1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Long Running Scripts

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by JTee, 2014/11/17.

1. 2015/01/06
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

After following LJ's advice for turning off script debugging see if the script errors are still coming up.

If they are then lets see what is going on with your machine.

1. Please download MiniToolBox and save it to your desktop. Run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator.

2. When the program opens check the following boxes:

Flush DNS
    Reset FF proxy Settings
    Reset IE Proxy Settings
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    List Devices (problems only)

3. Click the Go button and attach the MiniToolBox log in your next reply.

4. After that, please download AdwCleaner and save it to your desktop. Run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator.

5. When the program opens click on the Scan button.

6. Then when the program has finished scanning, click on the Clean button. The program will reboot the computer. Attach the AdwCleaner log in your next reply.

7. Next, download the Junkware Removal Tool and save it to your desktop. Run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator and attach the JRT log in your next reply.

8. Then download the Adware Removal Tool. Right click the program and select Run as administrator. When the program opens click on the Scan and Repair button. After that process completes a new window will open with items that the program found. Make sure all the items are selected and then click on the Remove button. The computer will be rebooted.

9. Once that is done, download HijackThis to your desktop. Run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator and on the Main Menu click the button that says Do a system scan and save a logfile. Attach the HijackThis log in your next reply.

10. Finally, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM): Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure to uncheck Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO. Make sure Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are checked, then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select Perform Threat Scan, then click Scan.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
    • Post the results of the scan in your next reply.

You can attach logs by clicking on the Upload a File button when you are responding to your thread.

2. 2015/01/06
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

That is one reason why I updated my Windows 7 systems to Internet Explorer 10. To make IE10 to run smoothly and be more secure I installed Adblock Plus and use the Easy List & Easy Privacy add-ons. I also installed Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free and followed this guide to Securing Internet Explorer. I also use SpywareBlaster to help keeping bad stuff from interjecting themselves.

Of course the main browsers I use are my old dependable Opera 12.17 customized my way and for real secure browsing I use WhiteHat's Aviator Browser.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/01/06
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Thanks Evan.

5. 2015/01/06
    Evan Omo

Nice post Whiskeyman but JTee's computer can only go up to IE9 since they have Windows Vista installed.

Your link to securing Internet Explorer is definitely a great resource so hopefully it was just a mismatched setting on JTee's machine that was causing the script errors to appear.

@LJ I was tidying up your post so I hope you don't mind.

6. 2015/01/06

Evan not at all I appreciate it and thanks again.

7. 2015/01/06
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

Those tips will work for IE9 on Vista also. They help IE immensely, especially on sites like Facebook that are loaded with ads. The only problem that I have yet to solve with IE is sites with poorly written coding, open tags or unnecessary/misplaced tags.

8. 2015/01/07
    Evan Omo

I agree. I secure IE11 using the same settings from the resource you linked to as well as blocking the ads and I find my browsing experience to be much better.
    We will see what JTee has to report when he replies though.

9. 2015/01/07
    JTee

JTee Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have IE9. Per the conversation between yourself & Evan, I should do this regardless that I do not have IE7 nor IE8?

10. 2015/01/07
    JTee

JTee Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The Disable script debugging & in IE & other are already checked & I do not see anything that says Display a notification about every script error check box.

11. 2015/01/07

Yes it's basically the same instructions. If you look on the right side of the page where it reads Windows 7 there is a drop down arrow click on it then click on Windows Vista. The entry you can't locate should be the next item on the list right under Disable script debugging(Other).

Last edited: 2015/01/07