1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Don't mess with 12 year olds!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by retiredlearner, 2015/03/21.

1. 2015/05/03
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

No, Macauley Culkin was born in 1980.

2. 2015/05/03
    silverwolf107

silverwolf107 Well-Known Member

I must be thinking of The Good Son.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/05/03

JSS3rd Geek Member

You nailed it.

5. 2015/05/03
    silverwolf107

Why thank you. :)

6. 2015/05/05
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

OK, I was born in 1939 and as a pre-teen switches (and sometimes a belt)
    was a part of life, when needed of course. My grand parents raised me and
    they were fair but had a code of right and wrong.

As a teenager, i did the usual dumb things. Nothing criminal but sometimes
    pretty close to the edge.

At 17, i joined the Marines and believe me, 3 months at Paris Island will straighten anyone out.

So, I say bringing back the draft will fix a lot of today's problems with our youth and personal responsibility.

James Martin likes this.
  7. 2015/05/05
    silverwolf107

Other countries like Germany make you join the army of do some kind of civil service for a year or so after you finish high school. Might be an idea.

8. 2015/05/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

We used CMT (Compulsory Military Training) in New Zealand for a number of years during the 1950's. The training camps weren't long enough in my opinion as 3 to 3 and a half months interfered with your employment and 3 week camps once a year were a waste of time.
    I still feel that a 2 year period would be more worthwhile with active service included. It would help to sort out the male and female nohopers who go to University and borrow money for their time doing degrees and never repay it.
    They fill in time at 'varsity with no hope of getting a job in the field they have chosen.
    Military Training would give them the overseas travel they want with a bit of danger thrown in. Good life experience. Neil.

9. 2015/05/05

JSS3rd Geek Member

I couldn't agree more, Neil.

Even though I spent more than 7 years in USAF before beginning my 32 + years at TWA, I was not prepared for college after graduation from HS, and barely made it through.

I'm convinced that a couple of years in the military immediately after HS would have given me a chance to mature and develop the right mindset for when I did enter college.

10. 2015/05/05
    silverwolf107

What I'd propose is military or civil service after high school graduation. The young person could be paid a certain amount for this service, this giving them a financial foothold, not to mention something good to out on their resume/college app.

11. 2015/05/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Military or similar organized enrollment is a good idea for many youth. Some won't be able to cut it though as the literacy level has decline so drastically in the US.

I was raised in the 60s. I flinched whenever my pop put his hands on his waist and started to unbuckle his belt. That was enough of a warning for me for it forced into my recall the previous stingeroos on my rear end! However, pain-drive theory and corporal punishment only worked on me until about the age of 15. I became able to stand up to my pop and hold my ground. My pop then let me "learn the hard way" with my sometimes poor life decisions.

Reason & logic are far better methods of teaching a child through complicated times, but the child must be receptive to it. I certainly wasn't! (no thanks to the 60's counter-culture movements)

Each of my kids got spanked one or two times gently with the palm of my hand when they absolutely needed it. I readied them for the spank by informing them what I was about to do. The spanks were so gentle, but the looks on their faces indicated that something was terribly wrong even though there was no pain involved. They seemed to have got the message that "Dad really could hurt them if he wanted to" and probably made a decision that they never wanted to experience that!

Spanking is always a last resort for a parent who hits the edge of his own reasoning capabilities. It rarely is effective. But it is much better to whack a kid in the wrist when he reaches for a hot burner on the stove than it is to let the kid get burned! And if the kid repeats it, the problem to solve is not stoves, the problem is the kid's ability to understand stoves. In which case you let the kid burn himself.

The environment we live in is not unusually harsh, but this world is just harsh enough to educate one when one's own mental facilities are lacking!

12. 2015/05/06
    silverwolf107

The problem these days is that when parents do try to let their kid learn from their own experience, some idiot calls CPS on then and they lose their kid for abise/neglect.

James Martin likes this.
  13. 2015/05/06
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yes Parris Island can cure all.

14. 2015/07/05
    Dude111

Dude111 Well-Known Member

Good....Little idiot!!!

15. 2015/07/05
    cbumpkin

cbumpkin Well-Known Member

I raised 2 boys. Loved them both but I believe in strict discipline. My "boys" are now 50 and 47 years old and have children of their own. Both men have told us that they were raising their children under the same rules that we made for them.(if you do wrong you must pay the price.) I seems to be working. Both have expressed their regrets now for the few times they disappointed us and express their appreciation for the example we set for them. I think the examples parents are setting before the children are the biggest problem today. Every one has their own opinion so please let me have mine.

lj50 and James Martin like this.
  16. 2015/07/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

Yes, you are correct - the parents set the example. The problem today (IMOP) is that 2 generations back we were deluged with new Technology.
    I expressed the opinion at the time that violence as displayed in video games had no repercussions.
    Sword fights, bashing people with baseball bats and kickings and shootings became the norm via the new mediums.
    Us oldies know that if you get kicked or hit with a baseball bat - it's going to hurt and do damage. The young people don't seem to understand that and because the PC Brigade has gone completely daft, the young people will only learn the hard way - death and maiming.
    Again - my opinion. Neil.

17. 2015/07/05
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Political correctness and common sense often collide with one another.

18. 2015/07/06
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It's about reality. Wyle E. Coyote blow himself up, or Elmer Fudd shoots some one the next cartoon both characters are alive again. Some young people fail to realize this. So they get a gun and shoot some one. But that person does not come back. Because this isn't cartoon land nor Cartoon World. Dead is dead.

19. 2015/07/06
    silverwolf107

It's because of that that you can't even find Looney Toons on TV anymore.

20. 2015/07/06
    Dude111

Dude111 Well-Known Member

Yes its quite sad....... NOTHING BUT GARBAGE ON NOW!!

James Martin likes this.
  21. 2015/07/06
    silverwolf107

Yeah. Saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the past.

Dude111 likes this.