1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Flash Player Will Not Install

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by CJones910, 2006/07/26.

1. 2006/09/09
    Skipslot

Skipslot Inactive

Another idea is to log into Administrator in safe mode and try it. Maybe there's a permissions conflict here that is the issue.

Does flash work in any other browser? When I had my problem it was global among all my browsers, so if the site used nothing but flash, I was out of luck completely. After my issue was resolved, the flash worked on all browsers.

I haven't fully explored this concept, but I'm wondering if the Shockwave player is an issue with getting the Flash to work right. I know they are separate programs but they would have to work closely to one another to perform right. Not sure if the UNWISE uninstaller in the macromed folder would be of any use here or not.

Try the Adobe troubleshooter here:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/
    You can test it and check its performance. You could try e-mailing support with your problem.

Look at this page carefully and read all 5 steps:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15511#fixall
    After looking at this, I'm wondering how important the browser issue is here. Might try installing it with another browser as default, who knows. It also says to restart after uninstall, maybe it just means to restart the browser, I just figured it would have prompted you if that was the case.

Also, while we are at it :) It wouldn't hurt to look at your Flash permissions in the registry: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19148

2. 2006/09/10
    amthomp25

amthomp25 Inactive

Also read over this page, Emerging Issues with Flash 9:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=4a8d52ae
    If you are getting the quotation marks error there is a registry hack you have to do.

I did the registry hack and still got the same thing again. This seems to be an endless issue that Adobe has not found the cure for.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/07
    2bfreeon3

2bfreeon3 Inactive

Samr Flash Player trouble here.....

:mad: I have had this same issue, for the last two months. Microsoft blames Adobe for the screwup and the Techs over at Adobe say its Microsoft that had some permission issues that are to blame.

I have been to over 10 BBS sites, for both of them and most all have the same recommendations to repair the trouble as you have posted here. Doesnt someone, a Godlike entidy perhaps, have an answer?:confused:

Smokee in Phoenix,Az.85015

5. 2006/10/08
    amthomp25

amthomp25 Inactive

I wish they did. I am sick of this issue. I have done everything that has been suggested several times over and still have no flash player. I really don't care at this point who is at fault for it I just want it fixed.

6. 2006/10/08
    onemwtheone

onemwtheone Inactive

I've since given up. I've also tried everything I could find, to no avail. Maybe I'll check around in a few months to see if anything new is up. If a really want to see something that requires flash, I bring it up in Firefox - it works there.

BOL

7. 2006/10/09
    Skipslot

Skipslot Inactive

Normally when this occurs it is global on all browsers, its nice that you do have one browser that it works in. I wish I could offer something else here, but I am completely out of ideas on this issue. The only other recourse would be reinstalling the OS, but that would be pretty drastic just for flash, but then again so many sites use it anymore.

8. 2006/10/25
    Weatherman

Weatherman Inactive

Fixing Flash 0x80070005 error.

I was having the exact same problem with Flash and IE7. I was able to track down the source of the problem using RegMon.

12.87506771 regsvr32.exe:824 OpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8\CLSID NOT FOUND
    12.87511253 regsvr32.exe:824 OpenKey HKCR\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8\CLSID ACCESS DENIED Access: 0x20019

1) Run REGEDIT
    2) Under HKCU\Software\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8 (and "....CLSID), I had ACCESS DENIED.

The keys had lost their OWNER. Go under "Permissions ", "Advanced ", "Owner" and select the user you are logged in as. Then you can go in and add permissions for that registry key to give youself access to it again. Then you can run the "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash9.ocx" and it should succeed.

Hope that helps. I have no idea how this happened, but this is how I finally was able to fix mine.

- Mark (Weatherman)

9. 2006/10/26
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Maybe this has been said already, so forgive me.
    The link
    http://www.adobe.com/go/getFlashPlayer
    installs (no option to download) a Flash Player (version 9.0.16.0) that allows the viewing of Flash content on a website. It does not appear in Add/Remove. And it will not permit the viewing of downloaded .swf files for example.
    To view downloaded .swf files you need either a third party app like SWF Opener or the latest Flash Player StandAlone which is FlashPlayer 8 from this site
    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
    That Flash Player does appear in Add/Remove.
    The versions of Flash Player9 on the latter site are for special situations. The full FlashPlayer9 is still beta.

10. 2006/11/11
    volunteer

volunteer Inactive

It Worked!!

amthomp25 and onemwtheone,

I don't know if you are stil looking at this thread but if you run regmon while trying to install flash after you get the quotes stop the capture. look through regmon and find access denied errors.

After you find one go to regedit and browse to the key that it says. I had to do this several times because I kept getting access denied errors on a lot of keys. All you need to do is right click on the folder and click permissions. go to advanced and check the box that says inherit permissions.

