1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Problems with CopyOneDrive (formerly Clone) using Ghost 9.0

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Welshjim, 2006/09/07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2006/09/07
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive Thread Starter

Please, no lectures on Acronis True Image. :)
    I have been using Ghost 9.0 for about a year to make Backups and also CopyOneDrive (what used to be call Clone) for about a year. I backup/copy my C:\ drive perhaps once a month to two different partitions on an external USB hard drive.
    No problems in the past.
    The size of the data on my C:\ drive is about 19GB. The partitions on the the external drive are about 28GB. They are Primary and Active.
    I usually format the partitions on the external drive before both a new backup and copy.
    I made a new Backup a couple of days ago. No problem. Then I tried to make the CopyOneDrive and got the message
    "This operation cannot be performed while Windows is running. You must complete this operation using Symantec Recovery Disk. Would you like to continue? Yes/No "
    To me, the message makes no sense. I cannot use Ghost if I am not running Windows, can I? And I have no Symantec Recovery Disk anyway.
    Just to test if there was something wrong with the external drive partition I was using for CopyOneDrive, I made a Backup (instead of CopyOneDrive) on it. No problem.
    So what to do?

Perhaps it is not needed to read further, since I am not sure the following is pertinent. And may even be confusing. (If, however, you think I should use the Ghost CD itself in place of a System Recovery Disk which I do not have, then read the last paragraph.)

Just prior to all this, Windows gave me a notice that my PageFile for Windows was too small. I am not knowledgeable about the page file, but I went into Control Panel|System to set the PageFile to minimum 1022MB, maximum 1500MB. That seemed to make Windows happy. If anyone feels this is inappropriate, please let me know. (I have a single 160GB harddrive and 1GB RAM.) I cannot remember the settings before I made this change, but this may not be important, since I think they were something Windows set automatically (and minimally) to allow me into System's Virtual Memory window where the page file size could be changed.
    Shortly thereafter is when I used Ghost. As mentioned, I had no problem when making the Backup, but only when I tried to make the CopyOneDrive, I first got a message something along the lines that the partition's page file was not correct or too small. I again went into System|Advanced|Performance|Settings|Advanced|Virtual Memory tab and saw that the radio button for "No paging file" was dotted for the partition I wanted to use for CopyOneDrive. I changed that to "System Managed size" (which I think conformed with the page file settings for the other external drive partitions), rebooted and tried to CopyOneDrive again. That is when I got the System Recovery Disk message quoted above. And I cannot change the radio button back to "No paging file ". If I do, get the message "Drive Z:\ is too small for the maximum paging file size specified. Please enter a smaller number. "

It probably is not necessary to read the following at all unless you feel I should use a System Recovery Disk, which I do not have, anyway.
    I read from my Ghost User Guide that the original Ghost CD can be used as a bootable disk instead of the System Recovery Disk (though this info was not specific to the CopyOneDisk, but rather when a true recovery is needed). I do not have a Ghost CD, since I installed Ghost from Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005. I looked all over the NSW CD and could find no System Recovery Disk or info on making one. So I tried booting from the NSW CD. It apparently is not bootable, since although I had inserted the CD in ROM drive, the PC always booted normally into Windows. Of course I had changed my BootSetup to boot from the CD-ROM drive.

2. 2006/09/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Not sure why you get that prompt from ghost, I always do my cloning from a bootable cd I made or from a ghost boot floppy. On another note, if the external drive doesn't have an op sys installed on it then why use a primary partition at all? Whenever I setup data storage drives I always just make an extended partition & logical drives within it.

I use ghost 2003, not sure what version # that is. But once launching ghost, there is a menu selection to create boot disks (aka recovery disk).

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/09/08
    Welshjim

TonyT--I agree the partitions do not have to be Active (which they are not--they are None. Saying they were Active was an error in my first post) or Primary. But the mystery remains that everything worked fine for about a year. Then all of a sudden CopyOneDrive generates these messages.

For the record, since I was able to make a Backup on the partition that had problems with CopyOneDrive, I formatted the partition on which I had the earlier Backup and tried to CopyOneDrive. Now I get a new message
    "Unable to update settings. The selected destination is too small to hold the data. The parameter is incorrect."
    Remember that the two partitions are about the same size (28GB) and the data for CopyOneDrive is the same data and therefore size (19GB) as the data I am successfully making a Backup of.

Last edited: 2006/09/08
  5. 2006/09/08
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Jim,
    as a stubborn Ghost 2003 user, I know next to nothing about Ghost 9/10. The terminology is different. There is no more Partition-to-Image/Partition or Disk-to-Image/Disk but Copy This or Copy That. You talk about CopyOneDrive and CopyOneDisk. Am I correct in understanding "Disk" as "hard disk" and "Drive" as "partition "? Are you mixing up the terminology?

Christer

6. 2006/09/08
    Welshjim

Christer--
    Forgive me, another error on my part. I should have said CopyOneDrive throughout. This is what Norton now seems to call what I think used to be called Clone--a non-encrypted, non-compressed part of the OS Drive. When successfully copied, it can be opened and the individual files viewed by just clicking on them.
    The opening window for Ghost 9.0 offers several choices, among which are Backup Drives and CopyOneDrive to another. What I am "Backing up" and "Copying" in each case is the data on the C:\ drive on the harddrive. In each case I make no modification to the Source when setting the procedures up. I just accept Source Drive as C:\, one of the choices offered by the Wizard.

By the way I have uninstalled and reinstalled Ghost 9.0 before starting this thread. That made no difference.

7. 2006/09/08
    Welshjim

My efforts so far seem to focus the problem on some change in the CopyOneDrive procedure in Ghost 9.0--not my external USB drive or perhaps my hard drive page file problems (which no longer seem to exist as far as Windows is concerned).
    I performed a successful Ghost9.0 Backup of C:\ on the external drive partition which had given the "The selected destination is too small to hold the data" message when I tried the CopyOneDrive procedure. I then formatted the partition on which the Backup had been and tried CopyOneDrive again. No success. We are back to the "can't while Windows is running and need for a Recovery Disk" message.
    The C:\ drive data is the same in each case.
    P.S. I do not think there is a recovery disk for Ghost 9.0. :mad:

8. 2006/09/10
    Welshjim

I am concerned that this thread has been become so complicated that noone is likely to wade through it.
    I have new information which I have posted here
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?p=307746#post307746
    in hopes that the fix may be simpler than originally thought.
    I hope I may be forgiven.

9. 2006/09/11
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I came back to rewade through it but I will grant your wish to continue in a new thread by closing this one. See you in the new one!

Christer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.