1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Error message from CopyOneDrive using Ghost 9.0

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Welshjim, 2006/09/10.

1. 2006/09/10
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive Thread Starter

The thread http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=57516 is getting a bit long and may discourage reading.
    In summary, Ghost9.0 will no longer perform CopyOneDrive of my C:\ drive to a partition on an external USB harddrive, whereas it has been doing this successfully for over a year. C:\ is my PC's hard drive and contains the OS. (The partition in question will still accept a Ghost9.0 Backup with no problems.)
    I have only now found a error message from Ghost as follows
    "Description: Cannot complete copying of (C:\) drive.
    Details: The volume contains system or paging files. "

(It is true I had a problem with paging files on the C:\ drive just about the time the problem with CopyOneDrive started. I have changed the Virtual Memory settings to 1500MB Min and Max on C:\ (in Control Panel|System) and everything seems OK again. )

What does the above message want me to do? Is the "volume " referred to the C:\ drive or the external partition?
    What can I do to get rid of the "system or paging files" which seem to be causing the problems?

2. 2006/09/11
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Now, that I have reread the old thread, I see the connection between the pagefile issue and "CopyOneDrive" versus a BackUp. If you attempt a BackUp, Windows will not lose its pagefile on the target partition but if you attempt CopyOneDrive, the target partition would be overwritten and Windows does not accept that. Are we on the right track?

What is the pagefile situation on all drives (partitions)? You have a pagefile on C: set to Min=Max=1500MB. Are there any "additional" pagefile on any other drive (partition) other than the troublesome one (that can not be set to "no pagefile ")?

I assume that the target HDD is in a USB enclosure, right? Does it contain anything valuable other than the "Ghost partitions "? If so, back it up!

Disconnect the USB enclosure and restart the computer. Open regedit and search for MountedDevices. You will find a number of entries for \DosDevices\ "driveletter ". Delete the values for the partitions on the HDD in the USB enslosure. Close regedit and restart the computer.

Check the pagefile properties (should be on C: only since no other HDDs are connected). Reconnect the USB enclosure and the hard disk/partitions should be redetected. Check the pagefile properties and keep your fingers crossed.

Again: If anything vital on that HDD - BackUp - BackUp - BackUp!

Christer

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/09/11
    Welshjim

Christer--Thanks for your response.
    I found Mounted Devices--actually there are two keys in Registry (could that be part of the problem?)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevice1 and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

I only have one hard drive on my PC and with the exception of a very small partition (50MB or so for a Dell Utility courtesy of Dell), all the rest is my C:\ drive in another single partition.
    Maybe I should delete that whole HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevice1 Key?
    I just noticed that the external drive partition with which I am having the problem is not listed under DOS Devices (or anywhere else in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevice1 key).
    But I will continue to answer your questions.
    Yes, the destination (target) partition is on an external USB harddrive, which has four partitions. The Page File setting for all those is "System Managed Size "--no numerical data given.
    The partition to which I have been trying to CopyOneDrive was formatted before I tried CopyOneDrive, so there was no data to overwrite. The other three partitions on the USB drive have various back up data in case of an emergency--nothing that cannot be replaced if I act quickly. I would not have anywhere to back it up anyway.
    I will wait until I hear further from you.
    What is the worst outcome you can think of? I gather you think the data on the external partitions might be lost, or? I would plan to back these up (create .reg files) before I did any deleting. Or would that not help restore any lost data?

The options as I see it are
    1) Delete the whole HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevice1 key
    2) Delete only the external HD partitions from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevice1 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Last edited: 2006/09/11
  5. 2006/09/12
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

It IS possible that space is not available on the destination drive because CopyOneDrive may function differently that earlier versions of Ghost. For example, in ghost 2003 (the one I use) one does a Partition To Image operation & the only thing that gets imaged is the space that used partition space and the free space is images in the form of a reference, i.e. the free space does not get copied.

Cloning is a different type of operation. Cloning copies everything afaik, even the free space.

Have you searched through these:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...108?OpenView&Start=1&Count=30&Expand=4&Src=#4

btw, ghost 2003 comes w/ ghost 9 and can be used!

