1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Do you backup, and what do you backup to?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Arie, 2008/02/22.

?

Do you backup, and what do you backup to?

Poll closed 2008/03/31.
  1. Automated backup

25.0%
  2. Manual backup

61.5%
  3. Don't backup

7.3%
  4. - - -

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Floppy diskette

2.1%
  6. CD

13.5%
  7. DVD

19.8%
  8. Other hard drive

72.9%
  9. Tape drive

2.1%
  10. USB flash drive

7.3%
  11. Other device

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 2008/02/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

Many users often think about backing up their data but never get around to it until it's too late. This month we thought it would be interesting to see if our visitors back up their data and what they back it up to.

My own strategy:

I use Windows Home Server to have my computers backed up on a daily basis.

The complete WHS database is also backed up once a month (to a removable hard drive).

I also make backups of my data on DVD once a month.

Arie,
  2. 2008/02/22
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I use Norton Ghost 2003 to create images of the system partition to a target on another hard disk. I do that once a month, after the monthly batch of updates to Windows and Office has been installed.

I backup the data partition to a target on another hard disk using a freeware program, Karen's Replicator. I do that when I deem it "good thinking" and I seem to think once a month.

Christer

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/02/22
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

My data partition I manually backup to another internal hard drive and intermittently to a networked machine. The operating system I clone to another drive and maybe twice a year I’ll make an image and send it to the other machine. Gave up on using CD/DVD for backup years ago. I have recently been planning to set up some kind of automated backup for my data.

5. 2008/02/22
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member

I have an internal hard drive that I plug into my desktop once a month, and copy the contents of My Documents onto it, using Karen's Replicator. Fairly quick the 2nd and subsequent backups, b/c it only backs up what has changed. For my laptop, I can barely squeeze the contents of my hdd onto a single DVD, which I do also on a supposedly monthly basis. Its a pain to use (the internal drive), but its a heck of a lot cheaper than the external usbs, or even an internal in a case.

Just heard recently that MS has just taken its online file storage out of beta (or is it, just made it available to anyone wants it?)...5 gigs for free, but the showstopper was that you had to upload files individually. There is no way I'm going to upload thousands of files manually. Ultimately, I would like to use the forthcoming Google backup as my backup and just forget using a second hard drive, because it woudl be quicker and I wouldn't have to worry about a fire destroying my computer and my backup files!

6. 2008/02/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I have 3x SATA internal drives split into 17 partitions and use SynchBackSE to back up my data drive hourly and the registry daily (last 7 days registry back ups auto retained) to another internal hard drive,

My image files (3 drives) are automatically backed up to another internal hard drive on a weekly basis. Image files are also burnt to DVD on a monthly basis or as required.

Once a week I run a manual SynchBack profile and backup all of the above to an external hard drive.

I use Acronis to image the OS drive at least once a month to an external hard drive and try to maintain an ASR backup to another external hard drive on a monthly basis too.

I believe in belt, braces and a piece of string :D

7. 2008/02/22
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Daily Automated Data backups (SyncBackSE) - Two XP's write to internal partitions, w98 sends over network to my XP internal partition.

Bimonthly Images (Acronis) - Manual - XP's/internals - w98 over network.

Monthly - Manual - (SyncBackSE profiles) - Immediately after month end Images, all internal data drives (includes images) are copied to external drive.

Frequently / whenever - Manual - Web Storage - (3rd redundant copy)
    Their was no listing available for this so I used "Other device ". Primary used for the real important stuff. Have 2x Google email accounts I manage via Gspace, a Firefox extensions. I store program Keys/Serial numbers, similar program info (text files), and important documents (scan pics) information (uploaded in password locked zips).
    Digital Family Photo's - Have been using AOL xDrive, which provides 5GB of free storage (do not reccommend - clungee - requires program install). I'm running out of space, so I started using Adrive this week. Provides 50GB of Free online storage with NO program install (Java interface). The only restrictions, can not exceed 1000 files PER batch send, ONE file can not exceed 2GB, so this is a nice resource. The last two evenings while I'm online browsing / posting have approx. 1GB batches (about 750, less than 1000 files) uploading to Adrive. Upload speed is about 3.5MB / 4MB per minute. Site also provides "Share file" which allows access via email link restricted permission to family / friends. Once I have all my family digital pics uploaded, will upload (1) image file for each computer, update maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

Last edited: 2008/02/22
  8. 2008/02/23
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

I finally got on the back up train after many years of not doing it at all.

Now I have automated everything backed up to an external hdd each nite.

9. 2008/02/24
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I use Norton Ghost 12 to make automatic daily incremental images and send them to a second hard drive. It takes less than one minute at boot, works in the background, so I pay no attention to it. The incremental images are normally only 60 megs or thereabouts (depends on drive activity of course). I keep 90 days of those but could easily accommodate a years worth with plenty of room to spare on a 60 gig drive.

Ghost is the fastest imaging tool that I have found.

