1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Living and Loving Norton

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Johanna, 2005/01/30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/02/02
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I checked the Medion homepage and found no reference to a 4.2 GHz Pentium.

A year and a half ago, Pentiums had yet to reach 3 GHz.

Are You sure that You haven't confused the numbers ...... :confused: ...... such as "P4 2.(something) GHz "?

Christer

2. 2005/02/02
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

James:

Nice machine no doubt - just checked out their website. Fastest machine I saw offered was a 3.0GHz P4. Thats not to say they haven't made em' faster in the past.

My apologies for sounding like a broken record. However, for the record, Intel never made a 4.2GHz Pentium 4. And, while 4.4GHz has been reported using a water cooled 3.8MHz P4, most (even water cooled) P4's will not run at 4.2MHz. The fastest commercially available P4 one can buy anywhere at any price is 3.8Ghz.

;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/05
    RockFox Lifetime Subscription

RockFox Well-Known Member

Johanna -

I can't find anything in my Norton AntiVirus about an online scan. Is this something that runs all the time or do I have to start it? Also, your link to "major companies" has nothing about online scan. Please elabroate.

5. 2005/02/05
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Rockfox, the link you refer to wasn't created by Johanna. It is an advertisement that is inserted from one of the many revenue sources that support this forum. The tip off is the double underline of the link.

As for some "Major Companies" that provide free on-line virus scans, try one or all of these:

PANDA Free on-line Virus Scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/

Symantec Free Virus/Trojan & Security Checkup http://security2.norton.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=us&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=HQFQBMRSJRFSKLUKUMX

HOUSECALL Free on-line Virus Scan http://housecall.antivirus.com/

6. 2005/02/05
    James

James Inactive

Just do a Google search (as I just did) using Medion 4.2 GHz CPU. :)

7. 2005/02/05
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

OK, now for the record once again - it doesn't exist. Post a link resulting from your search that identifies this machine and I'll eat crow at the restaurant of your choice. James - call Intel - they don't make such a processor. Quit kicking a dead horse. Its OK - this isn't the end of the world but it doesn't exist.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: 2005/02/05
  8. 2005/02/05
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I used this Medion 4.2 GHz CPU. as suggested. I also did the search from the MSN search bar. ( MSN.com is my home page )

Could it be that this is being miss-understood ?

At a quick glance it looks like Pentium 4.2.8GHZ. THe 4 & 2 are in BOLD which could tend to make it easier to miss-understand.

But I think it is really a Pentium4- 2.8GHZ.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2005/02/05
  9. 2005/02/06
    James

James Inactive

Could be... I can't say. I know that all the printed literature that came with it referred to it as being a 4.2 GHz CPU and when I upgraded some drivers a few months back I had to do a search on the Medion site for that model. Anyway... it's in the closet today. I'm using an AMD 3200... a new HP computer that I got for myself a couple of months ago. I had "other issues" with the Medion and decided to set it aside as a spare box until I could determine what to do with it. You might just be right in your suggestion.

10. 2005/02/06

BillyBob Inactive

Thanks for the comeback James

Right now I am more counfused than ever.

I did some more searching this AM and I see so many different combinations of the 4 2 and/or 4 2 8 that my head is spinning.

A couple of places it was actully 4.2. In others is was 4,2. Still others it was 4 ( space) 2.

But one thing for sure. If these 73 year old eye balls are treating me right, I see a VERY GOOD chance for confusion.

And, if you are using 1024x768 I think the confusion mught be easier yet.

BillyBob

11. 2005/02/06

BillyBob Inactive

More confusion.

A Google seach produces this

It appears that a MSN search and a Google serach produce two different results.

Google Results

BB

Last edited: 2005/02/06
  12. 2005/02/06
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Billy Bob

Thats the first link - go there and start reading - same thing you discovered earlier. Confusion to the casual eye (even the younger ones) to say the least.

:rolleyes:

13. 2005/02/06
    James

James Inactive

Hi BillyBob

The 4,2 notation is European. They substitute a "comma" for a decimal. I'm not sure about the space between the 4 and the 2. Anyway... it's all history to me since I don't use it anymore on a regular basis. I'll likely sell it to a co-worker or donate it to the local school. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.