1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows XP doesn't Recognize any External Devices

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Evan Omo, 2006/10/02.

1. 2006/10/02
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    I recently did a repair install on my OS and everything works great. When I log onto my computer it loads fine but when I try to plug in a USB keyboard or a USB Flash Drive to a USB port Windows XP doesn't detect the device. :mad: I also have a sound system form Labtec which Windows doesn't detect that I have a sound device plugged in. I have already checked to see whether the hardware is plugged into the right ports and I have tried unplugging the devices and plugging it back in with no luck. :( I don't know why Windows isn't detecting the devices. Do you think its because I don't have the correct driver for the hardware? :confused:

Anyway please let me know how I can resolve this issue. Thanks! :)

2. 2006/10/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Look in Device Manager (right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager) - are there any items flagged with an ! or ? on a yellow ground. Look especially under Sound, Video and Game Controllers and Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Post back with this info and we can proceed with troubleshooting.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/03
    Evan Omo

Hello PeteC,
    I have ran a few tests on my computer and I have determined that either I don't have the correct driver for any USB devices or the actual USB port is unusable. I have looked inside my computer and all of my hardware is connected like its supposed to be. In the device manager, there are no ? or ! beside any devices but I saw on a couple of devices like my system speakers, it said there is no driver installed. My USB keyboard and my USB Flash drive work on my dad's computer so my actual devices are fine. :cool:

Anyway I tried a repair install on my OS to see if that would correct the issue but that didn't work. :( Also if you plug in a USB device for the first time in the USB port the OS should detect it and install the driver automatically. I don't recieve any hint that Windows XP detected the device. I also don't have internet on my system so that could be why the computer can't check for driver updates. :mad:

So the bottom line is my hardware devices work fine on my dad's computer but they don't work on my computer. Either because I don't have the correct driver for the USB devices or the USB ports have been corrupted somehow.

Please let me know on what you think I should do. Thanks! :) ;) :D

5. 2006/10/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Evan

Do any other USB devices work on your computer?

Have you checked in the BIOS to ensure that USB is enabled? That option may not exist, but worth checking.

You presumably have more than one USB port - I assume that they all behave the same?

Even though you have made a repair install I would still go into Device Manager and remove all the USB controllers and root hubs and reboot to allow Windows to reinstall them.

The only other real suggestion I have at this time is to reload the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

As you have no internet connection on that computer you will need the use of another to download the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website or the OEM website if you have an OEM computer (HP, Gateway, etc)

If you don't know the make and model no. of your motherboard download Everest and install it on your computer - it will give you complete system info, including motherboard details.

6. 2006/10/04
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Evan Omo--In DEvice Manager, what do you see when you click on the + to the left of Universal Serial Bus Controllers? Any warning signs next to one of the individual controllers/hubs/devices?. Do any of the have the word Enhanced in their name?

7. 2006/10/05
    Evan Omo

Hello PeteC,
    I have 2 USB ports on my computer and both of them behave the same. :mad: I have plugged different USB devices in the 2 USB ports to check if the symptoms that I am experiencing are the same for each decive and they are. :mad: I have gone into the BIOS and reset my BIOS settings back to their defaults but that didn't make a difference. I have also gone into Device Manager and I don't even see any USB Controllers or root hubs to uninstall. :( I will do a few more tests on my computer and then I will reinstall the chipset drivers for my motherboard and hopefully that will fix the problem. :D :) ;)

Last edited: 2006/10/05
  8. 2006/10/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

That explains why no USB devices are working.

Did you check in BIOS for a setting to enable/disable USB rather than just reset the defaults - which could be USB disabled?

If reloading the chipset drivers does not resolve the problem I am at a loss for an explanation and cannot find anything of specific use to you in restoring them on Google - apart from the BIOS.

I have asked another Team Member to look at this.