6. 2006/09/12
    Christer

Jim,
    to be honest, I am in muddy waters here (that's why I said "BackUp" repeatedly) and the suggestion is based on a fix when a clone gets the wrong drive letter after cloning. This can happen if the target drive has been seen by Windows and is listed under MountedDevices. If the drive or partition is listed as any other drive letter than C: in MountedDevices, it will retain that drive letter and Windows will not boot. The system can be booted from a floppy, the regentry modified and drives redetected on next boot when the first partition on the Master on the IDE1 controller should be given C: which renders the clone bootable.

The above has nothing to do with your situation but I thought that removing the references to the drives (partitions) would prompt Windows to redetect and hopefully let you select "no pagefile" on the partitions on the USB drive. A long shot that might hit the target.

About MountedDevices1, a quick googling indicated that it is a leftover from a Partition Magic operation. It is there for trouble shooting but is not used by the system. Since it is not used by the system, my conclusion is that it can be either left as is or be deleted.

Since the USB HDD is not represented in MountedDevices1, start by leaving it alone and delete the correct entries in MountedDevices.

Tony,
    I too use Ghost 2003 and when you clone Disk-to-Disk, it only transfers used space. I have done that from a 40GB HDD to a 20GB HDD and I had the option to adjust partition sizes. For Ghost 2003 to transfer everything, the switch -ia (image all) has to be used.

As I understand it, there is no counterpart of Disk-to-Disk in Ghost 9/10. You would have to do CopyOneDrive a number of times to get all partitions and you can select to include the MBR or not. I'm sure Jim can either confirm or tell us otherwise.

Christer

7. 2006/09/12
    Christer

Jim,
    another approach might be to uninstall the USB HDD in Device Manager, unplug it and restart the computer. Next, plug it in again.

What I am trying to acchieve with my suggestions is to make Windows forget about the pagefile settings for those partitions which hopefully will make it possible to select "no pagefile" for those partitions.

Christer

8. 2006/09/12
    Welshjim

Christer--I tried both your suggestions. And when I tried CopyOneDrive on a formatted partition (Z:\), each time everything seemed to go well. I was so pleased. Then when I clicked on the Partition to view its contents, I got an error message "Z:\ is not accessible. Error performing inpage operation ". I was no longer so pleased. :(
    I checked on the Page File settings.
    1) In the case of uninstalling and reinstalling the external hard drive the external partitions were all "System Managed Size ". But this time I was able to change the setting to "No Paging File ". Tried to CopyOneDrive again and this time it would not work. Got the error message reported before "To complete the operation, insert the product installation CD and reboot... ". I had learned before that this was not a bootable CD, so I booted from the Symantec Recovery Disk (I found it!!), but could not figure out how to CopyOneDrive from it. (I tried both System Recovery Disk|Advanced Recovery Tasks|System Restore and just using the Recovery Disk to open Ghost. It would not open Ghost and I forgot to copy the Error Message.)

2) In the case of deleting the external drive's DOS-Devices keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, the Page file settings were reset at "No Paging File ", but as you can see that did no good as far as CopyOneDrive is concerned. All the external drives partitions were maintained (except for drive letter) on reboot and retained their data.

There are some other strange things such as Partition Magic shows Z:\ as containing the appropriate amount of Used Space. But right clicking My Computer|Z:\|Properties shows 0/0 Used and Free space. And Administrative Tools|Computer Management|Disk Management shows Z:\ as all Free Space.

I do not think this partition is corrupt per (http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/act...crosoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141117 ) since I can copy other data to it as mentioned earlier (such as a Ghost Backup). I have also run Error Checking (ScanDisk) on it.
    I am stumped.

P.S. Thanks for the info on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevice1

9. 2006/09/12
    Christer

Jim,
    I have no further suggestions ... :confused: ... other than taking the HDD out from the USB enclosure and install it internally to see what happens. Is it a PATA or a SATA?

Christer

10. 2006/09/13
    Welshjim

A kind person let me use a copy of Ghost.exe. (I gather this activates the Ghost2003 files that ship with Ghost9.0 though that may be incorrect.)
    I was able to successfully make a Clone (CopyOneDrive) on the external harddrive partition which had all the problems with Ghost9.0. The only downside was that it took just over 10 hours for 19GB of data. But at least I have a route to Clone again.
    If anyone knows how to speed Ghost2003 up, please let me know.
    I may post all this on a Ghost Forum. Does anyone have a suggestion of the proper forum?