After I kept doing this about 10 times I finally got all of the keys that were messed up and IE finally installed flash player.

I hope this helps thanks for the tip weatherman!!

11. 2006/11/14
    amthomp25

amthomp25 Inactive

I have the regmon program on my PC, but do not know much about what I am doing with it. When I run it the things just seems to keep going and going. If someone will explain to me how to use it I will gladly do so.
    I did manage to edit some of the permission errors, but I am still not able to install flash.

12. 2006/11/20
    KMC

KMC Inactive

Flash

Ive had the same problem with Flash as the other people above and followed the advice and it has really helped me, my flash player actually works after almost a year!! i went into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash and clicked to install the latest version of flash and it worked a treat! thanks for ur help!

KMC,
  13. 2006/11/20
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

KMC--Which of the fixes suggested was the one that helped you?

14. 2006/11/24
    KMC

KMC Inactive

Hi WelshJim,
    I used Skipnot's advice on the post on 9th Sept 06. To recap, ... "Maybe the missing dll is indeed the problem.
    Check the folder at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia and here C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed. You could try deleting again the contents of them and try to redownload the flash again.

Adobe seems to think if you install the "full" version of the flash after you have uninstalled and attempted repair it will work:
    For IE:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/full_flashplayer_win_ie
    For Netscape compatible browsers:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/full_flashplayer_win "

Im not sure what exactly my problem was only that my flash player refused to work one day and i did not know how to fix it! I followed Skipnot's advice and checked the folder, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia and C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed and erased the old versions of flash and reinstalled the new version. In my case i had been trying to reinstall the new version for months so there was an icon in the macromed folder to install flash 9.

KMC,
  15. 2006/11/27
    jeffallen

jeffallen Inactive

I know how frustated some of you guys have been. Last night, somehow, I lost my flashplayer and now I cannot get it back. I've tried practically everything suggested in this thread.

Here is what happened. I was on YouTube trying to figure out how to download one of the videos to my desktop so I can send it to my brother. There were instructional videos on YouTube that showed you how to do this, so I watched one and downloaded some time of software. The name I cannot remember. Riva, that was it. It converted the flash video into .avi or something like that. Anyway, it was unsuccessful for me and I deleted it, but ever since, I cannot view flash anymore. Not sure if there is a relation or not. I thought I may have gotten a virus, so I ran my virus scan and Ad Aware.

Numerous times I have deleted and reinstalled flash 9, but to no avail. I went into Windows\System32\macromed and documents and settings\application data...all of that. Just cannot seem to figure it out. It's frustrating.

Last night I was surfing on MySpace listening to music, and now I cannot view video or music and I have a feeling this probably isn't going to go away that easily. What's worse is that this is my wife's computer. She is away on a trip until Sunday. If I can't get this computer working like it was by time she returns, I'm a dead man.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited: 2006/11/27
  16. 2006/11/27
    Skipslot

Skipslot Inactive

I would suggest a restore point in your situation. Seeing that you had it just a few days ago.

17. 2006/11/27
    jeffallen

jeffallen Inactive

I thought about that but am not sure how to go about it.

I just checked and my system restore was turned off. So unfortunately, it does not look like this will be a feasible option for me.

What's really frustrating is now when I am on a flash-heavy site, like MySpace, I get that darned popup bar at the top every page I go to.

Last edited: 2006/11/27
  18. 2006/12/03
    grfishers

grfishers Inactive

Adobe (Macromedia) Flash Player not downloading.

Much Thanks. I just joined and plan to check out this site more in the future. I have been dealing with "the Adobe Flash Player not downloading" for awhile now and until I happened upon this site, I was not able to get flashplayer to download. I am sure it was security settings which I did not want to disable. If Adobe would have an option to download an installer instead of from the web page, I don’t think I would have had this problem. I was looking for a site like the one indicated in the thread (http://www.adobe.com/full_flashplayer_win_ie). Every time I tried to locate one, it kept pointing back to the Adobe download page which didn’t work.

19. 2006/12/03
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Flash Player 9.0.28.0 (Complete Standalone Installer) FOR IE ONLY
    Above link is what I use.
    I was hoping when I upgraded to IE7 I would be able to do get a web install directly from Adobe, but no dice.

20. 2006/12/04
    amthomp25

amthomp25 Inactive

Okay I ran the uninstall program to uninstall the messed up Flash I had that was not working. Then I went into C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed and I got rid of the Flash folder just to make sure it was off the pc. Then I clicked on the above link and ran the download for the stand alone player. When the box came up for me to install it I closed all IE windows and clicked install. IN a few mins I got this message
    ERROR 1904.Module
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9b.ocx failed to register
    HRESULTS-2147220473 Contack Support personnel

What do I do next? I think this is the same error I got before.

21. 2006/12/08
    Skipslot

Skipslot Inactive