9. 2006/10/05
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Evan:

Couple of quick questions that may help re: figuring out a potential fix. Can you give us a heads up on what motherboard you are running and the processor? Also, does your version of Windows include SP2? And those USB ports that are misbehaving - are they on the back of the machine protruding from what is technically called the IO plate (up by your PS2 Mouse and Keyboard ports) or are they further down towards the bottom in a slot on a card? If they are not on that IO plate, have you looked inside the case to see where the wires go and how they are connected.

Sorry for all the questions but the more information you can provide, the easier its going to be to figure this thing out.

Regards,
    ;)

10. 2006/10/05
    Evan Omo

Hello Rockster2U,
    Just to let you know my 2 USB ports that are on the back of my machine are right below my PS/2 ports on the IO Plate. I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. My processor in an Intel Pentium 4, 1.5 GHz. I am not sure what the name of my motherboard is but I do know what chipset my motherboard uses. Its an Intel 845 chipset. As far as I can tell I have checked my hardware cables to make sure everything is plugged in correctly and it looks like everything is how its supposed to be. :cool:

It seems my only other option is to reinstall my chipset drivers for my motherboard and hope that solves the problem. :)

Last edited: 2006/10/05
  11. 2006/10/06
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Here is the chipset drivers (inf update)
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...ID=757&DwnldID=5010&agr=N&lang=eng&PrdMap=757

In Device Manager, USB is usually at the bottom of the list and uses the full terminology...Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If it does not appear, then I would certainly agree that the problem seems further back down the line, like a BIOS setting or a wrong/loose connection of the wiring.

If all else fails, USB PCI add-in cards are inexpensive and easy to get. It may not be able to run your keyboard outside of Windows, so you may need to have a PS/2 keyboard as backup.
    Edit: sorry to jump to the bottom line, but the long road will probably involve getting the motherboard manual (meaning identifying the motherboard first, using the ID method at Intel if Everest does not completely identify it). Checking for "disabled" settings, which I could not see as disabling themselves. Checking the wiring diagrams and connections and maybe finally finding that the USB system has been "burnt-out" :(. PCI add-in card time anyway.

You should find and become familiar with your motherboard manual in any case :). Your motherboard should have it's own webpage (depending on the support of the manufacturer) where you will find answers to lots of questions you will probably be asking in the future (what is the maximum CPU it can run for example).

Matt
    Edit 2: From what I can see at Intel, it looks like the 845 chipset is USB 1.1. You will probably want/need USB 2.0 sooner or later anyway.

Last edited: 2006/10/06
  12. 2006/10/06
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

I think Matt gave you some pretty good food for thought and, as Pete mentioned earlier, there is usually a BIOS setting for enabling USB ports. Unfortunately, some of those Intel boards and most OEM boards don't give a user much access to make changes in the BIOS. The best terminology I ever heard on this described them as "crippled ". It is going to be very tough to go much further withour knowing exactly what your motherboard is but I will add that some boards have USB power on jumpers which permit one to enable or disable each set of 9 pin USB headers. This isn't going to apply to your situation because the ports are mounted or hardwired on the motherboard. So, you are back to (yes, its a redundant statement) chipset drivers and BIOS settings or as an alternative, an add-on card.

;)

13. 2006/10/06
    Evan Omo

Thanks you guys I appreciate all of the information you guys are giving me for a potential fix. I will update my chipset drivers for my motherboard and see if that solves the problem. :cool:

If updating my chipset drivers for my motherboard doesn't solve the problem then its not the end of the world. I am going to upgrade my computer in about 6 months. I am going to get Windows Vista, a new motherboard that supports ATI, PCI x16 graphics cards, a new ATI Radeon X1900 XTX 512 MB PCI x16 graphics card, a new AMD processor, and 2 GB of RAM for my system. :) ;) :D

If all else fails and I can't solve the problem myself then I know a computer technician that I can call and hopefully he can solve the problem. :)

