1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

HDD Scan/External Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Tidalwaves, 2014/11/23.

1. 2014/11/26
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

After my last post on this thread(#19) I checked my hard drive with data lifeguard tools it passed all tests. Then I ran HDD Scan 3.3 and got the same warning(exclamation point in a yellow triangle) as you got. 50 Celsius = 122 Fahrenheit. Remember external hard drives are not designed for permanent use such as an extension to your computer but for moving data around. Mine is connected to my laptop only when I do a backup.

Last edited: 2014/11/26
    Tidalwaves likes this.
  2. 2014/11/26
    Tidalwaves

Tidalwaves Inactive Thread Starter

Did it. First test was OK. Second, the extended, said too many bad sectors blah blah blah...

Is it safe to start moving stuff? Because now this data is in complete and total danger. Even if it has to be a GB at a time, meaning conversion is also risky, I presume.

I am willing to spend all day moving stuff from one drive to the other.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/11/26
    Tidalwaves

So...turn it off until we can come to the best conclusion? I'm afraid that if I do that it won't come back on. I still don' know what to do. And the thing is still running strong as far as i can see, I can access everything.

I gotta get this done today. ASAP. Vodka or no vodka, sober or no sober. We're in defcon one. I gotta start now. I hate to be the jerk, but I feel as though I'm in serious trouble that needs to be corrected immediately.

5. 2014/11/26
    Tidalwaves

I'm starting now. I have no other choice. I'll let you know how it goes.

6. 2014/11/26
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Those two CRC errors could have happened a long time ago. And, even if you change the cable, those errors will remain there. They happened, but nothing since then. If the errors were to continue to increase, then you have a problem that needs to be looked into. For now, just keep an eye on it.

On Black Friday, grab another storage device so you have your important stuff stored on more than one device. You might want to consider burning the really important stuff to DVDs and storing them in a Safe deposit box.

Tidalwaves likes this.
  7. 2014/11/26

My apologies Tidalwaves I woke up this morning with bad case of heartburn but it subsided. How is it going so far. If you have that many bad sectors. It is time to get a new hard drive and create DVDs as SpywareDr suggested. Just move your data for now but don not reformat the drive in question get the new one and format it NTFS. If you need any assistance with the format of the new drive just ask. Anyone on Windowsbbs will gladly help you. That's why were are here. Please keep us updated.

Last edited: 2014/11/27
    Tidalwaves likes this.
  8. 2014/11/26
    Tidalwaves

Look, you guys have been great. But right now I'm just copying as much stuff to the internal drive from the external as possible...which is far more complicated I thought it would be. I am so sorry if I have given the impression I blame you or..whatever. It's not the case. This forum has been more helpful than any I have visited before. Do not be "sorry," you've been awesome. But I have to get this stuff copied now. Just in case. It's data I can't afford to lose and more importantly, information other people cannot afford to lose. I was given this responsibility because my reputation is flawless. And I will DIE maintaining that reputation because without it, my worth on this planet isn't even existent.

I'm insane. That's also something to take into consideration. So I see problems and I react as an insane person would. None of this is your fault. I, alone, am to blame. I appreciate, value and love all of your suggestions and any recommendations aren't even considered, they're immediately put into action. Right now, all I can do is delete stupid garbage on my main drive and back up actual important files for people I care for far more than myself. That's all I can do. It already underway, so it's practically done. I have to do it one file at a time sometimes, but it's necessary.

You guys (or gals) have been great. But now I must take immediate action. It's not just me. It's a lot of people I'm personally responsible for. I have to search, destroy and copy as needed. If I mess up, it's on me. Only me.

I appreciate you all and even care for you now because of the level of concern shown. But I gotta get stuff copied just in case.

I will get back to you, I promise. But this much trust wasn't put into me for no reason. I take stuff seriously and I get positive results 99.9% of the time.

9. 2014/11/26

Thank you for the progress report. I know about the loss of irreplaceable data and very special photos that I've lost so I know the urgency. You said you're insane maybe at 99.9% success rate your Insanity=Genius.

10. 2014/11/26
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Don't know if MS One Drive or Sky Drive would come into play here for saving stuff. Seems like it would and I believe it is FREE.

11. 2014/11/27
    Tidalwaves

I have an ADRIVE account and will move some other stuff to it later. I just manually moved about 45GB from the external to the internal. I have like 4GB of space left on the main computer now...and of course I'm not deleting anything off the external so I have to just go grab another one and hope the second transfer goes as well as the first.

I had to do it 2GB at a time because of the NTFS/FAT32 issue. I have a migraine the size of Jupiter. I'm logging off for now and will try and get some sleep. What a miserable couple of days this has been.

And just to put a cherry on top of all this, I get online for a moment and I've got some DMCA threats because someone DLed Game of Thrones and some other movie using a bit torrent program...lol. Like I didn't have enough stuff to deal with. I confront some of the people in my home about it and apparently they do it all the time, they were actually surprised it was such a big deal. They'll cut off internet access if you don't contact them within a few days. Honestly, after all this trouble it's real hard to even be concerned with it. Yeah, cut me off, whatever. I love computers and the internet but right now, after all this work and now having to play internet police with the kids making sure they don't do it all again I've about had it. But on the other side it's real hard to shed tears for stingy billionaires that demand you buy a cable bundle that's like 200 bucks a month just to watch a few shows...

Shoulda been a fisherman. Thanks again. I won't mark this resolved until I'm absolutely sure it actually is. Now I've got 2 overloaded hard drives and...I'm at a loss of words right now.

Again though, I'm sincerely thakful for you taking the time to help me out. I'll be in touch soon.