1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Partition sizes with XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by miniB, 2004/06/30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/06/30
    miniB

miniB Inactive Thread Starter

I know it would be impossible to advise completely about the size of partitions on a 2 HD set up 1.160GB 2.120 GB

At the moment I know I have too many partitions but when the computer was set up I thought it was the 'correct' thing to do :eek:
    I have read about running discs without any partitions but somehow I would prefer to have my OS partitioned from my data and downloads.

I am going to be getting my computer modded a little in August with a new fan system and also taking my 60GB 2nd drive out and installing a 160GB drive. I will also be installing XP Pro this time round.

Hopefully I will have the 160GB as my first drive with XP Pro and my second drive will be 120GB - would anyone be able to advise on how many partitions I should be thinking about for this setup?

2. 2004/06/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Try a read of this for starters. Apart from a dedicated partition for XP, say 15 Gb if you have a lot of programs loaded and, IMO, a dedicated partition for a fixed size Page File, say 1.5 x installed memory + 500 Mb, the rest is up to you :)

How many partitions? How long is a piece of string? :D Whatever you feel comfortable with and suits your purpose.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/06/30
    miniB

Thanks Pete I will read the info on the link now but you have certainly helped with the Page File as I have a dedicated partition for this as my computer is at the moment but was wondering if I should maintain this. I know one thing it does stop any fragmenting ;)

Edit: a great link and one to spend time reading before August; thank you.

Last edited: 2004/06/30
  5. 2004/07/01
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

A while ago, I set up a system for a friend, with two HDDs, both Seagate 160 GB. My basic idea is to have the OS and applications on a small partition and all user data (including My documents, Favorites, E-mail storage and Address Book) on a different partition.

The boot drive was split in C: - 16 GB and D: - 144 GB
    The backup drive was split in E: - 144 GB and F: - 16 GB

The F: partition is dedicated to Ghost Images and personally, I would prefer it to be larger to contain more Images, E: - 136 GB and F: - 24 GB would have been my choice but my friend didn't want that.

My pagefile is on C: and is set to a minimum size of 1.5XRAM and a maximum size of 3.0XRAM. It has never been fragmented and has never been resized.

I now have 512 MB RAM but when I had only 256 MB RAM the pagefile was half the current size and it got resized on a few occasions but when the computer was restarted, it shrunk back to its minimum size and was again in one unfragmented chunk.

A Windows managed pagefile will fragment, though.

Christer

6. 2004/07/01
    miniB

Hi Christer

I was just back reading the information on the link and note the suggestion to have a small FAT32 partition on 'C' and install the OS to the next drive letter - I do remember that this is suggested on security based forums plus on my install notes with TDS they state that it is best not to install the OS on 'C' - I think this is because of rootkits etc but the little FAT32 is a point of interest to me now as a friend had suggested this to me the last time (I think this was because of the DOS bit in case of a failure :confused: )

I agree with keeping a large amount for backups which I hope to have on my second physical HD - I will use this for Ghost backups and also use my external drive for true Image backups (I am going to make sure and do a clean backup as soon as the system is running!!)

I aim to keep my data separate and also downloads and pictures so will have to judge carefully for this. I was re-assured from the link that partitioning is actually a good thing to do as recently I have read a few posts about allowing the drive to run as it is - I do not think I would like to scramble through a lot of folders!

I have 1GB of RAM which should maintain an 'un-fragmented' section if I allocate it a set amount of drive and will not let windows manage this.

Thanks for your input as I am really hoping to have things worked out now that I know a little bit more of how I actually use my computer. When XP was first installed I wasn't quite sure of the way I would store and run various applications!

7. 2004/07/01
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

miniB,
    I try to keep things as simple as possible. When I first began to do foolish things with computers, I read quite a lot on the web (and came here to ask foolish questions).

I found sites where people recommended partitioning strategies which looked like fragmentation to me ...... :rolleyes: ...... but I think that separating the system from user data makes sense, especially if an imaging software is used for backup. If I was keen on photography and filming, I would probably create separate partitions for photos and films too.

About tricking virii and trojans by NOT installing Windows on C: ...... :eek: ...... well, I think that those bastards are more clever than that!

Christer

8. 2004/07/01
    miniB

At least you are giving me something to laugh about instead of getting myself into all sorts of dilemmas about the 'correct' thing to do. I have been running along here on my present setup with partitions that suited me. I guess a little less reading and more to the practicalities would be the best for someone like me who worries (too much!!)

Thankfully the final install will not be left to me (one worry less) but I have learned quite a few things about the way XP links things on drives even when we think it is clean. Once again someone else will take this worry away and hopefully have my computer ready for me to enjoy and maintain backups.

I do like the fact that if one partition gets corrupted or something at least I have not lost my whole drive exactly plus defragmenting does not take all day and all night :rolleyes:

I will hopefully keep any of the difficult things for my friend and I will keep things simple :cool:

9. 2004/07/01
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

I have to agree with Christer- a false "C" partition isn't going to fool many of the "nasties" on the 'net. A better strategy is up to date firewall and AV protection, and partition(s) for data storage. FWIW, I have never lost my second partition "accidentally ", even when I killed XP on "C ".

The false "C" reminds me of that email that goes around telling people to make 000 the first entry in their address book, on the theory that the virus will not be able to use it because it's not valid, and then quit. That may have been true 5 years ago- (I don't know!) but it sure isn't good advice today!

Johanna

10. 2004/07/01
    miniB

I would most likely confuse myself as to where my copy of XP is :eek:

The link Pete gave is really good for information but I do realise that it would be best for me to have things as simple as possible. I know a lot of security forums and software warn about having XP on C but I have a router firewall plus Sygate Pro plus many other guards and have never let anything in I would not want - maybe sometimes blocked myself from doing things!

I really do think the link provides a lot of information as others have told me partitions are not needed. I think the guy who wrote the article has ended up with too many drives but at least his explanations are good. I also need to allow for the fact he has Linux etc

11. 2004/07/06
    movmasty

movmasty Inactive

i can tell you what i would do,real capacity in giga is around152 and 114,
    8 primary

8 primary

Windows has problems over 20 partitions....
    if you do multimedia, format some of the larger partitions with a cluster size larger than 4k,es. 16k,

i dont like to have a dedicated part for swap cuz could damage the disk due to more activity, move the swap on the 2nd drive 4/5 times every year.
    leave 2-16mb of page on C drive.

about the size of swap is not a good idea to multiply your ram size, because the more the ram you have, the less you need to swap,
    i suggest if you have less of 512m to set the pagefile so that ram+page=500m
    with min=max,

if you have more than 512, a minimum around 100.

Last edited: 2004/07/06
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.