1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

CD Burning Software: Nero or Roxio?

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by James, 2004/11/22.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/11/27
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I tried one of Norton's utility suites on a 30 day basis a while back, and I never managed to get it all uninstalled...Finally had to wipe the HD clean and start over.

Also, someone from Office Max told me that Symantec will not discount their software just to get rid of it...The employee told me that Symantec orders them to break the unsold CD's in half and throw them away from time to time.

Does that sound like a tight wad company?

2. 2004/11/27
    James

James Inactive Thread Starter

All I can say is a big AMEN! I also had Roxio 5 as did my wife. We both upgraded to Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 and both have had nothing (and I mean NOTHING) but troubles and crashes. In my case, I took the cd and threw it into the garbage. I'll never go back to Roxio again. I received nothing but headaches from trying to communicate with their lousy tech support and their forum is a complete and utter waste of time and energy.

After posting this message on another forum I've decided to go with Nero. I don't need anything fancy... just a decent burner and Nero (even Nero Express) will do that quite nicely.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/11/27
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

One other note....Not long after installing Roxio (Came with the burner), my MB died!

So much for Roxio. :rolleyes:

5. 2004/11/27
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Been reading all this with astonishment!

As for software damaging hardware such as a HDD or mobo, I can tell you, as an experienced assembler programmer, that's impossible with the possible exception of a virus corrupting a BIOS.

Have used adaptek and now roxio for years, with a few years of incd between. Since I use the drag and drop part mostly, for incremental back-ups on either cd-rs or cd-rws, and now dvds, never have to format either as they're formatted as written, I have only had to do 20-30 min formats with nero. Roxio does a format if one erases a cd-rw completely, but it takes only about 2 minutes, so is probably not a complete format.

Last edited: 2004/11/27
  6. 2004/11/27
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Probably true.....But my computer was quite unstable after installing Roxio.

7. 2004/11/28
    tenbob

tenbob Inactive

Maybe someone else did but ** I ** never said it was a tightwad company. However, they have not made an effort to make it easy to get tech support.

8. 2004/11/28
    James

When I recently raised the issues I was having with Roxio EMC 7, after several posts the entire thread was erased from the forum. I could hardly believe my eyes when on the following morning I went back to continue the discussion and discovered it was nowhere to be found. Apparently Roxio does not take kindly to criticism in a public format.

9. 2004/11/28
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi James,

Sad but true. Symantec behaved the same way when they had a forum. In the end, they put the forum out of it's misery.

There are software companies that do have integrity: no matter what you think of ZoneLabs or Sygate software for instance, they take complaints and criticism on their forums.

Regards - Charles

10. 2004/11/28
    James

Hi Charles

Yes, I've seen this behavior on Symantec's former forum. For six years I ran nothing but Norton and this past year decided to drop it once and for all. I'm disappointed with Roxio's attitude towards its customers and it cost me $80 out of pocket but I'm wiser for it. *sigh*

I really don't require anything fancy and from what I hear, Nero Express could be all I really need. However, there is a point at which you have to ask yourself, "If I "under-buy" (as opposed to over-buy) and then require something that gives more options, what did I gain? I don't think I'm expressing this very well. I suppose I'm in a quandary as to whether to buy the full version of Nero or just the stripped down Express version. Any thoughts?

11. 2004/11/28
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi James,

Have you tried XP's burning software first? It may be all that you require. If not, you'll have a better idea of what you want and then can make a better decision.

How to on XP's burning software: In the Help & Support applet on the start menu - search for burn.

Essentially, you browse for files/folders to be burned out into a temporary buffer area and then XP burns them to a cd. If you want to add to them or delete them after the burn, you have a chance to do so in that buffer area, XP will read the cd contents into that buffer area. 3rd party burning software does the same, except that its a lot more transperant.

If you want to use the cd as a floppy, then you will have to use either Nero's InCd or Roxio's DirectCD or whatever they call it now.

Edit: If you want to add to them or delete them after the burn, you have a chance to do so in that buffer area, XP will read the cd contents into that buffer area. No, I'm confusing Roxio w/XP's. To re-arrange or add/delete data, you erase the cd (if RW) and burn out again.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2004/11/28
  12. 2004/11/28
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I said it.....I think they are a tightwad company, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.