1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Service Pack 2: how was your upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Arie, 2004/08/28.

?

Service Pack 2: how was your upgrade?

Poll closed 2004/10/12.
  1. Upgraded without any problems

69 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. Had some minor issues, but got them fixed

23 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Some of my software doesn't work anymore, still running SP2

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Had big problems upgrading/running SP2, and have returned to SP1

16 vote(s)
    13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/09/10
    cleatus

cleatus Inactive

XPSP2 several problems

My last post probably didn't due to a very tired pair of eye's :eek: So here's my condensed version. I have a 16 month old VAIO RS-210. I had done a clean & complete recovery in antisapation of SP2's release. I installed XP Pro, SP1 (from disk), NAV, NIS, all from disks. Installed my DSL (Earthilnk) did all os the Symantec updates until it burped and said "I'm Full Thanks, Come Back Soon" :D Then I went to Sony's website, installed thier little patches for XPSP2 that had to be installed before the service pack. I installed SP2 like I first did SP1. If it screws up, I can remove it. I downloaded this 272 MB Monster and installed it. Now this is what my computer does... I want to open a folder in my D drive, I chose a folder, right click and I get a Data Exacution Prevention Error. It want to send the usual error message and another "file" along with it which take a couple of minutes even with DSL. After that is done a second error comes up because Dr. Watson's "Post-Mortum" crashed too. Send another error to MS. Then if I'm lucky, I can Ctrl-Alt-Del to get my task manager to open. I go to the Applications tab and end the task of what ever is not responding. HOWEVER... Most o the time I don't have that luxury and I must push and hold the power button on the front case until it shuts down. Because the desktop locks up I have no other choice. So I go to the Add & Remove Programs to uninstall the SP2. I click remove and to my surprise. I get this window that reads, "Access Denied ".
    Then the second window telling me that the service pack was not uninstalled.
    I have two friends in which one has an identical setup as my computer. He had no problems. After all my years of good luck on computers, maybe it's my turn. I do know however, that before this is over I'm going to have several more gray hairs! :confused: I guess that I'll have to do another recovery to get the SP 2 off and re-think this over.

2. 2004/09/10
    sjstover

sjstover Inactive

SP2 OK, only minor annoyances

The installation on my homebrew system (Gigabyte GA-7VRXP w/ AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB OCZ PC2700, 40GB Maxtor + 30GB WD HDD, LiteOn 52327S Burner, Artec 50X Reader, Radeon 7500) went without a hitch.

After rebooting I had to tell Security Center to ignore my NAV 2003 because it kept complaining that it couldn't determine its status (I haven't looked at Symantec's website yet to see if they offer a fix for this issue).

Also the Volume Control, ATI Control Panel, HotkeycontrolXP, and Motorola SM56 Modem Helper tray icons all disappeared (the apps were still running though). They were all easily restored by changing the setting of the 'Show icon in system tray' or equivalent setting in the respective programs.

I read in one of the threads linked here that there are problems with Umax scanner drivers. I haven't tried my Astra 610S since installing SP2 but I will be checking it soon...

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/09/10
    namvet3

namvet3 Inactive

Problems with SP2

After trying to install SP-2 three times, having received an "access denied" message three times, and then "Uninstalling" it three times, I went from 10.03 Gb on my hard drive to 15.5 Gb. Now how do I go about "erasing" those unusable 5.47 Gb of junk on my HD? :confused:
    I'm sticking with SP-1

5. 2004/09/10
    Panda Lifetime Subscription

Panda Inactive

Easy As Pie

:) What's all the fuss about updating? Mine went without a hitch! Only took me about an hour to download and install. I like the changes, though small and inconspicuos. I am still using Kerio WITH my WF. I have read the articles and am comfortable with using both. The AV recognized my Norton with no problem. I like the POP-UP stopper. All in all, it went well.

:)

6. 2004/09/10
    jmar

jmar Inactive

Problem with SP2

After install of SP2 lost windows media player and the ability to use scanner and download pictures from my fuji finepix program-- also lost ability to use system restore -- removed SP2 and all is right with the world . Will attempt again after I receive the disc from microsoft

7. 2004/09/12
    bherenow

bherenow Inactive

SP2--Killed my VCom firewall--jealousy, perhaps?

SP2 disabled my Systemsuite 5.0 firewall. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and it's back on now. I know I could just use the MS firewall....why can't I just trust them.....?

8. 2004/09/14
    Donniesito

Donniesito Inactive

Absolutely no problems installing or running programs with SP2 - My ONLY issue is SP2 seems to have set everything on the computer to "paranoid" setting ;-)

9. 2004/09/15
    alboy

alboy Well-Known Member

Nothing but problems

Took the plunge today and installed SP2 what a disaster!!!
    On the first attempt it installed and when i logged into windows the computer rebooted after about 20 secs and kept doing this time after time so i used a Ghost image i had taken to restore the system to normal.
    On completion of the second attempt to install when i logged in a symantec box poped up ( I have installed Systemworks 2004 pro ) and had a message about sharing services but before i could react the system rebooted again and i tried several times but with the same result so i wont be installing SP2 for now.
    One problem that i did have with the restored Ghost image was that the pnp poped up saying it had found new hardware and then installed the drivers whatever they might be and then said it required a reboot which i did and everything seems to be working fine.

Last edited: 2004/09/15
  10. 2004/09/15
    mickzer

mickzer Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I also took the plunge and installed SP2. I waited for the CD to arrive from Microsoft( I only have dial-up)Anyway, I installed it yesterday and Surprise,surprise.............NO PROBLEMS...
    I then ran Spybot S%D to find Alexa which I had heard SP2 puts back but it didn't find it. It did, however, find, "SearchForIt" which worried me for a minute but a little searching found this:
    http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=21896&st=15
    It seems it is a false positive.
    So, to recap.......NO PROBLEMS.

mickzer. :)

11. 2004/09/15
    dobhar Lifetime Subscription

dobhar Inactive

Just received our WinXP with SP2 (Corporate Edition) CD at work and test installed on a test box (Dell 2.4 GHz Celeron 256 MB RAM). Install went flawlessly. No errors at all.

