1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Acronis True Image 8 verses Norton Ghost 9

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Rockit, 2004/09/24.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/09/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Maverick--The new Ghost 9 or the Ghost version that ships as part of Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004.

2. 2004/09/28
    Maverick

Maverick Inactive

Definitely available in v9.0
    ===========

Norton Ghost 9.0

Symantec's Norton Ghostâ„¢ 9.0 provides advanced backup and recovery for your PC. Protect your data by making a backup of your entire hard drive's contents - without restarting Windows®. Incremental backups save you time and disk space. You can even schedule backups to run automatically. Quickly restore individual files, selected folders, or the entire hard drive.

• NEW! " Hot imaging" lets you create backup images without restarting Windows®. **
    • NEW! Incremental backup updates save time and disk space.**
    • NEW! Scheduled backups automatically keep your backup image up to date.**
    • NEW! Symantec Recovery Disk lets you restore data from a backup image even when the computer can’t start up into Windows.
    • Works with a wide range of hard drives and removable media, including CDR/RW and DVD+-R/RW drives, USB and FireWire® (IEEE 1394) devices, and Iomega® Zip® and Jaz® drives
    • Restores data from images created with PowerQuest™ Drive Image™ 7.0 and previous versions of Norton Ghost.**
    • LiveUpdate™ keeps Norton Ghost updated automatically over the Internet
    ================

I do not believe v9.0 is included in NSW Pro 2004. If it isn't, you can always purchase it and use the update feature whereby you can download the latest add-ons.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/10/01
    Vivian

Vivian Inactive

Ghost 9 review

Just purchased Norton Ghost 9 and am amazed how easy is to install and use. It's hard to believe it can do the backup while you're working on something else. The incremental backup is a real plus too. Now that external, fast USB 2.0, HDs are reasonably priced, I finally have an effective means to do regular backups.

5. 2004/10/01
    snag

snag Inactive

acronis vs..????

i've used acronis since ver. 7 and have been happy with it...with ver. 9 it's possible to do incremental backups and verification so u don't run into the problem of corrupted images...

6. 2004/10/01
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

just a little info...

Ghost 9 is basically DriveImage7 with a new look. (That's one way to get Ghost to work properly. :D )
    So if you are considering changing to Ghost 9 and you have DriveImage7 you won't gain much.

B :cool:

7. 2004/10/03
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Hi All: Well, I have both Drive Image 7 (Version 2.0.3.402) and Acronis True Image 7 (build 763) on this machine. I have both set up to do scheduled backups, Drive Image 7 set to create a full backup 3 days a week and True Image to create an incremental backup daily. (nothing like being redundant, but when you hold the world's record for crashes, there is no such thing as too many backups!)

Both of these programs have advantages and disadvantages.

DI 7 is bloatware and was recently bought out by Symantic, with their penchant for bloatware and such poor tech support (at least in my experience) I was really sorry to see this happen. Besides it being bloatware, when booting from CD, you have to load drivers for any raid enabled drives, and if you miss the cue, you got to start over. Too, if you have a bunch of drives like I do, all the drive letters are changed when booting from the CD and it gets very confusing. It is also very pricey. But I have used it to restore this machine and it has performed flawlessly.

What I like about TI7 is that you can restore "C" from within Windows. The restore files can be saved to a partition you create from within the program that can only be seen by TI7. I would assume that this would protect the images from corruption by other software. But if your machine boots, you can restore with a couple of clicks. The downside is you have to dedicate a lot of space for the incremental images, and once that space fills, the only way I can find to allow continued backups, other than allocating many gigs, is to wipe the special partition and start over. Which means I have no backups that were made prior to service pack 2. I have used TI7 to do a restore of "C" from within Windows and it performed flawlessly also.

I have no experience with Norton's Ghost. My suggestion would be to get trial versions of each of the programs and experiment with them. Go with the one that you like best.

Martin

8. 2004/10/03
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

9. 2004/10/03
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

'Tis a splended utility - but not quite as user-friendly as the alternatives.

10. 2004/10/03
    charlesvar

Thanks brett, got that from the exchange between Langa and one of his readers. Apparently they have trouble writing manuals.

This is the one I will try - been thinking that its time for this kind of backup.

Regars - Charles

11. 2004/10/03
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I've been meaning to give BootIt a try too. I downloaded it about a month ago but just haven't got around to messing with it. The only negative comments I've seen about it is what brett said. Otherwise, always positive things. If it works like they say, I'll be using it for good. A boot manager, imaging tool and partitioning tool all in one. It's hard to pass up a utility like this that's priced as it is. The three utilities can be purchased seperately but looking at the pricing I can't see why one would want to do that. Here's a link for those that would like to take a look.

BootIt Next Generation

12. 2004/10/31
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

BootIt NG

Hey,
    Did anybody try this yet? .. Just curious since I'm now having problems with True Image again :(

Thanks
    Rockit

13. 2004/10/31
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

Read the previous 4-5 posts :rolleyes:

B :cool:

14. 2004/10/31
    charlesvar

Hi Rockit,

If you mean BootIt, I haven't had a chance yet....after November I'll get to it.

Wonder if Zander has?

Regards - Charles

15. 2004/10/31
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

Charles,
    Yes I'm asking about Bootit NG. Guess I should have been more specific. Anyway let us know how you like it ...

Cheers
    Rockit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.