1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Start up problem.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by troof, 2014/09/28.

1. 2014/10/11
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Wow Ted, that doesn't look right at all. :eek:

Click the Windows 7 Start orb, type in regedit and press [Enter]. In Registry Editor, click the little triangle to the left of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then under that click the little triangle to the left of SYSTEM, then under that click the little triangle to the left of CurrentControlSet, then under that click the little triangle to the left of Control, then under that click Session Manager. Over on the right, you should see:

Code:
    BootExecute    REG_MULTI_SZ    autocheck autochk *

See the attached image below for what it should look like. If yours looks any different, please attach a screenshot.

Click the Start orb, right-click Computer and select Properties, then down near the bottom left click Windows Update, then near the top left click Check for updates. (Tip: Pressing [Winkey]+[Pause/Break] will also bring up Computer Properties ... but not all computer keyboards have a [Pause/Break] key).

Let us know what you find ...

. . .

Attached Files:

2. 2014/10/13
    troof

troof Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello again. I was away for the weekend so now I am finally able to get back to you.

Here is the screen shot you requested. My second line is very strange looking compared to yours.

I left the left column off so the second line would fit in its entirety

Hope this helps.

Thanks again,
    Ted

Attached Files:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/10/13
    SpywareDr

And what do you wanna bet therein lies the problem. ;)

Go back into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, right-click BootExecute and select Modify, replace everything that's in there with exactly:
    autocheck autochk *
    exit regedit and then reboot your computer.

5. 2014/10/13
    troof

Hi Doc.
    You may be on to something. I replaced the second line with autocheck autochk * as you instructed and restarted. It did start up normally but like I said if you restart after the machine has been up and running for a while it will start up like it should.

I have to leave for a couple of hours so I will shut down and see what happens on start up when I get back.

The real test will be tomorrow morning. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Any idea how the line you had me change became such a mess. At first,I thought some of the unreadable images were Chinese characters.

Thanks for sticking it out. Hope this takes care of it.
    Will let you know tomorrow if all is well.

Thank you,
    Ted

6. 2014/10/13
    SpywareDr

Second line? There should only be a single line, like so:

[​IMG]

AFAIK, there really is no way to tell how it got changed. Looks like some kind of corruption.

7. 2014/10/14
    troof

Bad news Dr. I did my normal start up this morning and it is still behaving the same way. No change at all.

I then went back to the regedit tree and checked to see if the line with autocheck autochk * had changed back to the mess it was originally. That was o.k. and still as it should be.

I am sorry about the confusion about the line statement. I was referring to the lines that open when you click Session Manager. It is the line with autocheck autochk * the second line.

I thought this was going to be the fix for my problem It was really a blow when I started up my PC this morning and nothing had changed. Anyhow it is still unresolved at this point.

Onward and upward I guess.

Thank you,
    Ted

8. 2014/10/14
    SpywareDr

Okay, try it one more time. Click the Start orb, type cmd, right-click the "cmd.exe" at the top of the list and select "Run as administrator ". At the cmd prompt, type chkdsk /r c: and press [Enter]. At the "Would you like to schedule this volume ... ", type y and press [Enter]. Now restart Windows and allow chkdsk to run all the way through to completion. It will check for and attempt to fix any errors it finds. If everythings is okay, Windows should start normally from this point forward.

If not, you can set Windows to ignore the problem. The default value of the BootExecute key is "autocheck autochk * ". The * means every drive is checked for consistency. If you insert "/k:C" (sans the quotes) before the "* ", the "/k" switch will disable autocheck for drive C: at Windows startup. So the final value should look like this:

autocheck autochk /k:C *

9. 2014/10/14
    troof

O.K. Dr. I did as you said and it ran all the way through and did restart as normal. I remember doing this before with the same results though. When I restart tomorrow morning and it is still not working correctly should I proceed to the second part of your fix and "disable autocheck for drive C: at Windows startup " or should I make that change now?

Thank you,
    Ted

10. 2014/10/14
    SpywareDr

I'd wait until you are sure it is repeatedly running chkdsk at every boot.

Note: The fact that chkdsk keeps trying to run could mean that Windows is repeatedly discovering some kind of corruption that needs to be fixed. You may want to run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility program to see if there is a problem with the hard drive.

11. 2014/10/14
    troof

Hello Dr. I wonder why it seems to only run the chkdsk after the computer has been shut down for a long period of time (over night)? If I were to shut down now and restart, it would start up normally. Corruption is corruption isn't it?

I believe the HD is a Samsung HD. How much info do I need on this HD and where do you suppose I can locate the diagnostic utility program for this particular HD?

Once again I will wait until tomorrow to see if still wants to chkdsk at startup.

Thank you,
    Ted

12. 2014/10/14
    SpywareDr

Yes, it is. And no, I still don't understand why ... yet. :( :)

Samsung > Verifying The Hard Disk Drive Is Working Normally ?

Got my fingers crossed for you. Let us know ...

13. 2014/10/15
    troof

HI Doc.

Sorry to say there is no change to the start up problem.

I will try what you suggested in part two of your reply. autocheck autochk /k:C *

Again, thank you for trying to fix this with me.

Ted

14. 2014/10/15
    SpywareDr

15. 2014/10/15
    troof

Hi Doc,
    I made the change - autocheck autochk /k:C * . I had to go to town for a couple of hours so I shut down my PC and when I returned (2 hrs) I started it up and once again it wanted to do a disk check.

I can't think of anything I can try other then just living with this annoyance.

Thanks,
    Ted

16. 2014/10/15
    SpywareDr

Wow, what a PITA eh? What was the results from running the HD Diags? If it passed, you might try Fred Langa's "Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall." It's a fast, nondestructive, in-place, total reinstall of Windows 7 that won't damage your user accounts, data, installed programs, or system drivers.

17. 2014/10/15
    troof

It is actually a RPITA. I did not do a HD diag. yet. Is there any way to get the Mod # of the HD without a screw driver? Hoping it could be found by clicking on a magic key and it
    pops up.

Not to sure about Fred Langa's reinstall application.
    After some reading of these types of programs I thought maybe I should put my shovel down and stop digging.

One person wrote Unfortunately these procedures outlined to try to replace the Windows System Files without touching everything else never work 100% of the time. Depending on installed apps there are times the installed apps will break with this method and you have to reinstall the apps anyway.

You may have no way to do what you are trying except with a complete reinstallation.

Call me gun shy when it comes to not working 100% of the time.

It could turn this thread into "War and Peace "

Will let you know if anything good happens regarding this problem.

Thank you,
    Ted

18. 2014/10/15
    SpywareDr

:) Yep.

Click the Start orb, type in msinfo32 and press [Enter], then open Components > Storage > Disks. Model numbers will be listed on the right.

I wouldn't try it either without a backup first. EaseUS Todo Backup Free

No problem. Keep us posted ...

19. 2014/11/14
    troof

Just received an email to mark this thread as solved and explain the solution. No check box for an unsolved problem. So no solved check box.

When I first saw the email from WBBS I was hoping someone had a solution. Alas just a reminder to be courteous and mark the thread as solved. No can do Captain.

20. 2014/11/14
    SpywareDr