So far at work we have installed SP2 (upgrading from SP1) on approx 7 workstations and Laptops. We have had no major issues other than a couple minor glitches on the Laptops. Gee only 500 more to go hehehehe... :eek:

12. 2004/09/16
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

Is this SP2 or a user problem ?

I would not put all the blame on SP2 here. Some of the problem may well be USER created.

Symantec and other such items should be ( I read it as not being ) SHUTDOWN before the install of SP2. I believe especially if you do not have the newer patch for SP2.

Norton and other products like it can/may prevent anything such as SP2 from installing properly.

In fact Any and ALL programs that may be running in the background should be shut down and prevented from restarting on a reboot. And I believe this should include any Firewalls.

The SP2 may look like a forgien object to a firewall. And also prevented from reloading on a reboot.

BillyBob

13. 2004/09/16
    beamuse

beamuse Inactive

Problem With Links

SP2 downloaded and installed without a hitch. After spending some time disabling the firewall, automatic update and changing security settings - all seem great. Now, here is the strange problem, the links in email I recieve, will open IE, but the page is totally blank. The same thing happens when I click a link in Media Player (say to get more effects) - also when I send a internet shortcut to desktop, same thing....blank page. The links are active, I can rigth click and then copy the shortcut and paste it into my browser. What the heck????? I have browsed google to see if others are having similar problems and there are some but no ideas up to this point. I have changed my security settings until I am blue in the face with no joy. Ideas will be most welcome :confused:

Thnx Guys
    Beamuse

14. 2004/09/16
    alboy

alboy Well-Known Member

Finally got sp2 running

:) Finally got sp2 up and running the problem seemed to be with the version of zonealarm i had installed details Here

15. 2004/09/16
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

alboy--If, as your other post mentions, Zone Alarm has announced that your old version of Zone Alarm was incompatible with SP2, then that certainly could have been the problem.
    But another problem area could be that you had two firewalls running. SP2 installs one by default. Neither MS nor Zone Alarm recommend running two firewalls. I think Zone Alarm is the better choice since it monitors outgoing traffic as well as incoming.

Last edited: 2004/09/16
  16. 2004/09/16

BillyBob Inactive

That will do it. Not only ZA but other Firewalls too.

But I do need to ask. Was ZA shutdown before the install of SP2 ?

In the past I have had problems with 98SE updates. But it was NOT a fault of the update. It was due to ( more than one time ) my AV software. Another time it was Kerio Firewall.

I will not comment about any IE or E-Mail problems because I do not use OE

alboy I see by your other post that the ZA problem was a version problem.

That is one thing I did BEFORE even thinking about installing SP2. I had my AVG AV software up to date and COMPLETELY unistalled my Keiro Firewall.

#1 because it had not been used and I knew that it was WAY OUT of date.
    #2 Because I figured on using the newer MS Firewall.
    #3 I made sure Media player was up to date.
    #4 and maybe should be #1 I MADE sure NOTHING was loading at bootup ( including AV software ) Anything that is running may/will not get overwritten/updated properly.
    #5 Once SP2 was installed and seemed to be OK I started allowing things to reload at boot up ONE AT A TIME. AV software being the first of course

I was missing a few things in the Quick Launch Bar and the Systray for a while but I knew why they were not there.

Again. I had to ( did ) do the same with 98SE on a Major IE upgrade.

BillyBob

17. 2004/09/16

BillyBob Inactive

I just read the post by Welshjim

And I agree with his thinking.

That is why i completely un-installed Kerio, And made darn sure there was not other FW installed.

BB

18. 2004/09/16
    alboy

alboy Well-Known Member

could be that you had two firewalls running

The first thing i did was disabled Sp2s firewall.
    I disabled zonealarm before the install and the system crashed on reboot as i suspect ZA tried to run.
    I also tried the install after uninstalling ZA, sp2 did then load i reinstalled ZA and the system crashed as soon as it tried to run.
    I updated to the latest ver of ZA and re-installed Sp2 everything now seems fine.
    I am not sure but i think the fact that i use an Athlon 64 processor may have caused some sort of conflict due to the enabling of the Data Execution Prevention feature that is supported and enabled by default in SP2 but is not supported by the ver of ZA that i had installed.
    It is always easy after the event to see the solution was obvious and staring me in the face, but sometimes you are just to close to see it.

19. 2004/09/16

BillyBob Inactive

That is a mistake that many users make. ( including yours truely ) Sometimes just disabling it is not enough. We need to go to the proper place and make sure is does not try to reload on a reboot.

I myself use StartupCop for the. And that is where I disabled everything before attempting to install SP2. It fact I reboot the machine TWICE to make sure that nothing I did not want started remained that way.

BillyBob

20. 2004/09/17
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

:D Alls Well with SP 2 Update, on my Dual Boot Win98SE (C Drive), Win XP SP1 (D Drive), Other "Stuff" on (E Drive).

Cleaned House before Installation (Backed up files, Defrag, AV Scan, Temp Files cleaned, Reg Cleaner, Reg Seeker, SpyBot, etc.) Last but not least set a System Restore Point.

After a couple days of running with SP2 and checking everything out to see if all works, did a tyding up after Installing SP2. See http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

So all in all proper preperation seems to be a big help with such a major update.

Thanks to all for all the Information posted on how to do this update. :)

21. 2004/09/17

BillyBob Inactive

irdreed

Good work

I 100% agree.

BillyBob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.