1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

'Page not displayed' in IE11

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by PeteC, 2014/11/19.

1. 2014/11/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

@Evan - coincidentally I had the same idea in bed last night re. Clean Boot :) Security software is Vipre Internet Security 2015 - I've been using that since the days it was Sunbelt without issue. Malwarebytes run weekly - if I remember:)

Update:

Initiated a clean boot as described here for 8.1. That was not plain sailing as the PC would not restart - just sat at the Restarting screen with the dots rotating and I was forced to make a hard shutdown.

On booting up again it was in clean boot mode and pages on the web site in question opened immediately although Windows flagged that IE had stopped working when it clearly had not.

Re-enabled the start up items in 2's and 3's with a cold boot in between. The web site continued to open pages without issue and the IE had stopped working message appeared each time.

With all start up items enabled there was no issue with the web site opening pages, but when reverting back to a normal boot the old problem returned, but the IE stopped working message was gone.

@TonyT

More than likely, but probably not in the network connection as FF displays the site as it should? Windows updates - easy to blame these, but sometimes with good reason. Uninstalled the latest update to IE (KB3003057) - made no difference so re-installed along with the massive optional update KB3000850 - again no difference.

Registry cleaners are not good for our health as we well know, but Jv16 PowerTools does make a restorable backup unlike CCleaner and the Registry is backed up daily using ERUNT on a schedule. Still not keen on that approach.

Unless there are any further suggestions I'll thank you for your input and accept that IE cannot be used for FredMiranda.com.

2. 2014/11/22
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

This now definitely indicates that IE itself is the cause of the problem, meaning that some startup item has a hook into IE. I would disable: Smart Screen, Protected Mode; then I would have a look at Manage Add-ons and disable all loaded add-ons and see if the problem goes away. If all good, then enable them one at a time and test again. I would also get rid of any Accelerators that are not needed: Bing, Bing, Bing...and any others. Then I would isolate the startup item that is interfering with IE.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/11/23
    PeteC

Turning off Protected Mode followed by turning off Smart Filter had no effect.

I had already tried IE in No Add-ons mode without success, but repeated the exercise again this time by disabling the add-ons in Manage Add-ons with no success.

This is like searching for a needle in a haystack and I get the feeling that the cause will continue to elude me and am resigned to using Firefox for that particular web site which I visit daily - no big deal.

Thanks for your continued support Tony, but I think we are at the end of the road here.

5. 2014/11/23
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

As one final thought have you looked through Autoruns to see if there are any suspicious items that you don't recognize?

6. 2014/11/23
    PeteC

I have now - nothing that I do not recognize as legit.

7. 2014/11/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

If is works with disabled startup items but get the IE error message then that means one of those startup items has a hook into IE for some reason. Isolate that startup item, then we can next figure out a solution to preventing that IE error message. How about posting these Autoruns lists:

Internet Explorer
    Logon
    Scheduled Tasks
    Winlogon

8. 2014/11/23
    PeteC

From post #21 ....
    Autoruns lists attached for IE, Logon & Scheduled all at default setting of Hide Windows Entries.

Winlogon has no third party entries - Windows entries in zipfile

Attached Files:

9. 2014/11/24
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

There's just too many startup programs and other things loading that could be causing the problem. The most efficient way to isolate the cause is to do a clean boot again, then renable items one by one until the problem returns.

It's also possible a 3rd party program installed a dll (trusted) and it overwrote and existing Windows dll. That's not supposed to happen anymore, but who knows. Or an IE file is corrupted. A shot-in-the-dark would be going to Programs (add-remove) > Turn Windows features on or off > uncheck Internet Explorer. After the reboot, reverse it. When Windows makes the changes it may reload the IE program files and dlls it needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

10. 2014/11/24
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Pete, Have you got a 'doosey' problem. I used your link OK in IE 11 but I did enjoy your
    Cheeky Neil. :D

11. 2014/11/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

As I recall, the last post I made:

Go to Uninstall or change a program > Turn Windows features on or off > uncheck Internet Explorer. Will prompt to reboot. After reboot, reverse the procedure. Reboot & test IE.

This because it's possible an IE component is corrupted slightly, or IE got "altered" by some 3rd party program.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

12. 2014/11/25
    PeteC

'Removed' IE 11 and rebooted. Reversed the procedure and tried the web site - no issues! BUT decided to double check and closed down IE. On opening IE again the issue with the web site returned,

Repeated the procedure - this time the web site issue was apparent immediately. All very strange.

Thinking back when I made the clean boot before I only opened IE and the web site once so I will repeat the exercise and see what happens when IE is opened twice.

13. 2014/11/25
    PeteC

Made another clean boot - this time around the web site issue appeared immediately. Seemed little point in going through the procedure of re-enabling start up items.

14. 2014/11/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Just for giggles, delete the IE temp internet files and repeat the remove IE procedure.

15. 2014/11/25
    PeteC

No giggles :)

IE is set to empty Temp files on exit. but remembering that it is not that efficient deleted temp files + Index.dat files using CCleaner - issue remains.

Have set Firefox as default browser - this issue appears to have beaten us all. Thanks for all the input.

16. 2014/11/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Understood.
    (I am getting out of breath!)

17. 2014/11/25
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

One last thing before I throw in the towel, have you updated your Nvidia display driver to the latest version?

Having an older display driver can cause an issue with IE so I'd thought I'd double check.

18. 2014/11/26
    PeteC

This box was built only 3 weeks ago and the Nvidia driver for the GT740 was downloaded directly from Nvidia - the CD which came with the card was not used. Driver is dated 29/10/2014.

I will check, but most updates seem to be aimed directly at gamers.