1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Boot from HDD Problem [SATA drive not detected]

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by nobbie_ferguson, 2005/08/18.

1. 2005/08/22
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Hi Christer,

IMHO, the drivers the OS needs are for the 'RAID' chip on the mobo, not the SATA disk. The chip is or has a BIOS addition to the mobo BIOS, that recognises the drive (and additionally handles RAID functionality if the need arises). The drivers added to the OS enable it to see the RAID chip and through it to see the drive. RAID HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT; they're called raid drivers for lack of a better name because they enable the os to see and use the RAID chip on the mobo (or on an add-in card).

I can see my 'raid' bios working during the boot process, even tho 'raid' isnt installed, an unfortunate double meaning of the word raid. :(

From your quotes, not impressed with the article; doesn't fit with my experience or undrestanding of BIOSs in general, or this in particular.

All HDDs have embedded electronics which could be considered BIOS additions and could have drivers, though generally don't. Chips on the mobo usually DO require drivers. In this case, I see the RAID chip's BIOS working every time I watch the box boot, and see no evidence of a HDD BIOS working during boot (which proves nothing :D ).

Last edited: 2005/08/22
  2. 2005/08/22
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Well! Finally got around to looking at the "Installing Windows on a SATA drive" thread and see nothing that contradicts my opinion.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/08/22
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

sparrow,
    my conclusion, based on Your statement, is that all modern motherboards have RAID. If one doesn't, it can't have SATA ...... :confused: ...... right?

Christer

5. 2005/08/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Hi Christer
    Wrong :) I had an Asus mobo some years ago - don't recall the model no. right now, which most certainly had RAID as I experimented with it with EIDE drives and, as I recall, it was not SATA enabled, and my current desktop board supports EIDE RAID - ASUS A8V Deluxe.

FWIW - To confirm my belief that the detection of a SATA drive requires the RAID cotroller I renamed the driver - viaraid.sys and rebooted. Guess what - the SATA drive was not seen by Windows :D

Edit - the SATA drive is for storage only - no OS.

6. 2005/08/22
    Christer

Hi Pete!

I meant the other way around. Your MB had RAID but not SATA. I concluded that if it does not have RAID it can not have SATA.

I'll have to check the computers that I built for any RAID drivers. If they are there, it's not by my fingers.

Christer

7. 2005/08/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The mystery deepens :)

8. 2005/08/22
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

i've been watching this myself. Interesting how many twist and turns there are
    present.

The whole thing seems to boil down to a trial and error routine. Maybe by the
    next generation of SATA (3.0) or next Windows, they will have a straight-
    forward method.

savagcl

9. 2005/08/22
    Christer

Yes, one can only hope!

SATA II (whatever that is) and 3 GB/s is already here but I wonder when the below will appear:

Christer

10. 2005/08/22
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

I can't answer Christer's question, but I think Pete has. I look at the RAID chip as a dual function chip, first to recognise SATA drives (which otherwise the mobo can't do) and second to to impliment RAID 0, RAID 1, etc. :D

Multifunction might be a better description and that's not unusual in mobo chips these days. Look up the definition of the northbridge chip for instance.

Last edited: 2005/08/22
  11. 2005/08/23
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

From the Promise RAID manual:
    Quoting the menu in the on-RAID-chip BIOS (which comes up after POST and before control is given to the OS.)

5. Choose the RAID Level you want. In the Define Array Definition Menu section, press the Spacebar to cycle through array types:
    • RAID 0 (Striping)
    • RAID 1 (Mirroring)
    • RAID 0+1 (Striping / Mirroring)
    • RAID 5 (Data / Parity Striping)
    • JBOD (Single Drive)

See the pic below (click to enlarge)

Tabs removed below by the bbs, but think you can make sense of it.
    Level: Number of Drives
    RAID 0: 2, 3 or 4
    RAID 1: 2 only
    RAID 0+1: 4 only
    RAID 5: 3 or 4
    JBOD: 1, 2, 3 or 4

JBOD is just additional connections for adding one or more drives to a system. A disk drive that is not assigned to an array will automatically function as a spare or only drive.

And found this too but can't recall the site:
    A smart thing that JBOD does is that it can treat the odd sized drives as if they are a single volume (thus a 10GB drive and a 30GB would be seen as a single 40GB drive), so it is good to use if you have a bunch of odd sized drives sitting around.

Last edited: 2005/08/23
  12. 2005/08/23
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Final thought (I hope):
    Agreed, in the sense that it must have a RAID or equivalent chip. I'm not aware of any of the latter, but seems I've read that VIA is implementing RAID on its chipset (Northbridge?). If that's true, we'll be setting up SATA disks in the normal BIOS Setup program.

13. 2005/08/23
    Christer

Hi sparrow!

The same instruction is valid for the SIL3114 chip and RAID5. Reading that manual raised a few questions:

Doesn't JBOD treat a number of disks as one?

What if, I want to connect two but treat them independently, not risking the creation of a partition that is "shared" between the two disks?

The bottom line (for me at least) is that if I have no plans whatsoever to RAID anything, why should I have to go through all this fuss? I just want to use a SATA disk!

