1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Service Pack 2: how was your upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Arie, 2004/08/28.

?

Service Pack 2: how was your upgrade?

Poll closed 2004/10/12.
  1. Upgraded without any problems

69 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. Had some minor issues, but got them fixed

23 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Some of my software doesn't work anymore, still running SP2

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Had big problems upgrading/running SP2, and have returned to SP1

16 vote(s)
    13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/09/17
    JDISE

JDISE Inactive

ayo

I downloaded the service pack and comments removed.

William

edit note: even if the remarks had been funny (and IMO they were not), they would still have been out of place in a thread where we are trying to get a serious idea of how SP2 has behaved. Newt

2. 2004/09/18
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

Newt, Thanks.
    I read the "Childish?" JDISE Comments last night. Totally Inappropriate for this Forum

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/09/24
    brendangray

brendangray Inactive

My HDD recently started clicking big time (sure sign of failure?!) so i took this op to order a new 250g HDD and install WinXP Pro from scratch. So got XP on there, and thought the next logical move would be to install SP2? Which I did, left it running, came back to see the PC rebooting. Assumed SP2 installed, but help-about didnt show up any SP's. So rebooted, and hey presto SP2 appeared, firewall, security console and all. At which point I tried to install Office XP. Threw the disc in, but an alert came up that I must use control panel-add/remove programmes to install new progs. Tried this, but it made me browse for the setup file, but wouldnt run it. Tried turning off the wnidows firewall, security etc but no go.

My Iomega external HDD, internal firewire card, sound cards, etc were not auto installed, I wouldve thought at least a couple of these drivers would be included in SP2?

Should I have installed in this order - WinXP, OfficeXP, Office SP's 1 & 2, installed all my other progs, then WinXP SP2?

5. 2004/09/24
    Newt

Newt Inactive

The order you used should have been fine. It is the way I did my last clean install and the way I would recommend.

Please start a new XP topic with details of the problem and lets see if we can get you cured.

6. 2004/10/06
    CaseyMay102001

CaseyMay102001 Inactive

Sp2 installed fine but issues followed

I seem to be seeing a trend of people having issues with network printing, or spooling print jobs and I have people not able to get to web site that have java scripts. The printing problem seems to be fixed if I turn firewall off. But what is cuaseing the spooled jobs if a port is blocked by fire wall than you would not be able to print at all. People can still print randomly but most of them get 5 to 10 spooling jobs before the print ever comes out. On the other hand java. I can't tell if it is a option to open in new window issue on some web sites or if the issue is lowering the security on the internet explorer. But some web sites will have links to addition to there web site these links will flash by and never open if you hold the ctrl key down they open in a new window. This is an issue for all the users who are not computer savay. help......

Good news I had issue with wireless on one laptop after installing sp2 it told me I did not have the service running. I would have spend a few hours trying to figure that out on my own. But java java java haaa :(

7. 2004/10/06
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello CaseyMay,

But some web sites will have links to addition to there web site these links will flash by and never open if you hold the ctrl key down they open in a new window

I think what you're describing are java script redirects.

IE has a popup blocker that blocks java script. Go into the IE tool bar > internet options > privacy tab > bottom panel is the settings for the blocker. Either lower it or disable.

What I would do is to decide which sites to trust and put them into the trusted zone and have IE blocking this sort of redirect for everything else because that redirect blocking could save you from malware.

This is one reason that MS came up with SP2 in general and this IE feature in particular, to protect people from "involentary" web redirects.

But what is cuaseing the spooled jobs if a port is blocked by fire wall than you would not be able to print at all.

If this is XP's FW, bring the firewall up via the Security Center. Go into the the "exceptions" tab. What's listed there? If the spooler is listed, that's where it's being blocked. Place a check mark next to it.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2004/10/06
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.