1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PeteC, 2004/08/16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/10/09
    RickyD2

RickyD2 Inactive

McBlazer - why not download SP-2 from Microsoft update site. That's what I did and have had absolutely NO problems.

2. 2004/10/09
    Mcblazer

Mcblazer Inactive

Hi RickyD2; I guess I wasn't too clear in my post... but I got the CD in the mail and I'm just a tad appprehensive about installing it. Clean install and all I don't want to make problems if the update can be problematic. I have not even tried SP2 yet! I'm just in the process of feeling the waters before I jump in. I waited for the CD because I'm in the sticks and have dial-up as the only available internet connection. :eek:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/10/09
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Mcblazer,

Have a look at these references on problem software with SP2:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130

I try to keep my drivers up to date always so I don't think that will be a problem. Plus this is a fairly new install of Windows.

Those are two pluses, I think good prep for SP2.

As for waiting or not, perhaps you might want to wait a little longer, nothing wrong with that. Keep cruising this forum for the types of problems that people are having, not just programs not working - which judging by the posts here, is a small problem, but for XP's SP2 changed behavior, especially with security. A great many problems come from users not knowing how to cope with the changes - "what are these messages" - "how do I shut this off" or "turn this on ", "can't get on the internet" and on.

BTW, I updated from the cd, and AFAIK, no difference in result between MS Update or the cd.

Regards - Charles

5. 2004/10/22
    Marie Bronson

Marie Bronson Inactive

send items will not hold in outlook express

Can't get send items to hold in send folder. I have gone to tools options and send tab. The box is check to save send items in send folder any ideas?

6. 2004/10/22
    Snapshooter

Snapshooter Inactive

Sp 2

Have been using SP 2 since the day it bacame available for download.
    Using XP Home with over 200 programs installed and disabled SP2 Firewall not because I had any trouble wit it. The Warnings just slowed things down too much, and Zone Alarm does an admirable job, along with a small variety of other security programs.
    I thought I had a problem when ROXIO 7 was acting up, but it wasn't SP2.
    ROXIO had issued a 52MB update for it's own problems and that took care of
    mine.
    Snapshooter.

7. 2004/10/22
    Mcblazer

Mcblazer Inactive

Marie; Are you trying to make it so all your outgoing e-mail is sent at once from the outbox? The first option on the send tad is to save a copy of the messages you send in a seperate SENT ITEMS folder. If you deselect the second option your e-mail will wait in the outbox until you clik on Send and Receive or close Outlook Express, at which time it will tell you that you have unsent items, do you wish to send them. I hope this helps ... :eek:

8. 2004/10/22
    Snapshooter

Snapshooter Inactive

Sp2

Hi there McBlazer,
    I'm in the sticks too and it was a 23 hour download. A week later my MS disc was delivered by UPS. Gotta give MS a thumbs up for that. They even suggested I let all my friends use it, which I have done.
    Mine is a new system as well, with Dual everything, and HT Tech. All this speed and DIAL-UP........... *****, but supposedly DSL by Christmas.
    Regards.
    Snapshooter.

9. 2004/10/22
    Marie Bronson

Marie Bronson Inactive

Mcblazer; No I do not want to send them all at once. I want to write an email send it and then there is a copy in the send folder until I choose to delete it. That is they way it always was until now. In outlook I have gone to options and know what needs to be checked and it is checked it just does not save them in the send folder even though that option is checked.

10. 2004/10/22
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Marie
    Try deleting your sent items.dbx file (while OE is closed). OE will make a new one the next time you start it. It's a possibility the old one is corrupted.

11. 2004/10/24
    Marie Bronson

Marie Bronson Inactive

Zander,
    Please give me instructions on how to delete and find, I would love to give it a try. I can right click sent items and click properties and find the messages. They just do not hold on the top of folders.

12. 2004/10/25
    Zander

To find where the dbx files are located, in OE click tools>options>maintenance and then click on the store folder button. This will show you their location. You, can then use windows explorer to delete the sent items.dbx file. If you aren't familiar with windows explorer, post back and let us know the path that you see when you click on the store folder button and we can help you from there.

13. 2004/10/25
    Marie Bronson

Marie Bronson Inactive

C:\Documents and Settings\MARIE BRONSON\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{3203D4E4-3933-4654-8ACC-63655A457D5D}\Microsoft\Outlook Express is the location I see. HELP from here please!
    Thanks

14. 2004/10/25
    Zander

First, make sure OE is closed. Then, click start>all programs>accessories>windows explorer. In the window that opens click the plus sign next to my computer, then click the plus sign next to documents and settings, then the one next to Marie Bronson, then the one next to local settings, then application data, then identities, then the one next to {3203D4E4-3933-4654-8ACC-63655A457D5D} and then on the one next to Microsoft. Now click on the folder that's name Outlook Express. Now look in the right pane for the sent items.dbx. They will most likely be in alphabetical order. When you find it, right click on it and in the menu that appears select "delete ". The next time you open OE, it will create a new sent items.dbx and hopefully will work as expected.

15. 2004/10/26
    Marie Bronson

Marie Bronson Inactive

Thank you so much Zander,
    Your instructions worked perfect. After deleting the corrupt file OE worked after I sent an email. I lost my brother to cancer he was my computer teacher. He would be proud I wrote to this board and got the problem fixed. Again Many thanks.

16. 2004/10/26
    Zander

Good! Glad to hear it worked for you and thanks for posting back with the results. ;)

17. 2004/11/08
    Purple Haze Lifetime Subscription

Purple Haze Well-Known Member

XP SP2 Problems

Here at the University we are pretty much a Microsoft shop, although we do have some open source developers and Penguin Pals. We don't use many off-the-wall applications. We've either put, or allowed to be upgraded to, SP2 on nearly all our computers in IT and have yet to see any problems develop. Some of our departmental techs are dong some testing against some databases and one-of-a-kind programs, but so far nothing seems to be an issue. At our next group meeting I expect we'll suggest everyone who is on XP go to SP2.

18. 2004/11/20
    Nora

Nora Inactive

Windows Security Alerts misbehaving

I installed SP2, but have no need of its firewall, since I'm already using a firewall (Sygate Personal Firewall). It's not one of the firewalls it recognizes, so I clicked on "I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself ". However, it doesn't remember this setting from one day to the next. Every single day it greets me with a warning that my computer is at risk.

How do I get it to remember this setting? Maybe something I can edit in the registry? Obviously, this is not a critical issue, but it's pretty darned annoying.

Thanks.

Nora

19. 2004/11/20
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello Nora,

Click on the Security Center icon in the tray or bring it up thru the Control Panel.

Click on "change the way Security Center alerts me" in the left pane under Resources. A window will appear, there un-tick the firewall alert.

Regards - Charles

20. 2004/11/20
    Nora

Nora Inactive

That sounds so easy I'm embarrassed I didn't see it sooner. I guess I'll let you know if this setting sticks.

Thanks!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.