1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Delete INFCACHE failes to restart Setup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by loninappleton, 2014/07/26.

1. 2014/07/29
    loninappleton

loninappleton Inactive Thread Starter

Well not much is ever changed in my BIOS and I went through resetting to default during my BIOS upgrade which I did for reasons mentioned before (F6 etc.) That is one of the instructions from Biostar.

The idea of reversing the Bios upgrade-- well I'd have to locate a working HD _with_ the backup on it.

I've always used on board video and a corded keyboard and USB mouse. The PCI board I removed.

I can reset defaults from a working HD for all that.

None of this should effect whether I see the Uppers and Lowers or whatever in that
    regedit routine should it?

2. 2014/07/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You're having all this problem with one hard drive?
    My suggestion would be to slave this drive in another comp and transfer any Data/Files you want to save from it.
    Then install a fresh XP OS to the drive and start again.
    Reasons: You can't Repair it - you're getting all sorts of error messages - you can't get the OS to open properly.
    Over to you. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/30
    loninappleton

No, separate problems separate HD's

Yes I've wanted to get what I could off of the damaged one. Program content is easy to duplicate from cd backup. Content backup of media files has to be done from the HD.

The giveio.sys is one unsolved dilemma HD and the "asms" registry job is on another HD-- all used for XP backups. My master for these has the asms fault.

Loading one of these damaged ones with my one bootable XP HD old timer , all that shows up is any files in the root. And one HD-- giveio.sys insists on being D:. This I do not understand at all.

On topic here I previously stated I do not know what to do next since I followed the registry path and did not find the 'upper' and 'lower' whatev's in the 'right hand panel'. Nothing there but one line containing 'default'

5. 2014/07/31
    loninappleton

6. 2014/08/03
    loninappleton

I am going to close this thread as solved.

Today I was able to do the reget technique described. But the error returned.

I then used the del INFCACHE.1 and that got me to another error and then Setup continued to where I could enter the product code.

Del INFCACHE.1 _did_ work but only in the conjunction with the regedit so the thread can close.

The Setup is currently hung and I think for good this time unless I can use a command to change the drive letter. You see, when entering CMD mode during this setup with one drive on the machine, it is _always_ seen as D:. I think this has hung setup permanently after waiting a good long time.

Will close this and pose a new thread on how to change a drive letter b/c this has gone on long enough.

I did learn some things.