Last edited: 2008/02/24
  10. 2008/02/24
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I burn an image to CD's on rare occasions.

11. 2008/02/25
    Techmonkey

Techmonkey Inactive

At home I use Syncback and then use a maxtor one touch drive. I have the button the drive programmed to run an instant backup of my important files to the Maxtor drive.

At work I use Syncback as well, but have it set to run 7pm nightly and back everything up to an offsite Network drive.

Works well and very rarely need to look at it.

12. 2008/02/25
    sparky Lifetime Subscription

sparky Well-Known Member

I backup the desk machine to a laptop. I just backup data files and the email main email file. If I go on a trip then I will sync the desk to the lap and when I get back I go the other way.

I used to use tape on an automatic basis but that turned out to be a PIA, tapes are too slow. syncing two machines over the network goes quite fast at blinding Ethernet speeds.

13. 2008/02/25
    Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

I have 2 internal SATA drives, one is used for backups only and is only connected during the backup process. I create an image of the operating system and 3 other data partitions onto the backup drive once a month, usually the first day of the month. Going from one SATA disk drive to another SATA disk drive takes less than 30 minutes for 4 partitions.

Individual files are copied to backup media manually as required. Quicken files are backed up after any transaction is added. Photos are copied to CD-R right after they get downloaded from the camera. I have to get those photos backed up real fast before my wife goes in and crops one and saves it, overlaying the original.:D

Gordon

14. 2008/02/26
    RexB Lifetime Subscription

RexB groundskeeper

I backup to an external 500GB hard drive, but don't like the RetroExpress backup software. Thanks for the info on Karen's Replicator :)

Also make an occasional DL DVD of the have-to-have data.

15. 2008/02/28
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

I use an external HD and/or a USB external drive for backups.
    For software i'm using Acronis and only backing up the "C" drive, takes
    about 18-20 minutes.

I use acronis because if the sys won't boot at all, i just power on the
    external HD and pop-in the acronis boot cd. It then runs and will restore
    the full "C" drive to whatever the date the back was created.
    Works pretty good.

I'll look at Karen's

16. 2008/03/07
    thomasl

thomasl Inactive

I have two networked desktop PCs.
    I use NovaBack from NovaStore for my backups.
    Having initially performed a full backup of each machine to DVDs, I now do nightly scheduled differential backups of each machine to the hard disk of the other, alternating to two target folders.
    One night a week I have scheduled backups to DVD+RW disks which I can store off-sight in case of a major disaster. For these I have two sets of DVDs which are used alternately.

17. 2008/03/15
    scout321x Contributing Member

scout321x Inactive

My primary hard drive is partitioned into a C: drive and a D: drive. The C: drive only contains the system and Program Files while the D: drive contains everything else.

I have a secondary hard drive that also has two partitions. I manually back up the C: drive to one secondary partition and the D: drive to the other secondary partition.

I have been using the Win XP backup utility. However, it seems no one else is using it so that gives me a "bad" feeling. I will have to research some of the other back up software mentioned above.

18. 2008/03/23
    muzic

muzic Inactive

normally i will backup everything that doesnt contain virus will b joining my D:

and handy drive and DVD too. great choices to backup files in there.

nowadays is good to backup using handy drive(flash drive), its easy and really convenient

19. 2008/03/23
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

My boot HD has four partitions, each of which I back up manually to an external HD once a week, using Acronis TrueImage. The external HD is also partitioned so, for not-quite-complete redundancy, the once-a-week backups are done on alternating partitions.

I backup my email nightly, by copying the mail folder to a separate partition on the external HD, then renaming it with the date and time so that I can have more than one mail folder on the partition.

20. 2008/03/24
    Bronan

Bronan Inactive

Well i have some as some people say big machines mainly because they act sometimes as servers for a +1500 people company

So internally i have 4 x 500 Gb drives on which i have 1 as backup for important data.

From this drive i have a copy in the other machine.
    I use for documents as backup a scsi dat tape drive.

For my photo collection i store once a quarter all pictures on DVD's and monthly back them up to my Nas on my local lan.

The music collection is done to the Nas as well as being stored on a seperate 500 Gb usb drive.

On the other machine i keep my movie files which are in backup on my Nas as well

But to be honest it gets more difficult every day to store all this data especially becuase all data grows with every new version of the programs.
    Even the newer HD-DVD disks and the newer tape storage devices are way to small for storing this amounts of data.

So it would be nice if their would come a good solution for the ever growing data.

21. 2008/03/29
    ReCyke

ReCyke Inactive

Backups? We don't need no stinking ..

Geez Louis, it's been ages since I really backed up anything.
    My C: and D: reside on my first internal Sata drive..
    I used to use Norton Ghost to make an image and store it on the 2nd partition.
    Then we formatted using NTFS and I lost that ability.. Didn't upgrade ..

I have an external IDE through USB that I use for backing up my Music, Movies, Photos, recent driver downloads, etc.

Everyone has USB ports and hard drives are getting cheaper so,.. Go external with USB.