1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

cmd download

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bubba, 2007/06/13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

Bubba Inactive Thread Starter

I see. In answer to your Q about what I find on system 32, I find a black computer screen with C:\ _ on it. I also find the regular blue rimmed computer screen with the normal white face with the command icon.

2. 2007/06/18
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Click on Start->Run and type CMD.exe and tell us what happens.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

I entered the CMD.exe on the run box and it brought up the cmd exe prompt window. How do I get rid of the .com one?

5. 2007/06/18
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I'd scan for Viruses as mentioned above:eek:

Or you can find the file and try to rename it.

6. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

I just remembered that it wasn't the cmd I thought I downloaded, it was the ipconfig download that I thought I needed. At least that's what I think, it's been over a year :D . I just found out that only 98 uses that and XP used cmd.

7. 2007/06/18
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

Bubba, here are some links to online scanners.

Vincenzo Di Russo's [MVP IE] Blog - VIRUS SCANNERS ON-LINE

8. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

Thanks Mailman, I've used the AVG scan but will use the ones you gave in your link as well.

9. 2007/06/18

mailman Geek Member

You're very welcome, Bubba. :)

Are you certain you're using AVG Anti-Virus? If I recall correctly, Grisoft has at least two different AVG "anti-..." applications available: AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Virus (both reputable as far as I know).

It's good to have a few different reputable anti-virus (AV) applications handy because none of them are 100% effective. One AV scanner might find a virus that another AV scanner misses.

NOTE: Keep in mind only one AV application should be running "memory-resident" as a background "real-time protection" process. Use the other anti-virus applications as on-demand-only scanners to periodically scan your drive(s).

Any additional anti-virus programs you use should be installed and configured to turn off memory-resident real-time protection so they don't "fight" each other for control.

If you want help locating any reputable anti-virus applications to install, let me know and I'll provide some suggestions.

Last edited: 2007/06/18
  10. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

Let me know what anti virus progams you like.

11. 2007/06/18

mailman Geek Member

I'm not going to really answer that the way you might want because I am not an expert in anti-virus measures and my bias towards any particular AV product would almost certainly be contested by others who think their AV solution is better. I currently don't wish to enter in such debates. :) If you use the search utility here at Windows BBS for people's opinions, I'm fairly certain you'll find plenty.

When I look for suggestions, I tend to focus on finding the opinions of people who are well-established experts among the anti-malware community (such as TeMerc and noahdfear here at Windows BBS) or the staff members here at Windows BBS (PeteC, charlesvar, and Steve R Jones, for example).

When I go to other reputable anti-malware forums, for example, I tend to respect the opinions of the higher-ranking members. Their opinions seem more credible to me.
    In your case, I suggest you try one or more of those AV applications to see if you can solve your cmd issue.

We should probably save this thread space for further discussion about recommended AV applications until after solve your cmd issue or if you reach a dead-end with suggestions already given in this thread. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you discover about your cmd issue.

Good luck!

12. 2007/06/18
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Open the system32 folder. Click Tools>Folder Options from the toolbar menu. Click the View tab. Scroll down and uncheck 'Hide known extensions', click OK.
    Now look for files beginning with cmd and command. You should find cmd.exe and command.com
    If you find cmd.com and/or command.exe, delete them.
    If the C:\Windows\system32 folder is still not visible via Windows Explorer (can't find it navigating through My Computer), open a command window and type or paste the following command, then hit enter.

attrib -a -h -r -s c:\windows\system32

Let us know if cmd from the run line is now working properly, and if the system32 folder is visible via Windows Explorer.

13. 2007/06/18
    WhitPhil

WhitPhil Inactive

But, if they are really infected with Picrate or Alcra or something else, removing these files won't get rid of the rest of the infection.

14. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

I did the above and found only the command.com and deleted. After typing the attrib message in the run box, the system 32 folder appeared in the Windows folder. The cmd when placed in the run box yields the message:

C:\windows\system32\cmd.com
    Config.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

I also rebooted and was still the same.

15. 2007/06/18
    WhitPhil

WhitPhil Inactive

Have you run any of the online virus checks?

The .com files are still there along with the rest of the infections!

Since Symantec is one that recognizes this virus run their check

Last edited: 2007/06/18
  16. 2007/06/18
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Command.com is a legitimate system file (and protected by Windows..... you can't delete it). You need to look for cmd.exe and cmd.com .......... cmd.exe being legit, cmd.com not.

You previously reported that cmd.exe is present in the system32 folder. Are you saying that is no longer there?

WhitPhil ........ we'll get to that. Despite the symantec writeup, specialized tools are still required more often than not to completely and effectively remove those infections. ;)

17. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

Thanks WhitPhil, I'll give it a whirl.

18. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

Can I get the Command.com back? cmd.exe is there. Can't find any cmd.com.

19. 2007/06/18
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

May be wrong about command.com being protected :p ............. open the recycle bin, locate command.com and right click>restore

20. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

Recycle bin, yeah I forgot about that.

21. 2007/06/18
    Bubba

Command.com is restored and after placing cmd in run box, I received the original message that I mentioned before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.