11. 2006/09/13
    Christer

I believe I suggested (in the first thread) to try RADIFIED Forums (link in my sig).

Transfer rates differ depending on hardware but it seems like Ghost is picky about the USB drivers. There is a long thread over there about a better USB driver.

If you have a connector hanging loose in the case, hook up the HDD internally and create an image, just to do a test.

On my hardware with the target HDD in a mobile rack (slave on the same controller as the source HDD), I get a transfer rate of approximately 1GB/min (±10% depending on inner or outer tracks on the HDDs)

As an aside, this discussion has convinced me that I am doing the right thing, sticking with Ghost 2003 for as long as possible.

Christer

12. 2006/09/14
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Ghost speed (using ghost 2003) is determined by:
    1. hardware (cpu speed, hd speeds, etc)
    2. compression ratio (high compression is slowest, next is Fastest, ect. I always use Fastest setting)
    3. size of partition that is being used

For example, I ghost my desktop C partition (4 MB used, sata2 hd, p4 3.02 ghz) in 2.5 minutes, destination D partition.

If you have other hd partitions on the internal disk it may be faster to use that as a destination & then manually move the gho to usb (just before bedtime!)

Also, consider that 20 GB is an awful lot to ghost! I use ghost this way:
    After I install the os & all 3rd party apps, tweaks, settings, printers, etc, I make a gho image. I make several images in the first month of using the new install. I don't save or keep any important data on my C partition, ie val-docs, music, video, etc. I don't ever use My Documents dir for anything or I move that dir to a separate partition.

You must be using the C drive for more than just programs to have 20 GB used.

Last edited: 2006/09/14
  13. 2006/09/14
    Christer

TonyT,

I'm sure it's an early morning before first cup of coffee typo but you mean 4 GB used ... :p ... right? Your transfer rate is ~1.6GB/min.

My hardware is 1GHz/266MHz Athlon, two identical 120GB/8MB Hitachi 7K250 (PATA), source on HDD0 and target on HDD1 both on IDE0 and I get ~1GB/min.

I and other members over at RADIFIED Forums have carried out a few tests and found out that the motherboard chipset and file system (FAT32 or NTFS) have a much more significant impact on the transfer rate than the CPU speed. Even the HDD model and/or firmware has a more significant impact than the CPU speed.

Christer

14. 2006/09/14
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

oops...was during my coffee!
    I meant 4 GB.
    SATA2 seems to make a world of difference too, almost twice as fast as sata1, pata or ide for me.

15. 2006/09/14
    Christer

16. 2006/09/15
    Welshjim

TonyT--Using a Ghost.exe boot disk, how would I change the compression? I see no such setting offered.

17. 2006/09/15
    Christer

When you have selected the source partition, target partition and typed a file name, the next screen asks to compress or not. There are three choices but as long as there is space on the target without compression, that is the "default ".

Christer
    (who has done it quite a few times but doesn't remember the exact wording ... :eek: ... it must have something to do with the change in hair colour)

18. 2006/09/16
    Welshjim

Christer--Thanks as always. The Ghost2003 boot disk is a bare minimum containing only Ghost\Ghost.exe. I do not think I have the options to compress you mention. However, the partition is large enough to contain the data. Maybe the options show up only if that is not the case.
    I understand that the Ghost9.0 installation actually includes Ghost2003. But I cannot not find it. Do you or anyone else know how to start Ghost2003 from a Ghost9.0 installation?
    Or maybe I did not get Ghost2003, since my Ghost9.0 installation is from NortonSystemWorks Premier.

Last edited: 2006/09/16
  19. 2006/09/16
    Christer

Strange ... :confused: ... which version of ghost.exe is it? To find out, open a cmd window and navigate to the correct folder and type in: "ghost.exe -ver ".

Mine is as shown in the attachment.

Christer

20. 2006/09/16
    Welshjim

Christer--the file Ghost.exe is not on my Harddrive. Only on that boot disk.
    Sounds like Ghost.exe has not been installed by Ghost9.0.
    BTW, I have posted on the Radified forum.

21. 2006/09/17
    Christer

I thought you were using this file

but you should be able to check the file version on the CD, right?

I have noticed and will follow with interest!

Christer