1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Digital Camera For Christmas

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Rockit, 2004/12/03.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/12/13
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Hi Rockit,

Sounds to me like you don't need any advice. :D

I'm an old Lieca man (still have 4 around here, one a SLR), with half dozen lenses from 35mm to 500mm.

The 7440 has 4X optical zoom (35 mm equivalent: 33-132 mm) - pretty good for portraits and close-ups; and the 6490 has 10X optical (35 mm equivalent: 38-380 mm) up to a medium telephoto - would be good for travel, especially out west - a little bulkier and heavier, but sill miniature.

My Kodak is a 6440 with 4X optical zoom which I find plenty for my purposes. Have always taken a Leica on trips.

2. 2004/12/13
    James

James Inactive

My wife and I each have our own Kodaks. We loved them so much that after a year we upgraded to the current model (in this case the DX7590). This is more than your budget but we were also very happy with Kodak Easy Share cameras that were less sophisticated. Easy Share is an extremely easy to use camera software that allows you to either transfer your pictures to the computer via a USB connection direct from the camera, via a dock (an $80 extra) which also keeps the camera constantly recharged or via a card reader. The Kodak color is unsurpassed... period. You cannot go wrong with this wonderful camera system. I would strongly advise you to get it through Costco since you can always easily return it if you are not fully satisfied.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/12/13
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Hi Rockit,

Suggest a couple of these 128MB MMC Cards as a start. Doubt you'd need a larger size since each should hold about 100 pics.

I'm sure newegg.com will provide the best price with shipping for the camera and any options like this memory. I got the lens adapter for close-up and telephoto lenses also, but don't use it as much as I expected.

5. 2004/12/14
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks to everybody for your input and suggestions. Nothing like a crash coursh in digital camera's in two weeks but I finally made my choice and placed my order so that it will be here by Christmas Eve. I wanted a zoom camera that would take good pictures for under $200 bucks. Well thats not quite what I ordered but I think I made a good purchase. I used google to find the best price with 3 day shipping and found that if I applied for their credit card Amazon beat all other websites. I have ordered before from Amazon and have always been pleased with their service.

Now all I need to figure out is what this means
    and what I need to look for when shopping for a upgrade?

Anyway thanks again for all your help.

Happy Holidays
    Rockit

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-2906744-5731920?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846

Last edited: 2004/12/14
  6. 2004/12/20
    Rockit

What do ya think of this? Will it work in the camera that I bought?

Thanks
    Rockit

Amazon.com - Viking 128 MB CompactFlash Card (CF128M) $2.99 After Rebate.

Amazon has the Viking 128 MB CompactFlash Card (CF128M) selling for $18.99 with a $16 rebate (exp. 12/31/04) making your cost $2.99. Free shipping on orders of $25 or more and no taxes for most.

7. 2004/12/21
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Rockit--So what did you get?
    It is the camera that dictates what memory card must be used. There are at least five different types.
    So if the manual tells you to use "CompactFlash Card " then that is what you have to use.
    BTW--That rebate will probably be available on only one card.

8. 2004/12/22
    Rockit

Hey Jim,
    Here is the link to the camera I finally bought. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it since NOW they are putting all the camera's on sale Big time!! I hate it when they do that and it's probably why my wife and I normally wait till after Christmas to get the things we need or want.
    I'll check on that rebate to see if I can order two of the memory card's since that will make the shipping free by going over $25.

Happy Holiday's
    Rockit

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001G6U52/ref=ref=amb_bl_91599//104-9736836-9393532

Last edited: 2004/12/22
  9. 2004/12/22
    Rockit

10. 2004/12/22
    Rockit

Storage Media CompactFlash

Storage Media CompactFlash (CF) Card Type I or Type II

File Format Design rule for camera file system (DCF*1)

Here are the specs. for the memory for this camera.

Can someone give me some information on what to look for when buying memory for this camera?

I've seen something about the speed of the memory cards.

I've checked Canon's website and it doesn't say anything about memory speed?

On amazon for the $2.99 128mb card there is a review and the person complains about the speed of the card.

Thanks Allot
    Rockit

11. 2004/12/22
    Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Rockit,
    Before you go and ship the other one back you better make sure you can get just the camera at that price. It may be like the Olympus you didn't buy because the person wanted to sell you other things with the camera. If you look at the price they want for their CF cards they are way over priced. They want $69.99 for a 32 MB card. You can get a 1 GB card for that price.

12. 2004/12/23
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

rockit--
    1) FWIW--Here is what ResellerRatings says about Royal
    http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html
    2) Ask what type of warranty you get. You may have heard that cameras are often sold more cheaply when they are "grey market" which means they were meant for sale elsewhere and the manufacturer will not provide any warranty service in the US.

13. 2004/12/23
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Welshjim,

Good site, Jim. Here's Egghead.com for comparison.

14. 2004/12/23
    Rockit

Wow Jim,
    It seems that every website that offers the camera for less is rated very poorly and referred to as SCAM artist.

I'll let the wife decide whether or not to try and find a better deal or just keep it.

That website you posted is very handy for checking out resellers.

Thanks Allot
    Rockit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.