It appears to me that SATA was released prematurely, especially since the maximum theoretical performance is not any better than ATA 133 and that more time should have been allowed for technicalities like this to be worked out. Hopefully the new ataport/miniport, whenever it appears, will provide a solution to this mess.

Christer

14. 2005/08/23
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Yes.
    Excellent question.

Not sure, but the Asus Av8 Delux has both Promise and VIA RAIDs available and wonder if you'd have to (or even could) put one disk on each? Just a thought. My experience is only with boxes having single HDDs, except my own, but have so many GB on ATAs, can't justify the purchase of more HDDs presently.
    You mean, like Windows? :D Just marketing; have to raise the money to continue deveoping. And, of course, to continue deveoping to raise money, kind of a circle! :D

I can't recall ever hearing a programmer or software or hardware company or even the government say anything's ever finished!

15. 2005/08/23
    Christer

I guess that different hardware designers are flogging each others backs too. The harddisk manufacturers started shipping the SATAs and the motherboard designers said "HEY - WE AREN'T QUITE FINISHED HERE!" and the critical mass was reached.

I did a search for "GA-K8VM800M" the motherboard for the next build and I found GA-K8VM800M SATA boot problem

When the system was running from a PATA and the SATA was added, it was detected and worked fine.

When the SATA substituted the PATA as system drive: Problems!

The solution (post #3 from the top) was a BIOS upgrade and disabling RAID. Installation of WinXP without any "F6 + driver installation" was successful.

Christer

16. 2005/08/23
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Interestiing, but nobody in that thread made the partition on the SATA active! See http://www.windowsbbs.com/showpost.php?p=253442&postcount=37
    (last paragraph). More than one way to .....

Normally, BIOS looks on the first HDD (when there are several) for the OS. Don't know what a BIOS upgrade did, but maybe changed from that normal procedure? Windows and DOS will only make the first hard drive active, but linux or PM will make any active, and maybe more than one (not sure about that). "Turning off RAID" is not the same as turning off the RAID BIOS or the chip, which is necessary for the mobo to see the SATA drive. The drivers are for the OS, just like the mobo drivers you load from CD after you install the OS.

Last edited: 2005/08/24
  17. 2005/08/24
    Christer

I have never made a partition active since I stopped using FDISK. The XP-installer does that all by itself.

I have never had to update the BIOS to get a SATA to work but that may be due to the release date of the motherboards but it is good information that BIOS is a parameter.

I had to disable RAID on the Gigabyte motherboard. I did that becuae RAID wouldn't be used, not to get the SATA to be recognized.

(I wonder why Gigabyte have chosen RAID enabled as the default. Most people don't use it and may have problems. The few who use it will probably know how to enable it.)

I have never had to go the "F6 route ". (Never = not on the two SATA installations I have done.)

The next build will be interesting ...... :eek: ...... not only one but two SATAs.

Christer

18. 2005/08/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Well, maybe :) Windows Vista loads an MS RAID driver by default - presumably if the mobo has a RAID controller chip, but this was not enough for Windows to see my SATA drive - I still had to load the Via RAID driver to achieve this.

But this is only Beta 1 - plenty of time to go before RTM.

19. 2005/08/24
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Have you looked? The installer certainly didn't for me!

The installer also didn't in the thread you quoted.

Mine was the only case I've personally encountered where installation was done with an ATA disk (which DOS/Windows considers to be c:\) and a SATA disk (D:\); otherwise haven't needed to make a disk active, and really don't know whether the other SATAs are. I shall look if I get the oportunity.

Suspect the BIOS update is fortuitous and coincidentally worked for some inexplicable reason (even twice). None of the participants even looked at what the install program did! The originator of the thread should have just made his SATA active and there wouldn't have been a need for the thread! A case of the blind leading the blind!

That's probably good practice, but suspect you didn't need to do that! Might try without doing it to see. Can't on the Asus board; it's automatically off with a lone SATA disk installed.

Last edited: 2005/08/24
  20. 2005/08/24
    Christer

PeteC,

I have searched quite a lot and found fragments of information here and there. One fragment is that the new "ataport" which consists of two "miniports ", one for PATA and one for SATA, will be released with Vista. (I can't find the source right now ...... :eek: ......) It would be a good thing to include it in SP3 for XP, if another SP is forthcoming.

sparrow,

Well, I'm not sure but my C: has the same "labels" as PeteCs: "Healthy" and "System ". I have no other primary partitions but PeteC does and they have the "labels ": "Healthy" and "Active ". I assumed that the partition marked "System" is active and other non-system partitions which are active are marked "Active ".

They didn't mention it at all, didn't say they did but didn't say they didn't either ...... ;) ...... !

A quote from that discussion:

There was a change in boot options which must be related to the issue.

I will when I receive the components for the next BOAC (Box Of Assembled Components).

Christer

21. 2005/08/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Hi Christer

My English was not so good :eek:

I confirm that Windows Vista Beta 1 loads a Raid driver by default (on a RAID capable board), but this was not enough for Windows Vista to see my SATA drive - I still had to load the Via RAID driver to achieve this.