1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Do you backup, and what do you backup to?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Arie, 2008/02/22.

?

Do you backup, and what do you backup to?

Poll closed 2008/03/31.
  1. Automated backup

25.0%
  2. Manual backup

61.5%
  3. Don't backup

7.3%
  4. - - -

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Floppy diskette

2.1%
  6. CD

13.5%
  7. DVD

19.8%
  8. Other hard drive

72.9%
  9. Tape drive

2.1%
  10. USB flash drive

7.3%
  11. Other device

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 2008/04/01
    Dud Gorgon

Dud Gorgon Inactive

backups

The HDD for the OS is backed up with Norton Ghost. The data is backed up to tape automatically.

2. 2008/04/09
    hornet

hornet Inactive

well as many i make a base image of the system partition then create incremental images about once a month.

I sync all my personal data to an external HD using Super flexible file synchronizer.Thanks for info about all the other sync programs i was looking out for a good one.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/04/17
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

I don't use a single backup solution, because there are three reasons I back up, and each reason has a different 'best' solution in my opinion.
    1. Disaster recovery.The most common cause of disaster being catastrophic hardware failure. Fast access to the backup and rapid complete reinstall is key. For this the best solution is Image backup to a network hard drive.
    2. Repair systems when someone or something corrupts a file. Simple rapid access and recovery of recent versions of files is needed here. For this shadow copy is perfect.
    3. Archive and recovery of very old versions Two reasons for this: there are files that need to be stored and recovered for long periods in any operation; and secondly some problems don't become apparent weeks or months after the corruption occurs. Sometimes, you just have to roll back to a very old version. For archive, I don't think you can beat tape.
    Therefore, a backup strategy that works for me is, shadow copy enabled, daily backup to tape (with a rotation scheme that ensures tapes are regularly archived) via windows backup, weekend backup to network hard drive with image software such as Acronis or Paragon.