1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Is Standby worth it?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tenbob, 2005/01/04.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/10
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

I never use hibernate or standby, either, so I experimented like SD2, but I had no problems. I don't see the point, though. My computer gets shut down if I know I'll be away more than a day, otherwise I let it run. I let the "My Pics" screensaver run, too, and enjoy seeing the monitor out of the corner of my eye more than I do the TV.

If there is a power failure, my UPS will do an orderly shutdown of my system, whether I am here or not. So I can walk in, whack the spacebar or touch the trackball and instantly have my desktop. Sometimes I'll hit WinKey and L before I walk away, which means a pause for a password, but this house is occasionally infested with little kids and chaos, and that's easier than trying to figure out where I was when I was interrupted.

At one time, "standby" was greyed out on my log off options, and my cursor would default to the "shut down ". (I use snap to default on my cursor) Somewhere along the line the default became standby. Anyone know how to tweak it back?

Johanna

2. 2005/01/10
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member

I use hibernation constantly, and have done since XP was produced, with never a problem. I like to be able to shut down, maybe for the night, and leave a Photoshop project on the desktop for the next session.

Roger

3. to hide this advert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.