1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

NAV Virus Scan won't complete

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by doubleu, 2002/11/06.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/11/15
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

That being the case, Doubleu, you'll no doubt be interested in the following (which was dated yesterday):

Be sure to run the uninstaller for the current version before installing the new version.

2. 2002/11/15
    doubleu

doubleu Inactive Thread Starter

Be sure to run the uninstaller for the current version before installing the new version.

Thanks Brett....I'd already seen the update but for some reason I couldn't uninstall the old version. Each time I tried, I received the popup asking me if I wanted to install the registry keys. I finally just downloaded the new version on top of the old. And, not knowing who to discuss this with, I emailed E Howes to tell him my problem. Haven't heard his answer yet.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/11/15
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

....I'd already seen the update but for some reason I couldn't uninstall the old version.

A possibility that will corrupt some installs.

Was Anti-virus checking running during the install process ?

Also I had problems installing some software in Win ME with System Files Protection ( I think that is what it WAS called )enabled.

BillyBob

5. 2002/11/15
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

Doubleu - both the installer and the uninstaller present you with the same ( "do you want to merge ... ") message; just click "yes" to both!

6. 2002/11/15
    doubleu

both the installer and the uninstaller present you with the same ( "do you want to merge ... ") message; just click "yes" to both!

Brett......Thanks for pointing this out to me. I've now uninstalled whatever it was I had installed, confirming same by checking my restricted sites, and have downloaded the most current version.

That being said, and admitting that I'm not the sharpest spoon in the drawer, surely the creator of this program could find a less 'geek-speak' way of asking 'do you want to uninstall' than to use the same phrase for both an install and uninstall!!!!!

This is such a great program, and its FREE, and it works...etc, etc. and I feel somewhat reluctant to be dumping on its author but.....

I hope he ignores my email !!!

7. 2002/11/16
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

Actually, he couldn't! Merging a .reg file will always produce the same dialogue and that dialogue is dictated by the OS itself.

I doubt it; he's quite on-the-ball is auld Eric :D

8. 2002/11/16
    doubleu

he's quite on-the-ball is auld Eric

Yes he is....received an email from him last evening saying exactly what Brett has just said. I guess I should have emailed Bill Gates.

Thanks to everyone for your help on this.

9. 2002/11/16
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

Glad it's resolved.

FYI, the list of Restricted Sites is recorded in the registry and whenever you manually add a new site the registry is altered to take account of that new entry. All IE-SPYAD does is to add a long list of PITA sites to the registry in order to save you the job of doing it manually. You can see the list of sites if you open the IE-SPYAD file in Wordpad (click - right-click - "Open With" - Wordpad).

Running the "uninstaller" simply removes the sites added to the list by IE-SPYAD. In fact, you don't even need to run the "uninstaller" - manually deleting the Restricted Sites list from within IE will have exactly the same effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.