalling and the only reason to do that is if a new version is released. I was unclear and that may have caused confusion.

As I understand it, new versions of FF and TB aren't updates but full downloads. What I'm trying to figure out is how to make such a transition as smooth as possible.

Christer

17. 2005/02/10
    Christer

Thanks to You too, Ramona!

Christer

18. 2005/02/10
    Ramona

You understand correctly, no updates, and full versions.

It's a no sweat deal, Christer.
    Uninstall Firefox, using Add/Remove, if you select the .exe file
    OR
    Delete the entire C:\Program Files\firefox folder, if you used the ZipFile.

Uninstalling has no effect whatsoever on the Profile.

Ramona

19. 2005/02/10

JSS3rd Geek Member

Ramona ...

You beat me to it. :)

Christer ...

Use zipped versions, if possible. Rename the Firefox folder to something like XFirefox, unzip to the parent folder, and proceed as usual. When you're satisfied that the new version is to your liking, delete the old, renamed folder.

If you're using an installer version, use Add/Remove, as Ramona suggested, then install the new version. Actually, you can use the same method I mentioned in the previous paragraph (rename, then install), and FF should work just fine. The downside is that you're likely to end up with several versions listed in Add/Remove. Been there, done that! :D

Your profile is never affected by an Add/Remove or a new installation.

20. 2005/02/10
    Christer

I noticed that when I uninstalled Thunderbird through Add/Remove. A popup said that all directories couldn't be removed and I was asked if I wanted to continue. My answer was YES and when I went to check in Windows Explorer, the profiles were still there.

It seems like someone has been thinking and by moving the profiles to a different location, I'm actually messing that up. I'll have to live with that because my main priority is to make it work with Ghost. Getting the system back on its feet in a few minutes is essential to me, no matter if it is my fat fingers that are responsible or an outside unforseen event.

Christer

21. 2005/02/14
    Christer

I'm running FF right now on the "experimental computer ".

I imported my Favorites from Internet Explorer. They get sorted alphabetically but FF doesn't arrange folders at the top and links at the bottom, they get mixed which I find annoying. Anyway to fix this?

The webpage below (sorry, in swedish) doesn't display correctly in FF. The framed news section doesn't get the correct size which overlays the text below. Do You get the same thing or is it a matter of configuration?

Landskrona Flygklubb

Thanks,
    Christer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.