1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista What are your plans for Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Arie, 2007/01/26.

?

What are your plans for Windows Vista?

Poll closed 2007/03/27.
  1. I plan to upgrade my current PC/OS as soon as possible to Vista (0-6 months)

12 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. I will probably upgrade my current PC/OS to Vista within the next year

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. I will wait till Service Pack 1 is released, then I’ll probably upgrade

16 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. I won’t upgrade

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. I will do a clean install on my current hardware

16 vote(s)
    13.8%
  6. I will get a new PC with Vista installed (next 6 months)

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  7. I will get a new PC with Vista installed ( > 6 months)

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  8. When Service Pack 1 is released, I will get a new PC with Vista installed

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  9. I’m not planning on a new PC within the next 2 years

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  10. I’ll continue running Windows XP for as long as possible

59 vote(s)
    50.9%
  11. I’m running another OS; I don’t have any interest in Vista

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 2007/03/06
    jabfarm Lifetime Subscription

jabfarm Inactive

What are your plans for Windows Vista

Hello Charlesvar
    After reading it again they are talking about a dual boot vista xp.
    If you would like to try it they ask you to go to microsoft.com
    And search for dual boot vista xp. You will find several articles about it

2. 2007/03/06
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi jabfarm,

Ok, thanks for the info - not so mysterious after all :)

There are several of us that dual XP/Vista.

PeteC, myself, and Zander that I know of.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/03/07
    writersblade

writersblade Inactive

The only reason I'll go to Vista is for Direct X 10 support. But that won't happen until there are more DX10 compatible cards that are available and affordable on the market. Until then, I'll stick with XP and *sigh* live with
    DX9 when Crysis comes out :(

Other than that, the OS is pretty...that's about it. I've toyed around with my friend's copy and that's the only thing I could say to him "it's pretty."

I can be patient.

5. 2007/03/12
    Elvardo Lifetime Subscription

Elvardo Well-Known Member

Can I say an option of "going back to previous OS" should be added to poll ?

After endless problems with Vista I'm going back to XP until such time as the service pack has been released or it's made a lot more stable & compatible.

But that said I will miss Vista, it is so much nicer to use & operate & once it's been sorted it will be one of Microsoft best efforts yet. In mho...:cool:

6. 2007/03/12
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

After not playing with Vista since the beta, I've installed the Business version on my laptop. I upgraded the RAM first to 1270Mb, and bought a new hard drive. The "production" version appears to be a lot more polished than the previous version I tried. After an evening play, I like it.

Best news is that my favourite open source applications are on. What's more most of them installed with me logged on as a standard user, and being prompted for Administrator password as required.

• Ruby onclick installer and Rails with Mongrel installed no problem at all, and I've got a test application up and running.
    • EasyEclipse was the only application that caused a headache. After a bit of head scratching and searching the EasyEclipse forums I found a fix - install the application outside the "Program Files" directory.
    • The open source stalwarts of OpenOffice and Firefox 2 both installed fine and are working fine
    • Even TortoiseSVN seems to be installed correctly. I haven't had a chance to test it fully, but it looks good. Which surprised me as it is an Explorer extension so quite an invasive install.
    • MySQL is installed and running. Haven't linked it up to Rails yet, but that doesn't look as though it will be a problem.
    • Though not Open Source, it was good to find that Free AVG installed without any problems.
    It looks like I might be moving my main works PC to Vista sooner than I thought. The only things I'm missing at the moment is easy control of the right click menu via folder properties (I find having a right click option to open a cmd window essential - looks like I'll be reg hacking soon!), and the good old Explorer folder tree view.

The only thing I've turned off fairly quickly is the sidebar. The gadgets just appear to be eye candy that use up valuable desktop space. Not a patch on the freeware desktop sidebar.

7. 2007/05/15
    moldyfig

moldyfig Inactive

Plans for VISTA

None

8. 2007/05/15
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

I have the Business Version Upgrade from Dell, but for the time being will continue to use Windows XP. I did see
    this article re: Dell selling new PC's with a choice of XP or Vista installed. Evidently users are holding dear to their Windows XP!

9. 2007/05/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

According to an article in Personal Computer World (UK - July edition :eek: ) received today .....
    Might spend a few of my MVP bucks on a couple more copies of XP :)