Last edited: 2006/10/06
  14. 2006/10/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Well, good luck and keep us posted with the outcome. What rather puzzles me is that your USB ports presumably worked before you made the repair install. It would be some coincidence if the mobo failed at precisely the same time as the repair.
    PCI Express? most do these days so I guess that is a minor typo :)

15. 2006/10/06
    Evan Omo

PeteC,
    You were correct in that before I did a repair install on my OS my USB ports worked fine but after the repair install no external devices were recognized by Windows. :( Its a very strange coincidence and a very strange problem. :confused: I will post back in a few days to let you know if reinstalling my chipset drivers for my motherboard solves the porblem. :)

Thanks again for your help PeteC. I greatly appreciate your advice. :) ;) :D :cool:

16. 2006/10/07
    Evan Omo

Hi all,
    Unfortunatly reinstalling the chipset drivers for my motherboard didn't solve the problem. :( I know for a fact that I installed the correct driver because I used the motherboard identification utility provided by Intel and it said that I have an 845 chipset. I updated my computer by getting the latest windows updates, I defraggmented and cleaned out my harddrives and I checked my computer for errors. I have tried everything I can think of including system restore and chkdsk. Nothing that I have tried seems to have worked. :mad:

As a last resort I can call a computer technician that I know and he can solve the problem. :)

17. 2006/10/08
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Did you find that "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" appears in Device Manager? If not, run the Add (New) Hardware wizard in Control Panel. If Windows cannot detect it, you can force Windows to install the drivers by selecting them from the list using the selection options in the wizard.

If the Controllers do appear in Device Manager, keep uninstalling those with the title Controller and rebooting. When the hardware wizard runs at startup and asks for where to find the drivers, try to direct it to the files that were unzipped/decompressed from the chipset drivers. It will be looking for the .inf file for the USB.

Try different ways of going through the hardware wizard.

Matt

18. 2006/10/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Maybe :)

As Matt posted earlier re PCI cards, in view of the fact you intend to build a new PC in the next 6 months ....

PCI USB card = $

Computer tech = $$$ ?

:)

19. 2006/10/08
    Evan Omo

Hello Mattman,
    I will defenitly try using the Add Hardware Wizard to see if I can find the drivers to install. If that fails do you guys know where I could download and install a USB 1.1 Driver for Windows XP? :confused:

20. 2006/10/09
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

The Intel drivers (inf update) that I linked to will be the only ones available that I know of, you need to accept the agreement when installing them which means they are "owned" by Intel.

Here is the list of Intel southbridge chips:
    You should see the southbridge chip clearly on the motherboard and be able to read the model number printed on it. If it does not match any of those (from what I can see it should be one starting with 82801**) then it is an OEM motherboard, that is, one manufactured for branded computers like HP, Gateway, etc. You would then need to find drivers at the OEM's website (they might be available for download or might not).

Even if you installed another set over the current set, they may still not work. If the current drivers are "stuck ", you will need to uninstall them and reinstall them as I said in my last reply. If they are standard Intel drivers, you can't lose them because they are on the Windows CD, so don't worry if you see the message "You are about to remove this device from your system... ". Intel drivers are the easiest to install :)rolleyes: although sometimes it takes several reboots for Windows to identfy them).

---------------------------------------------------------------
    There is one setting that can be made in the BIOS. There will be one that says "Plug and Play OS installed" set this to No.

Matt

Last edited: 2006/10/09
  21. 2006/10/09
    Evan Omo

Hello Mattman,
    Thanks for your reply. :) I will take a look at my motherboard and see if there are any other drivers to install for it.

I also went to System Information and I searched for USB and I noticed that all of my USB drivers were installed. :p

I am starting to think that maybe my hardware is falling apart on my computer because I got my computer for free from a neighbor who makes computers and I have had it for 2 years but before I got the computer it was used in an office and it was a standard office PC and it once had Windows 98 on it. :rolleyes: So my computer is quite old even though I have had it for only 2 years. Maybe my hardware is finally wearing out. :(