1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Mailing Lists Not Working In TB 31.1

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by BirdieBob, 2014/09/04.

1. 2014/09/04
    BirdieBob

BirdieBob Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Since upgrading to TB 31.1 several days ago, all of my mailing lists (distribution lists) are not working. When I select the List Name to address the email and then try to send, I receive this error message:
    Invalid Recipient Address

< "(List Name) "> is not a valid e-mail address because it is not of the form user@host. You must correct it before sending the e-mail.
    TB is now obviously trying to read the List Name as an address. I have a lot of lists and they have worked flawlessly in prior versions of TB. It looks like another bug to me but before I report it, I thought I'd check here.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with mailing lists?

2. 2014/09/04
    BirdieBob

I just found on the Mozilla Support Forum that this issue has been reported as a bug in 31.1.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1018405.

Here is the meat of the post with the least disruptive workaround being to replace spaces in list names with underscores until the problem is corrected:

Chosen solution

Correct, this is a regression and has been reported as Bug #1060901. If you have an account on Bugzilla, please consider voting for that issue.

Several other people have sent in the same support request as you, noting this happened after they upgraded to version 31.1.

The exact error message is: XXXX is not a valid e-mail address because it is not of the form user@host. You must correct it before sending the e-mail.

This happens in Thunderbird 31.1.0 when your mailing list description includes several words separated by spaces.

Although not ideal, these workarounds should let you use your mailing lists until a proper fix is implemented:

While composing an email open the address book and select the list you are trying to send to, highlight all the names in the list and drag them to the To: box. This uses your existing data without modifying it.

Replacing the blanks " " between the words in such lists' descriptions with an underscore "_ ". This requires modifying your mailing list(s) description(s).

Downgrade to a previous version and disable automatic updates (Windows)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/09/07
    bobrowen

bobrowen Inactive

Birdiebob,

Can't thank you enough for the Thunderbird workaround with v.31 & group lists....you are a godsend after our spending hours on others' muddled & ineffective answers!

We'll vote on Bugzilla...

Robert Rowen
    Director of Operations and Programs
    The New York Military Affairs Symposium
    On the web at http://nymas.org
    Email to rrowen@nymas.org
    Phone: 718-834-1414
    Cell: 347-513-9578
    Fax: 718-709-8670

NYMAS is devoted to increasing public
    knowledge, awareness, and understanding
    of the interrelationship of war, society, and
    culture through the presentation and
    dissemination of diverse scholarly viewpoints.

5. 2014/09/09
    BirdieBob

Bugzilla reports that this issue is to be resolved in TB 31.1.1 release due out in "days ".

6. 2014/09/10
    BirdieBob

TB 31.1.1 released this morning contained the fix for this bug so I am marking this thread resolved.