1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Monitor of poor quality

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Matthew Wai, 2014/08/26.

1. 2014/08/27
    Matthew Wai

Matthew Wai Well-Known Member Thread Starter

They are Bravo View Technology, but the ones I am talking about are TOPCON Bravo LED. I think the word 'Bravo' is not a registered trade name.

2. 2014/08/27
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/27
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I was not suggesting you were not satisfied. I am saying all monitors and TVs and just about every thing else that "lights up" grows dimmer over time. And I am also saying each new generation of display panels are capable of brighter whites and blacker blacks, with the full spectrum of colors in between. So it is normal for new monitors to appear brighter. Does your monitor have mode such as Cool, Warm, Custom and Normal?

The real issue, however, is the default settings should be not so bright they hurt your eyes, or even make them uncomfortable as they will tire quicker if you spend many hours in front the monitor. So you need to determine if you got a faulty monitor first.

Is there another person there? We can't tell with your images because they are shown through our monitors. But see if they think the defaults are way too bright.

If you do spend a lot a time right in front of your monitor(s) it can take a couple days to really adjust to the "new normal" - almost like getting a new pair of glasses.

5. 2014/08/27
    Matthew Wai

Dear Bill,

Can you do the test mentioned in my post#5 and tell me the results as SpywareDr did in his post#6? What monitor are you using?

6. 2014/08/27
    Bill

Sorry - I missed where you asked that earlier.

Yes, I can easily see with Brightness at 0% and Contrast at 85% and two 22 inch Samsung widescreens, model 2220wm. These are about 5 years old. Just checked a new Visio 24" monitor/TV and I could read everything there too.

So they would not give you your money back? Unless you have reason to distrust the technician, he's probably right as he sits in front of many all day long. If it stood out as abnormally bright, I don't see why he would not say so.

In this digital age, ANY image displayed on ANY monitor anywhere "should ", in theory, look exactly the same as the original image, whether created by nature or Man - except for size.

But we are not there yet. There are many different panel technologies. Maybe IPS is just not for you.

7. 2014/08/28
    Matthew Wai

Last edited: 2014/08/28
  8. 2014/08/28
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Well I have to agree with Bill :D:D in regards to IPS Monitors, I use Dell Monitors, I have a vintage 17" and my everyday Monitor is a Dell U2410 that is 24" IPS Monitor and the Factory settings when I bought it where way to bright for me, I had to do a fair bit of adjusting to suit my needs, but once set no need to adjust again.
    I believe in buying a good Monitor in the first place, if you happen to spend a lot of time in front of it.

Same as buying a good Mattress to sleep on, if you want to have a good sleep.
    hawk22

9. 2014/08/28
    Matthew Wai

But could you respond to my questions in post#26?

10. 2014/08/28
    Bill

What you need to do is visit a store that has many monitors on display.

Taking a picture of screens, then displaying that image on other screens is not the way to go. Too many variables including the camera, and the focus. You need to do side by side comparisons with other monitors.

The good news is we finally have learned the real brand and model or at least partial model number.

It is a Topcon brand monitor, model Bravo LED19N but searching for more info on it is proving difficult. Is this a TV/Monitor? Or just monitor?

Regardless, you need to take it back and get your money back and shop somewhere else.

11. 2014/08/28
    Matthew Wai

It is just a monitor, without TV. There is no money back guarantee. If you showed me photos, I could see for myself whether characters were visible.

12. 2014/08/28
    Matthew Wai

I also want to send the photos to the manufacturer, perhaps they would admit that their products are of poor quality.

13. 2014/08/28
    Bill

Why? Was it used? Or an open box item?

You just bought it in July, this is August, and you have taken it back once already. The retailer should take it back and they can deal with the maker. If the consumer refuses to take it back, then you need to make it known that you will tell everybody you know not to shop there - ever.
    Now you are implying you don't believe us when we say we can see the letters. :( We don't come here as helpers volunteering our spare time only to mislead those we are trying to help. :mad:

Since there is a good chance we might Photoshop our photos just to mess with you, I recommend you find some neighbor or family member and compare photos with them - so you can see for yourself.:rolleyes:

14. 2014/08/28
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Topcon, used to make some years ago SLR Cameras quite good ones too.
    I think now they are in all sorts of technical stuff from medical to obviously Monitors.

15. 2014/08/28
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what you will be using to view the image. If it's a horrendous piece of junk, even a fantastic picture is going to look terrible.

16. 2014/08/28
    Matthew Wai

I am implying your photos can make the manufacturer believe their monitors are of poor quality, compared with yours. See my post#31 above. Do you deem it possible?
    Because they do not believe their monitors are of poor quality.
    I am thinking about it, see my post#9 on page 1.
    I intend to let the manufacturer view the image, which may serve as evidence.

17. 2014/08/28
    Bill

The only way to successfully show a company their products are bad is for consumers to return them and demand their money back, and don't buy that brand again.

They are not going to view your image. And once again, us taking pictures proves nothing so it is just a waste of time and effort.

I am saying this for the last time, then I am out of here. You need to take that monitor back and demand your money be returned or be allowed to exchange it for something else. Then you need to visit a store where there are many monitors so you can do a side by side comparison. Take your pictures there showing multiple monitors displaying the same image in the same photo to see how they compare.

The company is still not going to look at your photos, but at least then you will know if yours is bad, or not.

Good luck.

18. 2014/08/28
    Matthew Wai

I did it last month but they insisted the monitor was fine and thus refused to refund. They only allowed me to exchange it for another monitor of the same model, which had the same problem in question.

19. 2014/08/28
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Matthew, You should consider more thoroughly of what Bill is trying to tell you.
    Photos in a situation like this are of no value at all no retailer will take them for real, in Digital Photography images can be changed at the push of a button, not only that, when taking the photo you can over or under expose therefore the accuracy of the photo can never be guarantied.
    Sure you can take a photo of a damaged item to a retailer showing scratches or breaks or the likes but not lightness or darkness of a monitor screen.
    You say that they will exchange, but they are all the same, then why did you buy it in the first place.
    To tell you the truth I have been using Monitors for many many years the old CTR's and now flat screen, but I have never bothered with percentages in contrast and so-forth,as long as the general screen is appeasing to me with the adjustments that are available is all I care about, and that aspect of things I look at before I buy the Monitor.
    I also look at Warranties Refund, ore exchange for Items before I hand over the money.
    Like Bill has told you, there is nothing anyone can do for you here, taking photos will be of absolutely no value for the reason I explained to you.
    Take your Monitor to the shop and sit outside the door with a placard protesting will get you further.
    hawk22

20. 2014/08/29
    Matthew Wai

Obviously it was a mistake to buy it.
    It is unworkable due to the actual circumstances here. I am thinking about protesting online.
    You have done a test for me, telling me that your monitors could properly display the dark green characters which my monitors can not display.